2014 CX-5 2.5 Liter Option

Game Rogue

:
2007 CX-9
Hi guys, surfing the web I came across the below snippet of info on the possibility of a 2.5 liter Skyactve motor for the 2014 CX-5 and for the upcoming Mazda 6. Not sure of the validity of this report, but I hope its true. This reminds me of my disappointment after I bought my 2007 CX9 w/3.5L (love the CUV btw) and then the 2008 model was upped to a 3.7L. I was thinking about trading my Suzuki Grand Vitara for a CX5, but I’ll think I will wait until the 2014 model now.

----
Mazda lineup to add 2.5-liter Skyactiv engine

Mazda6 mid-sized sedan and will be available for the 2014 CX-5 crossover, according to a source briefed on Mazda's product plans.

The engine will be the second to come to the United States using Mazda's Skyactiv system, which includes fuel-saving drivetrain and lightweight chassis technologies.

Like the 2.0-liter Skyactiv powering the 2013 CX-5, the 2.5-liter will have high-compression and gasoline direct-injection technology, which helps boost fuel efficiency and power.

The 2.5-liter will be added as an option for the 2014 CX-5, and will power the redesigned 2014 Mazda6 when it hits showrooms early next year, according to the source.

A Mazda spokesman declined to comment.

Autonews.com: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120514/OEM01/305149977/1424

IMO, sounds like it's possible for CX-5 future. Fuel economy would be lower than 2.0L, but as an optional/extra cost engine why not.

For comparison, Ford's Escape 1.6L turbo will be the volume engine with highest mpg of the Escape lineup. Ford will offer the optional 2.0L turbo for those needing something over 200hp with lower gas mileage.

Have the engines for new Mazda6 been confirmed yet?

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 2.5L . If anything, the 2.2 Diesel will get here in the CX-5 before the 2.5L IMO.

Yes, I won't be holding my breath for either engine (2.5L or 2.2 diesel) in US market, could lead to a purple face.

I find the 2.0 more than adequate coming from a 2.5L mazda3. Even if it were offered at the time of my purchase I would have kept the 2.0. Better fuel economy and lower insurance costs outweigh 20-30hp gains.

I kind of agree, I do not really see the point of a 2.5, for me it defeats the purpose of having a car like this. If they want to bring another engine here, BRING THE 2.2 DIESEL!!!!!!!

I would be much more likely to buy one if it had a 2.5L. The mileage hit would probably be marginal due to the duty cycle the cx-5 puts on the engine.

I hope the report is true. Even an option of the 2.3 would be an improvement assuming it had the "SkyActiv" enhancements. The general public will not put up with the pedestrian acceleration when the CX5 is loaded with four adults, in my opinion.

...outweigh 20-30hp gains.

I am not engine savvy, but really a 2.5L option would only be expected to deliver a 20-30hp increase? That means the CX-5 would still be under 200hp; for me the 200+ hp is a selling point on this one, even if there is a nominal hit to mpg.

I want a new Mazda, I am so torn with the CX-5, the upcoming Mazda 6 and RX9 possibilities to think about what to do, what to do?

I've heard more about the 6 being equipped with the 2.0. It would make sense to offer (in the 6) the 2.5 and diesel and forget about the V6 since it doesn't sell particularly well. The 2.0 may be a little even when it comes to power. For the CX-5, I think it would be better to bring the diesel as people wanting more power may go with the cheaper alternative and opt for the 2.5 instead of the diesel (if all three engines were offered). People are not looking for a 1/4 mile CUV, just something with decent umphh.

I'll confess I'm really liking the CX-5. However, it will only work for me if it is the diesel. When you have 4 people in a vehicle you need torque, not HP.

The Diesel 2.2 would have 310lb-ft of torque. (boom01)

Last edited:
I am not engine savvy, but really a 2.5L option would only be expected to deliver a 20-30hp increase? That means the CX-5 would still be under 200hp; for me the 200+ hp is a selling point on this one, even if there is a nominal hit to mpg.

I want a new Mazda, I am so torn with the CX-5, the upcoming Mazda 6 and RX9 possibilities to think about what to do, what to do?

Comparing the mazda3 the 2.0 gets 148hp and 135lb-ft. Where as the 2.5 gets 167hp and 168lb-ft. Thats 19hp and 33lb-ft gains from the 2.0 to the 2.5. I expect the 2.5 skyactiv to follow similar gains. (180ish hp and 190ish lb-ft)

...you need torque, not HP.

The Diesel 2.2 would have 310lb-ft of torque. (boom01)

My ignorance is likely showing here, but HP sounds more sexy (for sales pitch) and useful to me for small SUV types like the CX5. That, and wouldn’t any Skyactiv 2.5L need to have its “torque” increased anyways? Maybe not to “310lb-ft” in your diesel example, but likely somewhere near that for regular gas type – right?

Comparing the mazda3 the 2.0 gets 148hp and 135lb-ft. Where as the 2.5 gets 167hp and 168lb-ft. Thats 19hp and 33lb-ft gains from the 2.0 to the 2.5. I expect the 2.5 skyactiv to follow similar gains. (180ish hp and 190ish lb-ft)

IMO, that just sounds so little and not worth the effort. I gotta believe if Mazda does have a 2.5l Skyactiv in their back pocket for the 2014 model year, the motor will have a much more dramatic HP (and torque :) ) increase to make it worthwhile.

My ignorance is likely showing here, but HP sounds more sexy (for sales pitch) and useful to me for small SUV types like the CX5. That, and wouldn’t any Skyactiv 2.5L need to have its “torque” increased anyways? Maybe not to “310lb-ft” in your diesel example, but likely somewhere near that for regular gas type – right?

You'll never see it without a turbo or twin turbo for that matter. You must be in marketing. Yes it's more sexy, but it is dumb. Once people realize how a diesel feels (I'm talking current technologies, not old smoggy rattle boxes and dump trucks) they will begin to realize. There's too many people that just don't have the knowledge in the US IMO and when they hear diesel they think of that big dump truck they saw on the way home belching black smoke into the air.

I think Mazda may be realizing the benefit of the small diesel as well. They don't have a hybrid right? I think hybrids are a waste of time. Give me a small diesel any day that will get better mileage.

in perspective the 3.5L v6 in the 2007 cx9:

Torque: 249 ft-lbs. @ 4500 rpm

Last edited:
Give me a small diesel any day that will get better mileage.

Sure, but not every gas station sells diesel fuel, do they?

I fear I'd always be worrying about where I could and couldn't refill. But I've never owned or even thought about a diesel before, so I have no idea what it's like.

Sure, but not every gas station sells diesel fuel, do they?

I fear I'd always be worrying about where I could and couldn't refill. But I've never owned or even thought about a diesel before, so I have no idea what it's like.

I'm not sure. I live in Indiana and there's Diesel at all the gas stations that I've seen. I wouldn't worry about it and wouldn't make it a factor.

Back