CX-5 owner's manual

Better options seem to be the Mobil 1 (model M1-108) or Wix (model 57040). Another option is the OEM filter, which my local dealer sells for $6.30 each or a 5-pack with a wrench for $33.65: http://www.mazdaparts.org/gemacxma.html
That is not the correct Wix filter model for any of the Skyactiv engines. It will fit but the bypass valve is rated at too low of a pressure differential. Skyactiv engines call for a high flow filter. Correct Wix number is #72002 which was recently made available specifically for Skyactiv engines (which have different lubrication systems than previous Mazda engines).

If looking under the passenger side of the vehicle there is a triangular panel with two 8mm bolts(or Philips head) and one plastic clip. [snip photos] I dont have a hex bolt that big so I am not sure of the size, but it is a fairly simple oil change. [snip]
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the drain plug looks like an 8mm (or perhaps 10mm) Allen.

I don't buy a car unless they throw in the "service manual", not the owner's manual. The owners manual is worthless imo.
I feel the same way but not all manufacturers make service manual books available any more. They're too costly to print and very expensive to keep current. Not sure about Mazda but the last VW Factory Service manual for the Golf was for >2009, the previous generation to ours.

Last edited:
The drain plug is an 8mm, the bolts that hold the cover on are 8mm. My Dealer wants $35 for a dino oil change and $65 for a synthetic oil change. So as easy as this car is turning out to be to work on I did the oil change myself. 0W20 Castrol oil synthetic and a Bosch filter, the filter is a bit pricey so I'll probably go with something cheaper next change. It went a little over 5k miles and I'll probably change it sooner next time, the car is just starting to get loosened up.

My dealer says they use a synthetic but, I see it comes from a bulk tank marked Castrol GTX and the 0w20 is a blend. So when they say synthetic you need to ask if 100% or a blend. Ed

The drain plug is an 8mm, the bolts that hold the cover on are 8mm. My Dealer wants $35 for a dino oil change and $65 for a synthetic oil change. So as easy as this car is turning out to be to work on I did the oil change myself. 0W20 Castrol oil synthetic and a Bosch filter, the filter is a bit pricey so I'll probably go with something cheaper next change. It went a little over 5k miles and I'll probably change it sooner next time, the car is just starting to get loosened up.
As far as I can find, all 0W-20 oils are at least partially synthetic. There should be no option for a dino oil change on these engines in the US. I'd reconsider your dealer if he's suggesting something that is counter to Mazda's specs.

As far as I can find, all 0W-20 oils are at least partially synthetic. There should be no option for a dino oil change on these engines in the US. I'd reconsider your dealer if he's suggesting something that is counter to Mazda's specs.

Other cars recommend initial break-in with non-synthetic oil so engine parts can seat and loosen up. I would bet the initial oil in the CX-5 isn't synthetic. If engine is not allowed to seat and loosen up then it remains tight and MPGs do not improve because engine never breaks-in. Technology changes, and not sure about the CX-5. Its amazing how little wear occurs in engines with synthetic oil.

Other cars recommend initial break-in with non-synthetic oil so engine parts can seat and loosen up. I would bet the initial oil in the CX-5 isn't synthetic. If engine is not allowed to seat and loosen up then it remains tight and MPGs do not improve because engine never breaks-in. Technology changes, and not sure about the CX-5. Its amazing how little wear occurs in engines with synthetic oil.

This has been investigated. Mazda uses the Idemitsu GF-5 oil for factory fill at production. So in this case, it is the same oil as the Mazda 0W20 with Moly they recommend (that's the rebranded version of Idemitsu.) No dino oil is used for the Skyactiv engine. The Castrol blend that is allowed now is a recent change (last year)

If looking under the passenger side of the vehicle there is a triangular panel with two 8mm bolts(or Philips head) and one plastic clip.
DSCN1273.jpg

Take the two bolts out and the clip off.
DSCN1267.jpg

DSCN1268.jpg

Then you have access to the oil filter and drain plug(Hex bolt).
DSCN1271.jpg

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1269.jpg

I dont have a hex bolt that big so I am not sure of the size, but it is a fairly simple oil change.

Sorry the car is dirty.

When I changed CX-5 oil myself for the first time, and above pictures were very helpful. Didn't use a ramp, just crawled under there. Its tight, but doable. Used that new Shell Pureplus synthetic made from natural gas. Thanks for the pics vfrguy.

Last edited:
I like to change my oil myself. I believe that nobody cares as much about your car as you do. So, it that vein ... when doing your own oil changes on the CX-5, did you guys use ramps, floor jacks, or just crawl under? Thanks.

I angle cut a 2x10, doubled it and added a short 1x8 on top and drive the front tires up on it. It gives plenty of room and is cheap and safe.

I angle cut a 2x10, doubled it and added a short 1x8 on top and drive the front tires up on it. It gives plenty of room and is cheap and safe.
+1
If you don't jack up front a bit, it'd be very tight. Also, jack up the front will help oil drained more completely.

I use ramps to elevate my CX5 for the oil change. You will need an 8mm long arm allen wrench or better is a 8mm X 3/8 socket to use with a 3/8 ratchet. I use a cap wrench (Fram purchased at Walmats). Additionally; you need the usual drain pan for > 5 quarts, screw driver, rags etc. Have fun. Ed

Back