Transmission: Manual vs. Auto with Manual Mode

PurplMyst

:
2013 CX5 Sport Manual, Liquid Silver
For my last 2 cars I've had a manual transmission & I've sworn that I'm a stick-shifter for life. But now with the CX-5 I'm torn I still want all the control of a manual; but gosh-darnit I just don't want a gray, black, or silver vehicle. I'd take the silver if I had to, but I really want that funky sky blue.

I'm still waiting for our local inventory to perk up so I can finally test drive both versions, but what do y'all think of the manual transmission with the manual mode? I wouldn't expect the "manual mode" to really be like a manual, but has anyone found it to be "close enough" so they could get the other features on the other trims of the CX-5?

IMO, get the auto tranny, it's the better tranny for a SUV such as the CX-5. And it's easier to sell later too.

On the rare occassions when you really need the control of a manual, the manual mode works very well. The manual mode is unusually good and better than all in this class of SUV's. But 95% of the time I typically use the auto mode with good results.

I want a manual because I want to press the clutch pedal when I shift gears. Also, a manual is less expensive than automatic. If I get an automatic, I'm the kind of guy that would have to get the GT AWD with all the options and features and pay 30k+. So it works out for me getting a manual.

IMO, get the auto tranny, it's the better tranny for a SUV such as the CX-5. And it's easier to sell later too.

On the rare occassions when you really need the control of a manual, the manual mode works very well. The manual mode is unusually good and better than all in this class of SUV's. But 95% of the time I typically use the auto mode with good results.

I agree as well, the automatic is really nice. The sport mode up and down shifts smoothly and very well.
And with the auto tranny it automatically shifts down when going down a steap grade or under sudden braking.

I had a sport mode with my old P5, and it really shined in stop and go traffic or during winter driving. It's proven invaluable for me to have. Having the auto with the sport mode gives the best of both world for me.

You really have to test drive both, and if you are a stick lover then I'm betting you will pick the MT. The new shifting technology is actually a sweet feature of this model. Even if you get the color you love, in a year or two you will be over that color but you will still be smiling driving this fun little car :)

I got the black mica MT 5 days ago and it looks pretty dusty already. I love the funky blue also!!!! There were officially no other options for me as I drove home with the last one withing 300 miles. I am having so much fun driving it NO regrets!

As far as automatic manual mode cars go, this is a good one. I only drive in the manual mode. The only drawback is you dont get the clutch control in first to get the rpms up and get a good start. The car really doesn't start to pick up well until about 2k rpms in first and there's not much you can do about it. But once you do get rolling it is great. But, only you can be the judge if it will satisfy you.

I was in another CX-5 forum and an owner stated he thinks the Skyactiv-Drive transmission is "unsafe" for the car because his jumps several gears when downshifting and takes "2-3 seconds" to respond to driver input. He also said the shifts are choppy and he hates it. I suggested he take the car to his Mazda dealer for an inspection. Anyone else experience this, or feel this way?

in auto mode I've probably only felt 2 or 3 shifts in 1000 miles. The transmission is just so smooth. I haven't messed with the manual mode much as so far the transmission has always been in the gear I wanted, but couple of times I've tried the manual mode it is super smooth too.

why would someone buy a car that did what he says his is doing? People need to insist on longer test drives. Some of the places we looked at cars had little less than 5 minute loops for the test drives. The Mazda dealer let us drive all over the place. And we went on 2 test drives in it on different days along with another drive in a sport model.

I was in another CX-5 forum and an owner stated he thinks the Skyactiv-Drive transmission is "unsafe" for the car because his jumps several gears when downshifting and takes "2-3 seconds" to respond to driver input. He also said the shifts are choppy and he hates it. I suggested he take the car to his Mazda dealer for an inspection. Anyone else experience this, or feel this way?

Yes, we know about the complainer. btw - Mazda he is complaining about is not a CX-5.

Yes, we know about the complainer. btw - Mazda he is complaining about is not a CX-5.

According to the other forum, he owns a 2013 CX-5 GT w/ tech. This is what he said...

"I've had it downshift 3 or more gears when goosing the gas, and again it takes 2-3 seconds before the transmission engages again. There's nothing normal about it. I find this to be the choppiest automatic transmission I've ever driven (with automatic transmissions, I've owned 2 Accords, an Elanta, had a 2010 Mazda3 prior to the CX-5, and I spent over 100 days driving rental cars last year).

I get that this transmission is designed to aggressively downshift to maximize fuel economy, but in my opinion there are many situations (e.g. highway passing, CC doing uphill) where the clutch lag makes this car UNSAFE to drive.

The manual mode allows you to control what gear it's in, but the clutch seems to pop as soon as you shift up or down. There's no smooth "letting the clutch out" when you downshift, it immediately over-revs. The downshift in manual has the same effect, it's like slamming the clutch in, shifting, and immediately letting it out without allowing the engine to equalize.

The CX-5 is really an incredible vehicle, which is rendered unfun and unsafe by its Skyactive automatic transmission."

Who is the guy on here??

According to the other forum, he owns a 2013 CX-5 GT w/ tech. This is what he said...

"I've had it downshift 3 or more gears when goosing the gas, and again it takes 2-3 seconds before the transmission engages again. There's nothing normal about it. I find this to be the choppiest automatic transmission I've ever driven (with automatic transmissions, I've owned 2 Accords, an Elanta, had a 2010 Mazda3 prior to the CX-5, and I spent over 100 days driving rental cars last year).

I get that this transmission is designed to aggressively downshift to maximize fuel economy, but in my opinion there are many situations (e.g. highway passing, CC doing uphill) where the clutch lag makes this car UNSAFE to drive.

The manual mode allows you to control what gear it's in, but the clutch seems to pop as soon as you shift up or down. There's no smooth "letting the clutch out" when you downshift, it immediately over-revs. The downshift in manual has the same effect, it's like slamming the clutch in, shifting, and immediately letting it out without allowing the engine to equalize.

The CX-5 is really an incredible vehicle, which is rendered unfun and unsafe by its Skyactive automatic transmission."

Who is the guy on here??

Since it's a guessing game as to what forum you are referring to, it's obviously not the Mazda3 owner whining on Mazda Enthusiasts forum about his Skyactiv tranny.

btw - Given whatever jibberish he posted above, not sure he has a (automotive) clue, lol, seems troll-like. He needs driving lessons and some basic automotive schooling.

Last edited:
To the OP, I test drove both, settled on the Manual.
Reasons:
1. The shifttronic (or whatever you want to call it) in the auto was the wrong pattern. Dave Coleman at Mazda USA disagrees with me saying that its the proper rally setup to push forward to downshift and pull back to shift, but my time owning a mitsubishi with similar shifttronic programmed me to expect the opposite pattern.
2. The Manual gets better Hwy mileage, at least on paper, and thats where I do 75% of my daily commute.
3. Coming from a Toyota economy manual to the Mazda manual transmission, the Mazda's felt AMAZING. I'll even forgive the once-in-a-blue-moon notchiness shifting from 3-4 that has been reported on this forum.

BWM pattern is same as Mazda, forward to downshift, back to upshift.

My Lexus is the opposite, but it does not matter since never manually shift via floor shifter,the paddle shifters work best.

The manual mode on the auto box will never please everyone. A bit like video games where some prefer to invert the 'look' function so that forward=down. I always invert and I prefer the setup the way Mazda have it, but given it is an electronic switch it really should be user configurable then we could ALL be happy. Perhaps there is safety law against allowing such reconfiguration?

1. The shifttronic (or whatever you want to call it) in the auto was the wrong pattern. Dave Coleman at Mazda USA disagrees with me saying that its the proper rally setup to push forward to downshift and pull back to shift, but my time owning a mitsubishi with similar shifttronic programmed me to expect the opposite pattern.

Think about driving a car hard, the Mazda pattern is the most natural and intuitive.

When you are accelerating your body is being shifted back to the rear of the car the front of the car is higher than the rear, it is a natural motion of the body to pull downward (towards your body) to shift to the next gear.

When breaking your body is moving forward as the front of the car dives closer to the ground and the rear of the car sits up high. It is natural to push the shifter forward to continue downshifting as you slow down.

To go the other directions is unnatural of what the body naturally wants to do. My wifes kia sorento has the opposite pattern of the mazda and it feels terrible. Mazda got it right.

Think about driving a car hard, the Mazda pattern is the most natural and intuitive.

When you are accelerating your body is being shifted back to the rear of the car the front of the car is higher than the rear, it is a natural motion of the body to pull downward (towards your body) to shift to the next gear.

When breaking your body is moving forward as the front of the car dives closer to the ground and the rear of the car sits up high. It is natural to push the shifter forward to continue downshifting as you slow down.

To go the other directions is unnatural of what the body naturally wants to do. My wifes kia sorento has the opposite pattern of the mazda and it feels terrible. Mazda got it right.

Almost exactly what Dave Coleman said in response to the journalists who asked about the auto shift pattern. I don't disagree, I was just accustomed to the opposite pattern and it made me feel all the more like "screw it, I'll just get a real manual transmission" haha.

Who is the guy on here??

I'd hate to see that guy drive a real stick shift if he cant even drive an automatic.
I find the transmission to shift beautifully.

Last edited:
To the OP, I test drove both, settled on the Manual.
Reasons:
2. The Manual gets better Hwy mileage, at least on paper, and thats where I do 75% of my daily commute.
3. Coming from a Toyota economy manual to the Mazda manual transmission, the Mazda's felt AMAZING. I'll even forgive the once-in-a-blue-moon notchiness shifting from 3-4 that has been reported on this forum.

As previously mentioned, the CX-5 manual shift function is the proper layout. Having had the privilege of driving a sequential equipped race car, I can tell you that its 100% natural.

Back