Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Battle-Stance build thread PART 1: Protection, coilovers, bars and wheels!

2 GX 2011

Arrow My Battle-Stance build thread PART 1: Protection, coilovers, bars and wheels!

Hi!

My name is Yannick and i'm the proud owner of a very base model Mazda 2 GX 2011. I bought that car to replace my somewhat modded 2008 NC1 with something more practical and most of all less expensive. With the Miata I was running a beater and now i'm 33 so unpractical summer toys are, well not a Defcon 1 priority when building a business and most of all a family.

Some of you old enough here may remind me as Greensleeper 'for the green LX' that was quite a build (for the time). Now my friend LMT bought that car from me (completely stock except for the brake swap) and built my trusted solid old BJ with even more hardcore parts with agressive street/track in mind.

I must say that even if I miss the rock-solid feeling of my 2 others BJ and the nimbleness, perfect weight distribution and RWD fun of my NC1, my DE is more than expected, even as base model: It is still a Mazda with the great steering, solid chassis, solid brakes and suprisingly nimble feeling. And wow the shape of that car, I love it! Didn't feel cheap at all, despite the lack of a damn door remote and cruise control. Of course it have some issues like the terrible throttle response, that even the CS SRI can't fully compensate for and a lack of equipment in my trim and some other nicks and picks, but I never tought I love it that much!

So enough blabla and here's the fast facts: Last year I focused exclusively at protection: A full TechTeinte protection film kit, OEM mudguards set, Weathertech floor mats set, TechTeinte UV-resistant window tint and full quality rustproofing. Finally I added the OEM shorty antenna to eliminate that RC car look and pick the optional stainless exhaust tip for somewhat try to hide the ugly OEM muffler. This year I did a bit more: Corksport short ram intake, Corksport front strut-bar, Corksport 19mm rear torsion bar, Ksport Kontrol Pro coilovers and TRMotorsports C1M 15X7 +30 black Spec-Miata wheels. Not shown on those pics are the Volk Duralumin lug nuts in black.

So far the Ksport coilovers are more than a surprise. I know those have a bad rep from their early year, but I heard that they have improved since the last year, now sporting better components and most of all better shock valving, along with ISO and TUV approbations. So far I can tell that the exterior quality is on-par with the most expensive coilovers here and the damping is well matched, although not as refined as my previous KW V3's on my NC1, but those cost me twice as much and did'nt came with pillow-balls... Note that the front can go a good inch lower without affecting travel but comprising lower arm geometry. I'm almost parallel with the ground at that height. Rear I removed the locking collar to gain a little of drop. This is as low as they go at the rear. No bumpstop riding so far and I tested them on our harsh Québec road hard enough. This is a perfect blen of track-capable spring rates with enough softness for daily commuting. 5/3 seems to be the perfect ratio for a dual setup like mine. The only complaint I have is no front camber adjustability from the pillow-ball top-plates. I'm currently talking with AAC for custom camber-plates Please contact nk2a to share your interest! Font Motorsport gave me an outstanding service on those, along with an excellent price and great transaction!

The Corksport stuff all work as advertised, as always. The short ram sharpen the throttle response and emit quite a bark, the front strut-bar is effective although hard to install (for a strut-bar) and the rear torsion bar is dead simple to install and most of all liven up off-throttle rotation. A JDM Demio badge finish off the Corksport orders.

The TRMotorsports C1M wheels are the Spec-Miata wheels for all 90-05 NA/NB's. They are relatively light, solid, available and must of all dirt cheap through Tire Rack. The 15X7 +30 WILL RUB IN FRONT AT MY SLAMMED HEIGHT ON OEM SIZE-TIRES. It strongly recommend the aformentioned custom AAC camber-plates or at least SPC cam-bolts. I will buy camber-plates to run 205/50 DOT R-Comp next year. Fitment is flush in front and a about 5-8mm is available at the rear through my untouched fenders.

All my protection stuff is working great: After one winter, no rust, virtually no paint chips and no salty floor mat.

Thanks to the love of my life Nath, my long-time friend Louis, my too intense little 'brother' Chris for all the help, understanding and support since last year. Special props to this forum for supporting Mazdas! Please cry here.

Enough blabla and those are the pics (sorry for the lack of definition of my wheels, i'm no pro photograph):

All comments are welcomed!
    Last edited by Greensleeper; 04-30-2012 at 10:25 PM.

Registered Member

so hold on u sold ur GREEN mz2 and bought urself a white one? nice u made a good choice ... ur build is looking quite awesome some what jealous of it. its good u spend the money on rust proofing ur car i did the same thing with my wifes cx-7 seeing how the snow and salt damage the car in mtl. i will be looking forward seeing u whn i get back to mtl this sept. more power to ur build.

2012-2

dude this thing looks BA. is that plasti dip on the handles?

2 GX 2011

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse12 View Post
    so hold on u sold ur GREEN mz2 and bought urself a white one? nice u made a good choice ... ur build is looking quite awesome some what jealous of it. its good u spend the money on rust proofing ur car i did the same thing with my wifes cx-7 seeing how the snow and salt damage the car in mtl. i will be looking forward seeing u whn i get back to mtl this sept. more power to ur build.
    Thanx for the kind words. My green car was a Protegé LX.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

cruisin somewhere between Copperas Cove and Harker Heights, TX
    love the stickers

RIP 1549

2 GX 2011

Quote Originally Posted by 716-mazda2 View Post
    dude this thing looks BA. is that plasti dip on the handles?
    Thanks!!!! No lol, this is very stock.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2 GX 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Spiced MSP View Post
    love the stickers
    Ahahaha, thanks!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greensleeper View Post
    Thanx for the kind words. My green car was a Protegé LX.
    i think i got u confused with some1 else from mtl with a green mz2. regardless it build is awesome. jus saving up money to get the parts from font too and will be posting pics soon i hope.

2006 mazdaspeed 6

Donde turbo?

Authorized Vendor

2012 Mazda 2

Dude! DUDE! Great job! Hella funny stickers. All in all very tastefully done. I'm also very happy that you liked the Ksports. I love them myself but you never know what a customer might think. So I'm glad that they worked out for you and I appreciate the love. The car definitely looks like a true hot hatch now. What's next?!!

You can find those Ksports over here.
    FONT MOTORSPORTS

Thanks,
    --
    Font Motorsports
    Rodrigo

Follow Us On -

Instagram
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Tumblr

2009 Mazda5 Sport

Very very nice! Any links to where you got the stickers?

2 GX 2011

Quote Originally Posted by phunky.buddha View Post
    Very very nice! Any links to where you got the stickers?
    I got the daily driven. through StanceNation, along with the license plate frame. The rest is through eBay.

Thanks for the kind words.

2011 Mazda 2 Sport

ihatestickers.com also has a TON of funny stickers! Love your 2
    ::/:: 2011 Mazda2 Sport ::/::

Factory Mazda Bluetooth
    Factory Mazda fog lights
    Factory Mazda mud flaps
    Factory Mazda arm rest
    Silverstar ZXE headlights
    Silverstar ZXE fog lights
    CorkSport rear torsion bar
    35% tint all the way around
    195/50/15 Dunlop Direzza Star Specs
    15" Kosei K1
    195/50/15 Dunlop Direzza DZ101
    15" Sparco Assetto Gara
    K&N drop-in panel filter

::/:: 2011 Mazda 3-i Touring ::/::

Silverstar ZXE headlights
    Factory Mazda auto-dimming/compass rearview mirror

'12 Mazda 2 Touring 5MT/'87 325IS 2DR 5MT

Oh wow those C1Ms look awesome. Did you already have the car slammed when you got them or did you have the chance to try them at a higher ride height?

2 GX 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Max Archer View Post
    Oh wow those C1Ms look awesome. Did you already have the car slammed when you got them or did you have the chance to try them at a higher ride height?
    I actually received the coilovers and wheels the same day, at the same time! Was quite funny to see the FeDex and UPS truck in my parking! The delivery mans did'nt spoke to each other lol!

I adjusted ride height and put the wheels on... Man it rubbed like crazy due to wwwwway out-of-spec toe out. Now with toe in spec, it only rub when I either take a really big bump or turn the wheels at maximum radius. Camber plates are really going to help me.

Note that a higher height, it will fit just fine. They are members here that are running 15X7 +25 with 205/50's with no problem at a H&R Sport ride height.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast