Engine Oil Rise

Perhaps the re-gens at present are initiated too early. Or run too long.

So by initialing a re gen at a different , differential pressure the period will be longer between re-gens.

Or it could be that the re gen is longer than necessary. It all depends how the sensor readings are calibrated.
And the repeatability of the sensor is important, the quality etc.

Just some thoughts, only Mazda can answer the question.

Regens galore

I can't see how this would work. Unless they can also reduce the amount of build up in the DPF then less frequent regens would also mean more build up which, in turn, would mean that the actual regen process would take longer to burn off that build up. For me, the regen process already takes around 15km of driving (highway cycle) which is far too long because it means there is always a good chance of having the regen cycle terminated early (ie by arriving at a destination in the middle of a cycle). Making the regens less frequent (but longer in duration) would make this even more likely to happen. I believe that reducing the frequency of regens only makes sense if they also reduce the amount of build up in the DPF.

DPFs in other small diesels seem to last longer between regens. Feedback from Mr Fish in this forum, quoted Mazda engineering sources re the amount of diesel injected on the exhaust stroke to burn off the dpf - and the time between regens.

If the computer drives a regen before the magical 45% full it could mean the kilometres between regens could be increased. Hence the number of regens between services would be less. Dunno about the veracity of the info but it makes engineering sense.

My last two regens occurred around the city. Both completed without interruption. Even if it were interrupted it would resume to finish and should be OK. Mazda Australia said to me in writing that the engine will tolerate a certain amount of diesel in the sump without adverse impact on engine longevity. Otherwise it would not have that dipstick and the warnings about checking the oil etc.

My diesel has not filled with oil as it did before and now lasts between 10k klm services. It uses less diesel now it is run in and the ks between regens has increased. Hang in there.

Last edited:
Hello,
does s.o. know if there is a warning when system is detecting a high oil dilution value. By a warning lamp ? At which level ?
In this case would PCM switch to an emergency program ?
I havent't heart about that for the CX-5. In other Mazda models there is a special warning lamp "fuel in oil".

I would assume no relation to the clipstick variants ( X ) . Means SW independent from clipstick version.

Any information about that ?

Hello,

with assistance of colleagues in the German spoken forum I think I was now able to summarize the CX-5 PCM SW naming:
Relevant for the problem of oil rising is the PCM unit.
For its Software (calibration) there is a file with name in the IDS and an IDS Ident number visibe in the IDS.
They just differ in the middle part of the name:
IDS Ident number: SHxy 18881 v
File name: SHxy 188K2 v

Structure:
Prefix: SH
Variants: xy
01 150 PS FWD manual gearbox
02 150 PS FWD automatic gearbox
1A 150 PS AWD manual gearbox
1B 150 PS AWD automatic gearbox
1J 175 PS AWD manual gearbox
1K 175 PS AWD automatic gearbox

Name type:
18881 | 188K2 for Ident number | for file name

Version Index: v
vM manual gearbox
vA automatic gearbox

Actual SW version is still:
vA = "P"
vM = "R"
Released with IDS 83.03 and no change with following versions up to current 83.06.

Last edited:
We drive a 2011 Mazda CX-7 AWD Turbo and have had the ongoing problem of gas leaking into the oil. The hp fuel pump has been changed numerous times, the injectors twice. Has anyone else had this problem? If you drive a 2011 Mazda CX-7 AWD Turbo you may want to check your oil to ensure it is not above the full line and / or smells of gas.

The smell of gas in the oil is not an indication of how much gas in in the oil. My 07 CX7 has not had a problem with rising oil level and several UOAs have demonstrated that ~1% gas does not effect the wear values.

We drive a 2011 Mazda CX-7 AWD Turbo and have had the ongoing problem of gas leaking into the oil. The hp fuel pump has been changed numerous times, the injectors twice. Has anyone else had this problem? If you drive a 2011 Mazda CX-7 AWD Turbo you may want to check your oil to ensure it is not above the full line and / or smells of gas.

You have a turbo gasoline engine with direct injection.
This is a thread about turbo diesel engines with direct injection.

You need to do two things:

First, get a compression test on your engine.
Second, if you are doing a lot of short cycle driving (start up cold, drive for a very short period of time, shut off, repeat), you need to stop, as your car runs really rich, and the fuel will wash down into the cylinders, and into the oil pan.

If you do one long all highway speed drive a week, you can most likely see a decrease in the oil level as the gasoline burns off.

BC.

CX-5 Diesel -my experience so far

This thread has been very enlightening. I bought a new Diesel CX5 Max Sport Built on 19/12/12 for Australia with VIN no ending 132189. After reading this huge thread i went and checked my dipstick and found it was the B type (54mm between dipstick end and X mark) this surprised me as i assumed it would be the older style with lower X mark. I now carefully follow the procedure in the STB for checking the oil although i haven't had a problem with getting clear readings in the past.
To date i have had no problems with rising oil , i have 9000 K.s on the clock and chose to change oil at 5000km intervals as recommended in Owners handbook for short trips. I use Castrol Edge Professional 5W- 30 fully synthetic oil which meets all the requirements as set out in the owners handbook, but is hugely cheaper than Mazda oil. I have had the car back to the dealer twice, once to reset the oil data after i carried out the first 5000km oil change and the second time to replace a faulty Exhaust gas pressure sensor, which was inducing erratic auto trans shifts.
I am wondering if the dipstick was changed without my knowledge on one of these occasions, or it was manufactured with the B series dipstick . I will ask my dealer tomorrow. I have no regrets with the diesel engine the low down torque is exhilarating i still look for excuses to take it for a drive. i will continue to keep a close eye on the oil level and will also start to take oil samples for testing. If oil dilution from diesel was causing rapid abnormal bearing wear then you would expect this to be reflected in abnormally high amounts of bearing metal in oil samples i wonder if anyone has experienced this ? Thanks to all who have invested so much time and effort to share their experiences and knowledge on this important subject I hope guys like Morsa and others find an acceptable resolution and really enjoy their CX-5's like they should.

tried reading the dipstick 4 times this morning all the readings looked past the x (original dipstick) one last attempt to read tomorrow, My drive is sloped so I have to check the oil elsewhere. If still the same I'll book it in for a new dipstick ecu software upgrade etc...

ECU and Dip-Stick update is now available in the UK.

Iv'e had mine done and the fuel consumption has improved by 8%, in fact is noticeable.

If your dealer says TSB doesn't apply in the UK, lean on him as you do qualify if you have a problem.

I see from earlier posts where the time-scale or frequency of regeneration has been noted. Just out of interest where do you guys see that information?

Alex

tried reading the dipstick 4 times this morning all the readings looked past the x (original dipstick) one last attempt to read tomorrow, My drive is sloped so I have to check the oil elsewhere. If still the same I'll book it in for a new dipstick ecu software upgrade etc...

My garage always sprays the dipstick with brake cleaner, wipes it off then gets a good level reading, try it.
Its not just the CX5 that's a pig to read, the xtrail is also.

Hi you can remove DPF and flash ECU to stop regeneration there are companies that specalise in this service you get better performance and will not effect the MOT when vehicle is out of warranty.problem solved

If the MOT tester sees the PDF is missing it will get a fail, the goal posts have recently changed.

I wouldn't recommend removing it under warranty.

Just checked my CX-5 in to my local Mazda service department (in the local Fiat garage) to have the wing mirror looked at and have been told there are a couple of recalls that they're going to fix at the same time... oil gauge replacement and exhaust pressure sensor replacement!

Just checked my CX-5 in to my local Mazda service department (in the local Fiat garage) to have the wing mirror looked at and have been told there are a couple of recalls that they're going to fix at the same time... oil gauge replacement and exhaust pressure sensor replacement!

my car is booked in for the 17th, the garage confirms they have the new dipsticks in and have had cx-5's in for the oil rise already. I'll check with the service manager what's being done. draining a bit out is not acceptable as that would further increase dilution. I'd prefer a complete oil change or leave it all in as the old X is reached sooner than the new X. A complete oil change will save a return visit under warranty if a subsequent slower rise on top of the existing level takes it up to the new X.

my car is booked in for the 17th, the garage confirms they have the new dipsticks in and have had cx-5's in for the oil rise already. I'll check with the service manager what's being done. draining a bit out is not acceptable as that would further increase dilution. I'd prefer a complete oil change or leave it all in as the old X is reached sooner than the new X. A complete oil change will save a return visit under warranty if a subsequent slower rise on top of the existing level takes it up to the new X.

I've just collected it, has a VERY different looking dip-stick in it (have no idea if this was accompanied by an ecu update though) not sure what the exhaust pressure sensor recall was about but it's been replaced.
Once the engine has had time to cool i'll go out with some tissue and give the oil level a read. I would guess that the oil hasn't been replaced but it's due its second service in 2000 miles (about a month) so will be changed then anyway.

ECU and Dip-Stick update is now available in the UK.

Iv'e had mine done and the fuel consumption has improved by 8%, in fact is noticeable.

If your dealer says TSB doesn't apply in the UK, lean on him as you do qualify if you have a problem.

I see from earlier posts where the time-scale or frequency of regeneration has been noted. Just out of interest where do you guys see that information?

Alex

If this leads to an 8% improvement in fuel consumption it will put me pretty close to the advertised figure based on my recent mpg... fingers crossed!

I've just collected it, has a VERY different looking dip-stick in it (have no idea if this was accompanied by an ecu update though) not sure what the exhaust pressure sensor recall was about but it's been replaced.
Once the engine has had time to cool i'll go out with some tissue and give the oil level a read. I would guess that the oil hasn't been replaced but it's due its second service in 2000 miles (about a month) so will be changed then anyway.

If this leads to an 8% improvement in fuel consumption it will put me pretty close to the advertised figure based on my recent mpg... fingers crossed!

If the dipstick has a 'speed hump' on it that will be dipstick 'C'

If the dipstick has a 'speed hump' on it that will be dipstick 'C'

Sounds like the dipstick I now have. Was able to read the oil level first time, a vast improvement over the original dipstick.
Noticed the iPod had been disconnected from the USB port, could've been for an ecu update, or possibly just for diagnostics for the wing mirror issue it was originally booked in to the garage for.

Today my PCM/ECU was updated to version 18881-P from 18881-K with IDS 83.05
The oil was still rising at a regular pace, now near the old X in 2600 Kms form oil change. I have dipstick "B", fitted in january, no pressure sensor changed.

I understand I was one of the first to receive the ECU update and dipstick B back towards the end of January. This resulted in minor slowing of the oil level rise but still meant I'd reach the original X mark level in around 3,000 to 3,700 miles.

So the 'fix hadn't worked for me.

The dipstick modification with much higher X-mark was clearly a time buying measure by Mazda, to give them some slack with new and existing Mazda owners whilst they really address the issue. This in itself is clearly no fix and this was independently verified by an independent expert.

So for me, I could not continue with the fuel dilution doing untold wear/damage to the engine, the risk of 'self fuelling', the cost of 4 oil changes per year and the most awful customer experience beyond imagination from MazdaUK.

So for me, I pursued a full refund under the sale of goods act 1979 as the vehicle was so far from the performance specification it was deemed 'unfit for purpose'. I'm pleased to say my case has now finally and completely settled. I must stress, MazdaUK were more than difficult at each and every step of the way, both with myself and my dealer but my dealer were a completely different story; helpful and persevering through the same pain with MazdaUK.

I have amassed so much information that I'm looking into a dedicated post or possibly site.

For those of you for whom the fixed has truly worked then I'm pleased for you. For those others, my refund and return of vehicle gives me the peace of mind that I will never, ever have to deal with the atrocious levels of customer service at MazdaUK again.

Back