Has anyone got this problem with i-stop?

Larry0103

:
Mazda CX-5
Hi all! just got my new zeal red cx-5 last monday, absolutely love it!
Here is just one thing i'm not really sure about my istop function, when I picked up my car last monday, master warning light was on and istop was flashing yellow, dealer explained as the battery was not fully charged at that time. I drove around 30kms on monday night and the master warning light turned off and istop light became constantly green. but on Wednesday afternoon, when I started my car, the master warning was back on again and istop was flashing yellow. Has anyone came across this situation before? Is this normal? Thanks

Sort, can't help with your problem. Just wanted to say congrats on your new car. You're the only other person I've seen with a zeal red cx-5.

Sounds like a call to your dealer to set it right.

Thanks, the warning lights were off this afternoon, however, the green istop light was not on neither... by the way, I've seen a white GT version on street today, it's my first time see a CX-5 driving on the road rather than myself XD

Someone said in another post that it takes a while for the computer to intake enough driving data to determine when to apply the i-stop. I'm not sure if that is every time you drive or overall.

I have not seen any other CX-5s on the road yet even though they've been selling like hotcakes.

Hi Larry,

Was looking into all the details of i-stop today. A complex technology it seems. I'm almost going to have to remember the list of complexities that make it decide to work or avoid working. Nevetheless, it was a blessing in stop-start traffic.

Just got delivery of my black GT yesterday, and ended up doing Sydney to Port Kembla (and a lot of Sydney traffic) to figure it all out.
The key is to make sure you press the i-stop button and have no amber light on your dash. One the engine is warm, and you end up going it takes a while (engine warm) for it

The complete list is in the manual, but for the benefit of US readers, I'll post it (it's not included in US vehicles yet).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennstewart/6885719058/in/set-72157629532767321
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennstewart/7031816467/in/set-72157629532767321

My first mistake that caused i-stop not to work, was not closing the tailgate. i-stop doesn't work if you have a door open.
There are many other reasons on the list, but in normal driving (particularly in urban stop-start), it works tremendously well.

Hi Larry,

Was looking into all the details of i-stop today. A complex technology it seems. I'm almost going to have to remember the list of complexities that make it decide to work or avoid working. Nevetheless, it was a blessing in stop-start traffic.

Just got delivery of my black GT yesterday, and ended up doing Sydney to Port Kembla (and a lot of Sydney traffic) to figure it all out.
The key is to make sure you press the i-stop button and have no amber light on your dash. One the engine is warm, and you end up going it takes a while (engine warm) for it

The complete list is in the manual, but for the benefit of US readers, I'll post it (it's not included in US vehicles yet).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennstewart/6885719058/in/set-72157629532767321
http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennstewart/7031816467/in/set-72157629532767321

My first mistake that caused i-stop not to work, was not closing the tailgate. i-stop doesn't work if you have a door open.
There are many other reasons on the list, but in normal driving (particularly in urban stop-start), it works tremendously well.

Hi Glenn, thanks for the information, I did read that "istop" part in the manual, actually there was one day istop worked well, stopped every time I pressed my brake completely, however the flashing yellow warning light back on and istop stopped afterwards. Has your dealer told you you have to drive around to get your battery charged up in order to get istop functional? cause on the day I picked up my car, master warning light and istop warning light were on, and dealer explained as battery needs to be charged up, i'm not sure if that's the case.

Hi Larry, been driving my CX5 now for over 3 weeks. Still getting used to the style of driving to minimise fuel consumption and maximise performance. Overall getting 8.4l/100Km, so am rapt. Can't say the same for I stop which seem to come and go as it pleases. Works well when its on. Dealership thinks it may be a flaky battery, after a quick check in service department. Will post when I get more info.

Hi Larry, been driving my CX5 now for over 3 weeks. Still getting used to the style of driving to minimise fuel consumption and maximise performance. Overall getting 8.4l/100Km, so am rapt. Can't say the same for I stop which seem to come and go as it pleases. Works well when its on. Dealership thinks it may be a flaky battery, after a quick check in service department. Will post when I get more info.

Hoping you get it sorted. Really liking i-stop, particularly in traffic. I am changing my driving to suit though. I find that I am slightly lifting my foot off the brake if I think the light is about to go green. I find that I don't press brake hard if I don't require i-stop (it only kicks in if the conditions are right and the brake is pushed in a very deliberate and firm manner - like being stationary at a light).

Hi, thanks for your reply, my Istop worked ok last weekend when I drove to Ballarat, but just gone again after I back to Melb. I've spoke with the dealer and booked a inspection next week, hope things can be fixed. I had looked up on a forum the other day, people saying the issue comes from the battery, the link is here you can have a look: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1859508

Larry,

Trying to memorise the list of i-Stop conditions myself. The computer must really have to weigh up everything. The programmer put as many checks into i-Stop as I would into my own code.

For example, if you don't close all the doors properly then start the engine, the computer disables i-Stop for that whole trip. The only way to make it work is to stop the car, stop the engine, close the doors and start again.

But if you do all those thing, use enough brake pressure - then i-Stop should work all the time.

In Sydney traffic, i-Stop works for me nearly all the time. It also seems to know the exact time I feel like pouncing off the line because it measures such things as pressure on the steering wheel and brake.

It's a very clever (and possibly expensive) system.

Larry,

Trying to memorise the list of i-Stop conditions myself. The computer must really have to weigh up everything. The programmer put as many checks into i-Stop as I would into my own code.

For example, if you don't close all the doors properly then start the engine, the computer disables i-Stop for that whole trip. The only way to make it work is to stop the car, stop the engine, close the doors and start again.

But if you do all those thing, use enough brake pressure - then i-Stop should work all the time.

In Sydney traffic, i-Stop works for me nearly all the time. It also seems to know the exact time I feel like pouncing off the line because it measures such things as pressure on the steering wheel and brake.

It's a very clever (and possibly expensive) system.

Hi, thank you for your information and here is an update of my car. I sent my car to the dealer this morning to get istop fixed, they called me in the afternoon says there is a problem with the battery taht they couldn't fix and they have ordered a new battery for me, I'm quite upset now didn't expect this to happen on a brand new car, I'm putting my hope on this coming new battery, and wishing not to get disappointment again.

I'm quite upset now didn't expect this to happen on a brand new car, I'm putting my hope on this coming new battery, and wishing not to get disappointment again.

I think you'll find the engineers might not yet be fully informed on how i-stop does and doesn't work.
When you get it back, start from a very basic position and do tests. I think the complexitiy of it requires an Excel spreadsheet detailing conditions just to get it to work.

My wife has been often commenting on the time i-stop refuses to work.
Ironically for it to work perfectly, when conditions are correct it should refuse to work.

The latest one I learned for example is setting either climate controls to a max or min temperature (e.g. 18C). Set it to 18.5, and it's fine.

Then there is the long list I am memorising: If the fan is max, i-stop is disabled. If the windscreen is receiving air-con, i-stop is disabled. If you're on a hill, i-stop is disabled. If the brake isn't engaged fully, i-stop is disabled.

I'm slowly learning them all, and there is no clear indicator for what condition is being met at the time i-stop is disabled.

Painful. But remembering the list, I am slowly starting to be in control of when it does and doesn't activate.

Hi I'm new to the forum, i've had my CX-5 for 2 weeks and covered just over 1000 miles. My istop 'flashing' warning light has come on twice, once during the first week and tonight. Switching the engine off resets the flashing amber warning. I have noticed that the istop function does not work until I switch istop off and then on again. When the warning light came on tonight on my drive home, I noticed istop came on (green) then went amber then green, all this happened in a split second, then istop flashed until I switched the car off and then back on. It is worth knowing that I had travelled approximately 50 miles (motorway) on both occasions and that the air con etc is off, so there is nothing draining the battery.
Once reset everything works fine again.
I'll take my car to Mazda and have it checked out but expect car will be too new for engineers to do much, unless it logs the error within the diagnostics.

Hey buddy I live near you (Cheshire)!
Anyway, I too have found that istop has a mind of its own and in my case has only activated 3 or 4 times in the couple of weeks I have had the car. No warning lights that I have noticed, just gonna let the accumulated knowledge build a little and see how it goes. Interesting point above about brake pedal pressure, I will have to try a firmer press when I stop at lights etc.

Ooh stormy blue, see my thread in suspension about car pulling right, let me know if yours is ok, although mine is auto. Would also appreciate you checking your rear view camera reversing guidelines to advise if they are straight when wheels straight ahead?
Sorry off topic (whistle)

Last edited:
well 1000kms old and i have a battery light followed by a flashing amber istop light.... yay

Mazda cx-5 Battery Problems

I just got my cx-5 last Tuesday ( 1 week ago today) and have had a few problems already. First day we took it out for a drive the tire pressure light came on on the highway, so we stopped and waited a bit and checked the pressure and 1 of them had 0.3 more then the specs, I fixed it and moved on. The second day we took another drive and the Start-stop didn't work.I assumed it has a battery problem seeing how the battery must keep the systems going so i just kept driving. 3rd day we didn't drive it. 4th day the car would not start...the battery had died... so we call Mazda road assist and a person shows up in 20 minutes with a portable battery and connects it, and the car starts and works without any problems.We drove about 400 km that night.... 5th day no problems, 6th day the car was saying " battery system inspection required" so we decided to take it in today for a check.... this morning the car would not start ...again... i called Mazda and they sent another guy with another portable battery and the car started up fine... i took it to the garage and have to wait till Thursday for the result.. sorry for the long post but I'm pretty upset about all this. I wanted to mention that i took care to make sure all the systems were off, all the doors closed all the lil lights were off and so on...its was kept in a garage box locked.... i don't understand why the battery keeps dieing.

Anyone else had similar problems ?

Last edited:
It seem that problem has been fixed.... it was 1/1000 chance of a bad battery witch shorted out. The battery has been removed and the car seems to be working fine.Only drove about 10 km today but the i-start works ok.

Hi pauly69,
I've had no problems with car pulling right. It may sound basic but have you checked your tyre pressures, mine were all different when i checked after the first week after collecting from the dealer! The reversing camera appears to be accurate any problems I believe to be due to myself just getting used to it. I'll check the direction of my wheels next time I reverse.
Going back to the istop problem, my car has cut out one more time since. And after a motorway trip last week, after I came off the slip road onto a roundabout with traffic lights, the engine suddenly went racing of it's own accord, it sounded as if it was not firing on all cylinders, it made no difference when I depressed the clutch. I just had to wait a for the engine to settle ( held up traffic) and once it went back to normal I was ok without further incident.
Today while driving engine warning light (Engine inspection required )has come on perminanently and is booked in with RRG forMonday. Something's not right, which is disappointing because I am pleased with car except for these minor issues.

Back