Aerocatch hood pins for Carbon Fiber hoods

Hey Joka, it's funny you had planned on doing this to the RC hood and now I'm going to be doing it. All I could think was "if only he had done it before I bought it, then I know it would've been done right". I know it's not that hard but why not be lazy when I can! :)

SCMP3 is doing this on his RC hood. I know he's received the latches, not sure when he's installing though

Good write up JT and thanks for the tag! One tip that an old guy told me was to not drill the holes for the screws but to use a Dremel with an abrasive bit and grind the holes in. Also be make sure to smooth all the edges especially on the carbon because any small chips or cracks can become large ones after the hood is vibrated during operation.

Hey guys I'm currently doing this right now and I've been reading this thread over and over. I can't seem to get the flush mount plate to screw into place since I only have the little quarter size hole on the bottom. Any tips or advice on how you did it would be great.

Last edited:
When you say quarter size hole on the bottom, do you mean the underside of the hood? The hole you cut to slide the flush plate in? You may need to make the holes larger to have some working room.

I have the home on the underside of the hood only big enough for the pin to go through. The top side of the hood is already shaped to the hoodlatch. I'm having a really hard time getting the flush plate to "screw on" since it sandwiches the hatches inside the hood. But I see everyone else's pictures and they have a pretty small hole under the hood.

I have the home on the underside of the hood only big enough for the pin to go through. The top side of the hood is already shaped to the hoodlatch. I'm having a really hard time getting the flush plate to "screw on" since it sandwiches the hatches inside the hood. But I see everyone else's pictures and they have a pretty small hole under the hood.

are you using the 2 guide pins that came with the flush plates to help align the holes? do you have any pictures of what yours currently looks like?

Well it was the plates that aero catch themselves debt me not password jdm so I don't have act aligning screws. And mazdas 247 is giving me hell trying to login on my computer but doesn't let me. I'm post pics if I can asap.

Here's the pictures

Attachments

• IMAG0367.jpg
    IMAG0367.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMAG0368.jpg
    IMAG0368.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0369.jpg
    IMAG0369.jpg
    678.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMAG0370.jpg
    IMAG0370.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 122
I said I would post some pics so here are some..... Car was in the garage so they are not the best but you get the point ;).....But first some minor tips!!

1. Each C/F hood bottom is diffrent so placement of the pins on 1 car may not work the same with your hood (i.e. my driver side latch would not fit in the hood where I put it but the passenger worked great)

2. I cut 1 side then laid out a grid to ensure the other side was exact. After I was good with that I cut templates and lined up where the latches were to the headlights. Pretty much........measure 300 times, cut once ;).

My Pass side:
jbaXJ3Roq0oHEy.JPG

Drivers side: cut more so the latch will fit :(
jbl1MVC0hixm2V.JPG

Pins: I used some big washers to make it blend better....... Both sides are the same!!
jwvXbiFg0tkRi.JPG

jbKFYXgRpc0VN.JPG

My few install pics are above............ I have a gemeni reverse cowl C/F hood I am going to install soon so the drivers side will only have a quarter size hole in the bottom as well ;)

Rob

Like his one small hole on passenger side.

He probably got his finger or a tool in that hole to hold the plate flush to the hood while threading the first screw. I'm sure once you've gotten one screw started, you can do the rest from above. if you can't get a finger or tool in the smaller hole to hold the flush plate, you may have to widen the hole underneath so you have more work room.

Here's the pictures

what i would do honestly is go find a longer bolt that threads into one of those holes properly, then cut the head of the bolt. Slide the backing plate into the holes with said bolt installed then slide the latch in over the bolt and hold it till you can thread in a few more.
IMG-20110506-00039.jpg

CIMG1431-1.jpg

thanks for the tips bit I eventually got frustrated yesterday and made the whole on the bottom a little bigger. but it still looks just as good and I like the way it came out on top side of the hood. definitely loving the quality of aerocatch!!

Back