Smart card programming

romanda

:
2008 Mazda CX-9 GT AWD
I purchased 2 new keyless 4button smart cards w/ uncut emergency keys because my other two original smart cards are getting worn a bit and sometimes don't always work. I have tried the programming instructions from the seller, and I am not getting anywhere. Do you have any suggestions? I made sure both my old keys were working when I tried the programming instructions. Please help

Ceric,
When I use the PDF for the keyless smartcard, i place my 2 original cards on the dash along with the new keyless smartcard. When i shut all the doors and insert an emergency key in the ignition and turn the ignition to the on position, the doors do not lock and unlock automatically. What must I be doing wrong? To clarify, this is for a 2008 CX-9 AWD W keyless smartcard

Last edited:
Shouldn't you do it one by one? I mean not putting both inside the cabin together simultaneously....
I have to read the instructions again. The ECU might be confused when you have both working keycards present.

The progamming sequence I believe is a bit different for the KEYLESS smartcard. It tells you to bring in the 3 smartcards into the vehicle. At one point it asks you to push the unlock button on one of the existing cards, then follow pressing the unlock on the second existing card, turn the switch to ACC then to ON, etc etc. all in 30 seconds

I believe my problem is that the car is not recognizing one of my smartcards. One existing card will not unlock the car from the outside when pressing the button on the handle, nor will the ignition turn. It only recognizes this smartcard when I press the unlock (or the lock button). Doing this will unlock (or lock) the car, and then I have to press the unlock again so the ignition will turn. The other smartcard works most of the time.

If you know differently, please let me know. I got this sequence off the thread you noted, under a section labeled as additional pdf for advanced keyless system.

Where did you purchase the "new" kaycards from?
Are you 100% positive that they are compatible with your model years?
Maybe one of the two is not...

Ceric,

Went to the dealer, and he was able to program both new smartcards (although one did have a low battery which needed to be replaced). When talking with the technician, he said there wasn't a sequence for the 2008 CX-9 keyless smartcard that an owner could do to program a new keyless smartcard. The programming had to come from the service laptop software. Well, not really fully believing him and now armed with two working smartcards, I tried to initiate the program sequence. It would not initiate. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
By the way...
Have you had any experience changing out the black rubber unlock button on the outside door handle? My driver's side entry button is torn and needs to be replaced.

Last edited:
romanda, that technician was blowing smoke out his ears. I have programmed 2 separate smartcards myself that I bought on eBay. The only time the programming has to be done @ the dealer is if you only have 1 working card, or like in your case, for some reason it just won't work.

To replace the black button, you have to replace the handle. To replace the handle, you have to take the interior trim panel off the door. Fortunately (although ultimately unfortunately) there is no vapor barrier, at least that is what folks on here have said so access should be easy. When I took apart my Passat, I remember the vapor barrier being a little difficult not to tear. Apparently CX-9 has none. (crazy)

Thanks. And I purchased the brand new 4 button keyless smartcards from remotes.inc off of e-bay for $129 each with uncut keys. Be sure to ask them to include the nylon tether key ring and include the make/model of your car in the comments section during purchasing. RH

romanda, Can you tell if the uncut emergency key is mazda OEM or a knock-off? I bought one awhile back that was mazda OEM keycard but the emergency key was obviously a knock off. i could not get the keycard to work so I got a refund. Haven't been able to find one with a OEM emergency key.

Back