Remote Entry Unit? (OEM Remote Trunk Release Possibility?)

owl

:
2012 Black Mazda 2
[Answered!] Remote Trunk Release with OEM Remote - HIDDEN feature

Update: I got my new (used) remote in from Ebay with matching FCC ID (BGBX1T478SKE12501). This was advertised as the Mazda 6 OEM remote with 4 buttons.

I programmed the new remote, per instructions found on several online forums (http://www.mazda2forums.com/index.php?topic=188289.0), and the remote trunk release worked immediately! This is for the 2012 Mazda 2 with the electronic trunk release button on the rear hatch.

WHY would someone want a remote trunk release?
- you want to open only the trunk and not unlock all of the doors
- you have kids, and it's just easier to do one less step of pushing the button on the hatch (though you still need to press the remote)

I originally thought I would need to reprogram the remote entry unit or do some rewiring. I guess Mazda cheaped out (even though the 4-button remote probably doesn't cost any more than the 3-button version) on us.

Enjoy!

photo.JPG

---

Hi -

Just purchased a Black 2012 Mazda 2!

I'd like to pick up a 2nd remote switchblade key and found that some of the 4-button Mazda key fobs have the same FCC ID.

I tried searching Google and the forums but could not find information about others who have tried this on the Mazda 2. Is it possible?

The trunk release seems to already have an actuator, so it seems it is just a matter of rewiring the remote entry unit (if it accepts the trunk button).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Any idea what model year of 6 the remote is from? If the trunk release really activates the hatch popper, I'm definitely gonna shop around for one.

Would the hatch lift itself even if it was popped remotely?

people do this on the VW's, i think you need to add a spring on the struct to make the hatch actually lift. Since the hatch is so light, it may not need to be much of one though

Would this also work on the 2011 Mazda2?

Secondly, if at some point the hatch button doesn't work, is there another way to open it?

Secondly, if at some point the hatch button doesn't work, is there another way to open it?

There's, and I believe it's described in the Owner's Manual. It's a bit PITA too (need to remove hatch liner, if I'm not mistaken).

Good find! I may have to get one of those. With a 2 yr old and 7 mo old daughters I frequently have my hands full, and this seems like it would make things a little easier.

One thing I've noticed on my wife's 5 that I haven't tried yet in mine, is if the car is running and I want to jump out and get something out of the trunk, it won't release. It was pouring down rain the other day and she was dropping me off in front of REI....I got soaked trying to get the hatch open!

Good find! I may have to get one of those. With a 2 yr old and 7 mo old daughters I frequently have my hands full, and this seems like it would make things a little easier.

One thing I've noticed on my wife's 5 that I haven't tried yet in mine, is if the car is running and I want to jump out and get something out of the trunk, it won't release. It was pouring down rain the other day and she was dropping me off in front of REI....I got soaked trying to get the hatch open!

In previous cars I have had I could not release the hatch/trunk if the car wasn't in Park. Give it a try on a nice day so you don't get wet :)

Its a 6MT. She has to turn off the motor to get the hatch to release...very annoying.

I don't know what year the Mazda6 remote is from. It's best to search Ebay with the FCC ID "BGBX1T478SKE12501" in your search description.

(Sorry for the slow reply - I subscribed to the thread but never got notification of responses!)

Any idea what model year of 6 the remote is from? If the trunk release really activates the hatch popper, I'm definitely gonna shop around for one.

Hatch only unlocks with the button - you will still need to lift the hatch manually.

(Sorry for the slow reply - I subscribed to the thread but never got notification of responses!)

Would the hatch lift itself even if it was popped remotely?

I can't verify on a 2011, but I understand not much changed from 11 to 12 models, so I would guess "yes".

Would this also work on the 2011 Mazda2?

So I went and bought one of these off of eBay, and can confirm that it works on the 2011 models too.

As best I can tell, the remote is from a 2nd gen Mazda 3 or 6, or 3rd gen Mitata. It's made by Mitsubishi Electric, just like the 3-button key that comes with our cars. The trick to making sure that the 4-button remote you buy is the correct one is to match up not only the FCC ID posted above, but also IC number 662F-SKE125-01, which appears on both remotes. Or, if you just want to skip the eBay hassle and order from a dealer, you want part number BBM4675RY.

Would like to revive this old thread -- Would the posters who have successfully done this please let me know where you can find the FCC ID? Additionally, where can the IC number (that DrWebster spoke of) be found?

It would be tremendously useful to have a 2nd remote, especially when it can pop the trunk as well.

Back