7500 mile service

Is the first oil change supposed to be done any sooner than the rest of your oil changes?

I too am planning on going w/ the 7500 mile service, but don't know if I should get the first one done sooner. My dealership was telling me that the first change should be done at 5k, but the manual doesn't say anything of that sort. Thoughts?

I only asked because I had a couple of disagreements with a dealer when we had our CX-7 and the leaking turbo seal issue where it would smoke like mosquito control after idling. I did oil changes in between the short and long OCI and they told me living in FL we are in "extreme" temperatures and driving conditions and I could have voided my warranty by going over the recommended OCI. I explained my wife's commute (her car) and showed them the book and it fell into the longer interval but yet they kept threatening it was all my fault. They even used this excuse on me, "the oil looks dirty" wow, really..I just changed it 600 miles ago, as documents by my receipts of oil I purchased and replaced.

I got tired of that dealer any their treatment, traded the car to just get rid of it. The new owner (a guy a knew) eventually had the turbo replaced and the other common issue, AC compressor locked up on his wife while driving, shredding the belt.

So moral of the story is be sure you dealership's service department doesn't suck when you follow the longer OCI.

Is the first oil change supposed to be done any sooner than the rest of your oil changes?

I too am planning on going w/ the 7500 mile service, but don't know if I should get the first one done sooner. My dealership was telling me that the first change should be done at 5k, but the manual doesn't say anything of that sort. Thoughts?

On my 2010 mazda 3 they wanted it right at 5k or as close as possible for the first oil change. Not over not under. I kept with the 5k intervals after that.

I'm planning on doing the same with my cx5. Oil every 5k, tires rotated every 10k.

Dealer is doing all my service...they said 7500...I'll go with that. They eff it up, it's their problem, not mine.

Until 5yr 60k miles, then it's your problem. I doubt 5k vs 7.5k OCI are going to drastically change the lifespan of the engine but either way it likely won't fail while still in the warranty period. Are you going to do the 0-20 synthetic as recommended I assume? I had a slight issue with a local dealer offering the cheaper non synthetic oil.

I live in Cape Coral across the river from Fort Myers. What Mazda dealer are we refering to yetti96? I bought my 07 CX7 from the Ford/Mazda dealer. I let them do the first oil change and watched as they did a good job. I did all my own service after that. Ed

that's true...and yes, I will be going 0-20 Synthetic, we actually discussed that before I signed the papers. I'll have them do a full check of everything before the 60k is up. Actually the reason I chose this dealership was the service department. They did great with a friends car and were very helpful, even made a call to an out of state shop to tell them how they messed something up and were going to have to pay my buddy back...great folks.

I live in Cape Coral across the river from Fort Myers. What Mazda dealer are we refering to yetti96? I bought my 07 CX7 from the Ford/Mazda dealer. I let them do the first oil change and watched as they did a good job. I did all my own service after that. Ed

Ed, we too had a CX-7 (2008 IIRC) from Sam Galloway, bought used in March/April 2010 I think. I had an issue occasionally with the turbo smoking and I brought it in, very common so I thought no biggie. They didn't follow the TSB correctly with regards to the idling then revving to 3k rpms I think for the prescribed times. They just let it idle for an hour and said could not duplicate. I asked about video taping it for duplication, but they said it had to happen on their property. They also claimed my oil was too dirty looking and told me I was over the OCI recommended and was possible to lose my warranty. I was less than 1k miles from the next change that I was going to do myself like normal. As a sign of good faith from me, I told them to change it at my expense. We still grumbled about the proper OCI according the manual vs what they said.
I got there to pick up the car and found an oily rag on the seat...not happy. I walk in and give them their rag back. I noticed the paperwork didn't match the sticker they put on the car as far as oil type. I called and was put on hold for over 10 minutes while they went to find out what oil was used. This point I was ticked at the car, ticked at service, and the Naples shop wasn't even being built yet. Gas mileage was 20-21mpg driving easy, 17 in town. I grew to hate that car, and it wasn't even mine, it was my wife's car.

I traded it in at MINI of Ft Myers where I got a car to rack miles up on as I commute to Naples everyday. Ended up not being too practical for us to both have MINIs so we wanted something bigger, like the CX-7 but not as much of a gas hog and more useful on the space inside (I had little headroom and sight out of the windshield). (I know the guy who bough our CX-7 and the turbo went on it and the AC compressor locked up (2 common issues) right before the warranty ran out and I was sad for him and his wife because she was driving it, but so glad to be out of that car.

So we had the CX-7 for a year, almost...had the MINI for 14 months...now in the CX-5 for just over 2 months and have 6,700 miles on it. It's a bit slow and the tranny shifts too soon but I really like the car. It had tons of room inside of it for us two, our dogs and tons of crap in the the back. Great features like the back-up camera, BSM, Nav for $500, etc.

Now I am using the service department at the Naples dealership; so far, so good. I want to do my own oil changes but for $10-15 more than materials' cost they will do it for me and I stay clean. Once the 60k powertrain is up I will do it all again myself, but for now I am doing 5k 0-20 oil at the dealer...all documented and no haggling over trying to void my warranty because I didn't change the oil when they said to (I followed the book).

Last edited:
Anybody hit 7.5K miles and actually had dealer service/oil change done?

Anybody hit 7.5K miles and actually had dealer service/oil change done?

Yes - Had it done at our favorite Mazda dealer. However, I purchased Mobil 0w20 synthetic oil and the filter separately (oil at Wal-Mart, the filter from the same dealer at a discount) and then provided them with the supplies. The labor was $15, which was much less than my time and aggravation would have cost for a DIY job. Dealer also performed a tire rotation and full-circle inspection for $22. Only complaint was that they didn't check the air pressure in the tires (of if they did, they didn't fill them) and after driving 2 miles from the dealer the TPMS monitor went off. Adding air and re-setting the monitor at home was simple enough but that certainly should have been done by the dealer, IMO.

Yes - Had it done at our favorite Mazda dealer. However, I purchased Mobil 0w20 synthetic oil and the filter separately (oil at Wal-Mart, the filter from the same dealer at a discount) and then provided them with the supplies. The labor was $15, which was much less than my time and aggravation would have cost for a DIY job. Dealer also performed a tire rotation and full-circle inspection for $22. Only complaint was that they didn't check the air pressure in the tires (of if they did, they didn't fill them) and after driving 2 miles from the dealer the TPMS monitor went off. Adding air and re-setting the monitor at home was simple enough but that certainly should have been done by the dealer, IMO.

Alacoyote - Thanks for report.

btw - Did you get a loaner car?

Freeway Mazda says it is the home of the free lifetime oil change. I don't actually have my CX5 yet so I don't know all the details. I'm certainly going to inquire.

Hardest thing about DIY is disposing of the used oil; it used to be easy to drop off somewhere, but the number of places that accept it around here are limited. I try to DIY when I have the time which is usually never!

Last edited:
Freeway Mazda says it is the home of the free lifetime oil change. I don't actually have my CX5 yet so I don't know all the details. I'm certainly going to inquire.

Hardest thing about DIY is disposing of the used oil; it used to be easy to drop off somewhere, but the number of places that accept it around here are limited. I try to DIY when I have the time which is usually never!

When I moved to a new small town I called City Hall to find out where the oil recycling station was. I was told there wasn't one until I said "Well, I guess I'll just have to pour it down the storm drain in front of my house." She shrieked, told me not to and shortly gave me the address of the oil recycling station three blocks from City Hall.

Of course I never would have poured oil into a storm drain but I thought it was funny how I had to threaten to to get her to disclose the location!

Alacoyote - Thanks for report.

btw - Did you get a loaner car?

I assume you're referring to the previous transmission issue and not the TPMS reset. They offered a loaner but we have a third vehicle available so I advised them that we wouldn't need a loaner unless the tranny issue dragged on. They resolved it in a couple of days so there was no need for a loaner.

Had my first service done at 7.3K miles last week, about $59 (synthetic oil as called for in owners manual) w/o tire rotation. Arrived at service department at 7:40AM, car was ready in 1 hour, washed too.

No warranty defects to report or have fixed.

Had mine done over the weekend, they consider NH harsh conditions so it following the 5K schedule (I call it a BS) but need to follow dealer recommendation to get 1st set of free tire replacement program they have.

Total was $56 for 0W20 full syn oil, filter, and a tire rotation. No car wash nor fluids filled up nor lubing of hinges nor adjusting the air pressure in the tires that activated the TMPS on the way home....

6th oil change is free too..... woo ray.... hope I can keep my cool with this dealer that long...

Had mine done over the weekend, they consider NH harsh conditions so it following the 5K schedule (I call it a BS) but need to follow dealer recommendation to get 1st set of free tire replacement program they have.

Total was $56 for 0W20 full syn oil, filter, and a tire rotation. No car wash nor fluids filled up nor lubing of hinges nor adjusting the air pressure in the tires that activated the TMPS on the way home....

6th oil change is free too..... woo ray.... hope I can keep my cool with this dealer that long...

Good report, a different Mazda dealer would be nice except the hook on some free tire program I guess.

My dealer satisfaction was much higher with fluids and tire pressure checked, car washed, little wasted time, no surprises, a good SA that I will use exclusively.

The dealership i purchased mine at in Canada always pays for the first service (which i had done last week at around 9500km or approx 6000miles). They offered to pay for the second service as well. Score! But then i realized after talking with the service desk that the first 2 services are basic OLF, fluid checks, and basic inspection. Which means the third one i pay for i assume has more involved?! I'll find out on my second free service... or i guess i can check the manual.

If i had to guess they offer the first 2 free in hopes you keep coming back to them. If they treat me right i'm fine with that during the warranty period... otherwise i have my own mechanic i would prefer to use after warranty is up.

They have offered a free loaner every time as well. Mazda6 did nothing for me the first time around and the CX-7 on my first service felt wrong sucking premium gas :p I don't see an issue with them providing me a loaner on my second free service but come the third service im sure ill fall back to regular customer status and be finding my own transportation home!

I called my dealer and the 7500 mile service is 60 dollars total. They use Mazda 0w20 synthetic and perform a rotation.
Not bad.

7500 mile service? My CX-5 diesel handbook says every 12000 miles even for the first one. Sounds like you're being ripped off big time.

Back