How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

I, too, would be interested in joining the group buy (subject to price, of course); however, with me being in Canada, I don't know if it would complicate matters too much. Although, if you were willing, I think that it would just be a matter of putting the headrests in a box and shipping them off to me; pretty much the same thing you would have to do for the out of state members of the group. Please let me know.

By the way, I would be looking for the black leather with red accent stitching, as seen in post #46 of this thread.

Thanks

I would be interested too if it's not much more than just picking up the 3 headrest locally. Twsmith79 said it was around 350$ to her, and if everything is shipping to you then you have to ship to us add another almost 50$ to Canada plus duties. I think the 3 headrest is in the ballpark of 200$ so if it's close to 400$ it would be too much for me. Also mine is black cloth.

Look what UPS just delivered...

8BD83F12-C575-4E2A-888F-6235231F7348_zps3szdtagi.jpg

CCD81DAD-C2F8-49C8-B122-064A670B66AC_zpsnpmd0uh4.jpg

I haven't tested them out yet because my wife drove the car to work... I'll test them out tonight. ;)

RE: Group Buy

Group buy is NOT on yet...

In Japan, only black (leather & cloth) seats are currently offered. They DO have 2013 Anniversary edition which comes w/ black & off white (not sand) seats. (wow)

I asked my friend to send me some black leather & cloth (Touring I believe) head restraints & I have a couple extra set if anyone interested... PM me. ;)

So is the top one the leather and the bottom the cloth? I take it the bottom cloth ones are superfluous. Did you just have a friend receive them in Japan for you and then he/she shipped it to you in SF? I have a lot of friends in Japan if that's the right part number for the leather ones. I'm wondering if it is cheaper to get it in Japan or in the UK the next time I'm there (exchange rates and all but also inventory.)

Those looks great!

I think KD49-88-240 34 (vs 02) is sand color, too bad I can't find them anywhere in the US...

Those looks great!

I think KD49-88-240 34 (vs 02) is sand color, too bad I can't find them anywhere in the US...

That's because they don't exist in America! (rant)

The part no. sounds correct but to be specific that's (KD49) cloth for Touring model. KD51 is leather for GT. I believe KD45 is cloth for Sport (can someone confirms this?).

These part numbers and prices I have received from Romania:
KD45-88-240A02 Tetiera textila neagra- 348 lei +tva (textile black-price + tax)
KD51-88-240A02 Tetiera piele neagra, - 348 lei +tva (leather black-price+ tax)
It's a bit expensive in my opinion.

These part numbers and prices I have received from Romania:
KD45-88-240A02 Tetiera textila neagra- 348 lei +tva (textile black-price + tax)
KD51-88-240A02 Tetiera piele neagra, - 348 lei +tva (leather black-price+ tax)
It's a bit expensive in my opinion.

Don't forget to add International shipping cost & duties. (unamused)

P.S. I still have an extra set of black cloth head restraints for Touring (KD49-88-240 02) if you are interested. PM me. ;)

P.S. I still have an extra set of black cloth head restraints for Touring (KD49-88-240 02) if you are interested. PM me. ;)

I messaged you about the KD51-.

My sister is coming from there in May, so she could bring it, but to me more then $100/headrest is to much. I could very well just pull out the one I have there.

those headrests are illegal in NA because they are deemed unsafe.

Proof? NA Mazda decided to change the rear headrests design but the rest of the world are using them. Lots of new cars rear headrests have the same design... even Mazda3 & Mazda6. We'll never know the REAL reason why NA Mazda changed the design. Btw, US version rear headrests are so BIG they are blocking the rear view... that's what I call unsafe. (rolleyes)

Proof? NA Mazda decided to change the rear headrests design but the rest of the world are using them. Lots of new cars rear headrests have the same design... even Mazda3 & Mazda6. We'll never know the REAL reason why NA Mazda changed the design. Btw, US version rear headrests are so BIG they are blocking the rear view... that's what I call unsafe. (rolleyes)

I don't have a CX-5 (yet), but the Non-NA headrests seem to be the same profile as the center rear headrest. I would think that the anti-whiplash protection would be the same across the back seats.

Proof? NA Mazda decided to change the rear headrests design but the rest of the world are using them. Lots of new cars rear headrests have the same design... even Mazda3 & Mazda6. We'll never know the REAL reason why NA Mazda changed the design. Btw, US version rear headrests are so BIG they are blocking the rear view... that's what I call unsafe.

New regulations in USA require specific head rest support design. All OEMs are forced into this. I learned this while I was researching my new car. For example, the Chevy Equinox headrests are designed to sit slightly more forward as a result. Hard to notice the change because their original design looked similar to the new one. Anyway, for proof walk into a knowledgeable car dealer and ask them.

Back