Engine Oil Rise

Tinymoon

:
Mazda Cx5 GTD
It has been currently a hot topic in Australia as we received a leaflet from Mazda ask us to monitor the engine oil level closely and regularly in Diesel Engine ( every 1000km or every month) Please read the following link

http://www.derwan.com/download/MazdaDieselCare.jpg.

Have you guys received anything like us here in Australia?

I did little research on Google but not satisfied with what I found.

I though I could seek some light here.

Thanks

Last edited:
lol, I beat you by 3 minutes ... (see my thread)
PS - you should mention the word DIESEL engine somewhere ... This is a DIESEL engine issue only

Appears that Mazda is concerned about fuel getting into the oil supply in a big way. Wonder what the cause could be. Ed

This issue is not just Mazda, but occurs with other diesels including those made by Volvo, VW/Audi, BMW and Ford to name a few.

I am not very familar with modern diesels but it seems most today have particulate filters (DPF) to get the soot out.

Experienced diesel owners, please update us.

This issue is not just Mazda, but occurs with other diesels including those made by Volvo, VW/Audi, BMW and Ford to name a few.

I am not very familar with modern diesels but it seems most today have particulate filters (DPF) to get the soot out.

Experienced diesel owners, please update us.

Yeah, I googled around and found a lot topic talking about engine oil level in diesel engine (equipped with DPF) but keep a close check on oil level every month or 1000 km is just not right.

I read BamW and other brand did a ECU upgrade to fix that.

Any light?

Yeah, I googled around and found a lot topic talking about engine oil level in diesel engine (equipped with DPF) but keep a close check on oil level every month or 1000 km is just not right.

Any light?

Hi

I've got a GT Diesel on order at the moment and this `rising oil issue` is causing me to re-consider my purchase. I have a 320d BMW and have never had this issue in 30,000km's.

I'm also led to believe that the ECU needs to be reset after each oil change which the precludes you doing the oil change yourself - having to pay dealer inflated prices.
I have read of one CX5 owner who has had to replaced oil every 4000km's

I am goiing to speak with selling dealer Monday - and if I don't get a straight answer I will cancel order.

Cheers...

Any light?

The only ways an engine would have a "rising oil-level" is if either coolant is getting into the sump in which case the oil would be coffee-milk coloured or more likely there is over-fueling going on with diesel-oil getting past the pistons into the sump. This is not exceptable [stating the obvious :)] and Mazda needs to take immediate action.

CA

All is revealed,...thanx for that link,..I mean WTF are they thinking? Trying to get the most out of your engine is not being helped by these insane measures. Stick the particulate filter in a position where it can be manually cleaned [if need be]. That way everyone is happy,..and it gives the owner an extra way to kill half and hour every couple of weekends :)

JJ

All is revealed,...thanx for that link,..I mean WTF are they thinking? Trying to get the most out of your engine is not being helped by these insane measures. Stick the particulate filter in a position where it can be manually cleaned [if need be]. That way everyone is happy,..and it gives the owner an extra way to kill half and hour every couple of weekends :)

JJ

Particulates are pretty bad for people's health, so IMHO the requirement is reasonable to have a filter. However, perhaps should have phased-in bio fuel blend over longer period of time.

However, it seems after more reading online (I don't own a diesel model; I am in the US), that down-under it's a pretty big deal, especially for Mazdas:
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1921061 (look for garax 's post from july 1st).

It seems excessive amount of diesel gets into the oil. Theoretically, this engine will not be good for short trips only: need a good run to make sure the filter is cleaned and excess diesel burned / evaporates. However, some drivers with long daily commute reported rising oil level too. People are upset they need to do an oil change more often than their manual states, think it's a defect and don't like to check oil level every 1000 Km (~600 miles). Some people are concerned about having potentially diluted oil damage their engine.
Seems however that Mazda might have fixed the issue in later model cars (but can't find proof, so maybe not). They definitely know, as they released the pamphlets. Some people report no oil level changes. A similar issue with Honda Diesel engine had a recall in the UK for reprogramming the ECU. Some people listen for regen cycle on their filter and make sure it runs to it's completion (not sure how).

Last edited:
To summarize, there seems to be an issue for some drivers but not all.
The issue is disconcerting and does not seem to effect other brands nearly as much, especially those with DPF filter in Australia.
Viability of the vehicle is in question until Mazda actually addresses the issue publicly, perhaps by issuing a recall.

To summarize, there seems to be an issue for some drivers but not all.
The issue is disconcerting and does not seem to effect other brands nearly as much, especially those with DPF filter in Australia.
Viability of the vehicle is in question until Mazda actually addresses the issue publicly, perhaps by issuing a recall.

Hi,

I had a converstaion with Mazda Australia...

To surmize:

Mazda Australia have seen a number of vehicles which have had this issue, but small in comparison to the number sold. The effected vehicles are then given an ECU reflash; with different regeneration parameters I assume and the problem presently has not reapperaed. Mazda also indicated the diesel vehicles are suitable for general / city driving and that interim oil changes less than the 10,000 / six month should not be required.

If what I am being told is truithful from Mazda - I will continue with the purchase of the CX5 diesel.

PS: I had spoken with 3 Mazda dealers re this problem; all dealers indicate no knowledge of the problem. They are either `liar liar pants on fire` or genuinely ignorant of the situation; Mazda Australia neither confirmed or denied whether dealers are aware...

Cheers..

Thanks for the update.
ECU reprogramming can resolve the issue for most people, I believe. This is the first I read of an official fix from Mazda. I don't think the numbers are that small, only that people did not drive enough miles and/or did not check their oil.
Re: dealerships having no knowledge: they are most likely in the dark about this and as such, their opinion should not be considered.
Could you share the Technical Bulletin number for this ECU fix?
From experience (not with Mazda), dealerships will claim ignorance of a fix, unless you give it to them in printed form.

Last edited:
Hi,
PS: I had spoken with 3 Mazda dealers re this problem; all dealers indicate no knowledge of the problem. They are either `liar liar pants on fire` or genuinely ignorant of the situation; Mazda Australia neither confirmed or denied whether dealers are aware...
Cheers..

The dealers absolutely DO know about this problem but I get the impression that they have been told by Mazda to play dumb. I just had my oil changed at 7,000km because the oil was above the "X" indicator. It cost me $149 for oil and labour and I have to do it all again at the 10,000km service which is in only 3,000Km. I am told that this is not a warranty issue although I'm hoping Mazda will step in and do the right thing. I have never previously owned a car where I had to have an expensive oil change because I had too much oil in it! This is a very negative issue for a vehicle which is otherwise excellent.
I've owned close to 30 vehicles and have often had to ring for support. After a while, you get to know when a manufacturer is hiding something and, whilst many diesel models have had similar DPF problems, I certainly get the feeling that this is a particular issue for the CX5 for which Mazda currently has no firm solution. I would have been far less concerned if Mazda had at least acknowledged the issue and given some assurances that it was being addressed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
ECU reprogramming can resolve the issue for most people, I believe. This is the first I read of an official fix from Mazda. I don't think the numbers are that small, only that people did not drive enough miles and/or did not check their oil.
Re: dealerships having no knowledge: they are most likely in the dark about this and as such, their opinion should not be considered.
Could you share the Technical Bulletin number for this ECU fix?
From experience (not with Mazda), dealerships will claim ignorance of a fix, unless you give it to them in printed form.

Update:

Further conversation with Mazda. When the oil is replaced, no ECU changes are performed other than an ECU reset. Mazda have still acknowledged there have been some CX5 diesels with rising oil levels and Mazda Japan are investigating. On a side note it would appear all DPF Diesel (ANY BRAND OF CAR) can suffer from this problem and Honda, BMW, Skoda, VW have had similar issues over time - but not as extreme as Mazda it would seem.

I'm still on the fence - whether to continue with my order or cancel it. I have written to Mazda Australia and hope to get a response.

Main concern is if they don't find a fix quickly.......and I don't want to be paying for multiple oil changes per year!

Cheers

mine was replaced at 1700kms..have lost confidence ,will not be paying if it happens again as i didnt the first time round.... car has done 1780kms now thinking of selling it.

Have read through that entire post on whirlpool.net and a couple of others that were linked in that thread. One of the more interesting posts was this (not the entire post):

" I can quite believe that the dealer did not have a clue. Unfortunately neither does the so called technical services personnel. The problem is the DPF regeneration system which pours fuel into the cylinders under sometimes the wrong operating conditions. You will not have this problem if you regularly drive like a maniac for longer distances (greater than 50km). If you are like me and drive within the speed limit (50km/hr) for local shopping trips of less than 5km then your sump will fill up to the X mark with fuel within 700km (no joke).

I have covered only 20,000km averaging 200km per week and I am now on my 5th oil change. The serious side of this is that, in spite of the frequent oil changes, the reduction in viscosity is causing very high engine wear judging by the high content of wear metals in the oil.

You should complain very strongly to Mazda (as I am) but do not hold your breath."

Mazda! If you cannot provide anything other than spin on this problem then don't bother bringing the diesel to North America. The diesel owners want answers not lip service. If it is indeed a bio-diesel issue then say it.

The real solution is to make the injection into the exhaust stream, as opposed to the cylinder.
DI engines as well as diesel can suffer from oil dilution from fuel anyway, as fuel is injected in large quantities and at high pressures directly into the cylinder.
Having multiple injections (post injection) per stroke only worsens the matter.

Back