How the manual mode work?

katmar

:
16 CX-5 GT and 13 CX-5 Touring AWD
What happens when you have the transmission in manual mode, you're cruising along in 4th gear, and you come to a stop? Does it downshift into first for you once you stop? Or do you have to manually downshift it 3, 2, 1 while sitting there before accelerating again?

Also, what happens if you rev it too far in any gear? Will it automatically upshift (even though it's in manual mode) at the redline, or will it bounce off the rev limiter?

im pretty sure it will shift down/up for you so as not to accidentally mess up your engine.

it will downshift as you slow down so you dont stall. My mazda 3 did not shift to 2nd from 1st. U could hold it in 1st and bounce the redline (burnout). Not sure if the cx5 is the same, ive vowed not to treat this car like crap like i did my 3.

The car will shift down for you as you slow down if you don't do it. For up-shifting, you are responsible for those. The car will stay in the selected gear until the engine hits redline.

The car will shift down for you as you slow down if you don't do it. For up-shifting, you are responsible for those. The car will stay in the selected gear until the engine hits redline.

Thank you! That's how I was hoping it worked :)

I did play with it a bit during my test drives, but didn't want to push it too hard since it wasn't my car. I did like the rev-matched dowshifts (at least I think it did, it's so smooth it's hard to tell) and how crisp it shifted overall.

Yes, I tried it. These manual modes work more as "gear limiters", by limiting to highest gear selected.

on the mazda 5 at home the manual mode actually holds the gear, for example if Im in 3rd and slow down but dont stop and hit the gas again it wont downshift and just slowly accelerate and even lug if too slow, exactly as a manual does. it only downshifts from 4 to 3 (i have the 4 sp) if I do the same but only 4-3.

accelerating it will bounce the rev limiter in 1 and 2 until i shift, never tried to redline 3 yet...

CX-5 has a new and different transmission and control logic so this is probably different.

Back