How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

FYI Ya'll.
I went to Japanparts looking for the KD49-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth headrests. I only saw leather on their website. I emailed them and they responded within a day using very good English. They added them onto their website for me. I believe they do not have them in stock, but are able to order them because they said they could not guarantee the color of the stitching (most have been red stitching). I imagine they could order the different colors of headrests even though they may not show on their website.
I put in my order. Total was $168.
Was tempted to buy USA Mazda3 headrests and live with the gap, but decided against it.

They did the same for me within 15-min of sending an inquiry. BTW, according to the info on their site they don't actually have their own inventory; they go to the various manufacturers and obtain the parts we request and send them on. I'm happy with the responsiveness, the example photo they sent me, and the price: $156.59. (I doubt the 2016's are cheaper, so the shipping to Seattle must be a tad lower).

Cheers,

Gary

The new head rests you bought come standard on our new CX-5s here. I guess different countries have slightly different specs. But hey! They're nice:)

I am looking for front head rests for 2015 CX-5 GT (black leather red stitching) that don't tilt forward as much. Not sure if the non US versions (front) don't tilt as forward as much. I did the thread search and didn't see anything (at least from what I saw). Can I bend headrests back a little?

I recieved my jdm headrests in 3 weeks from japanparts. They are the black fabric ones. Fit well. Seats fold. Good view. Recommended. See my post from 4/4 for more info on ordering.
THANKS everyone!!

I recieved my jdm headrests in 3 weeks from japanparts. They are the black fabric ones. Fit well. Seats fold. Good view. Recommended. See my post from 4/4 for more info on ordering.
THANKS everyone!!

What color was the stitching on the black cloth?

have you tried rotating them 180 deg.?

They physically fit backwards, back I can't rest my head on without tilting back too much.

I feel the front headrests are angled so that its too far forward as it, or angled to far back having them backwards. Are non-us spec front headrests different as compared to the US versions?

I am looking for front head rests for 2015 CX-5 GT (black leather red stitching) that don't tilt forward as much. Not sure if the non US versions (front) don't tilt as forward as much. I did the thread search and didn't see anything (at least from what I saw). Can I bend headrests back a little?
All CX-5 front seat headrests are the same, regardless of country. Most owners solve this issue by tilting the seatback back a degree or two. Someone on another forum claims to have bent the headrest rods back a bit using a bench vise, but I looked at this a while back and it didn't seem very feasible to me.

Just so everyone is aware www.japanparts.com also has the rear headrests in black leather with RED STITCHING! I was not aware of this until today and actually ordered a pair with just black stitching. Oh how I wish I had ordered the red stitching version.

Just so everyone is aware www.japanparts.com also has the rear headrests in black leather with RED STITCHING! I was not aware of this until today and actually ordered a pair with just black stitching. Oh how I wish I had ordered the red stitching version.
It's be discussed earlier that you can get any kind of rear-seat JDM headrests from Japanparts.com. Here are some older posts with popular JDM headrests and part numbers. Going through Japanparts.com apparently is easier now as they list the items on their website instead of email inquiring. I'm happy to see people can get these JDM headrests a lot cheaper than earlier situation, and hope people are enjoying unblocked view from rearview mirror and easy rear-seatback folding.

Why don't you email them and correct the ordering error you made? Their email response and service are excellent.

I'd mentioned earlier at post #391 in this thread. You can email japanparts.com providing part number and get the price quote for these non-US spec rear seat headrests. Last time I emailed them and the price quote was the same as I paid for at a Mazda dealer in Taipei, which is the list price for the headrest in Japan or Taiwan at about USD$50 a piece as the exchange rate varies. You do have to pay expensive shipping at $30~$50 for both which may take up to a month so make sure to ask shipping cost too. I was about to order a pair of headrests from japanparts.com but decided not to as I found out I had a trip coming up to Taipei.

The part numbers for non-US version rear seat headrests are:

K072-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Black Leather Rear Seat Headrest with Black Stitches
K073-88-240 39 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Parchment Leather Rear Seat Headrest with White Stitches
K070-88-240 02 - 2016 Mazda CX-5 Non-US Spec Black Cloth Rear Seat Headrest with Black Stitches

I suggest you contacting japanparts.com for the headrests as they're reputable source. If you notice many people getting paddle shifter parts from them too and that's how I found out I could get the Japanese headrests from them.

The part numbers for Mazda CX-5 non-US version JDM rear seat headrests are:

2013~2015:
KD49-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Red Stitching
KD51-88-240 02 - Black GT Leather with Red Stitching
KD51-88-240 34 - Sand GT Leather with Sand Stitching

2016~?:
K070-88-240 02 - Black Touring Cloth with Black Stitching
K072-88-240 02 - Black GT Leather with Black Stitching
K073-88-240 39 - Parchment GT Leather with Parchment Stitching

Don't try to get those JDM headrests from US Mazda dealers. They can't order those.

To answer a previous question about stitching on cloth head rests. Japanparts said they would not know what color stitching they would be getting, but mine came with black stitching.

To answer a previous question about stitching on cloth head rests. Japanparts said they would not know what color stitching they would be getting, but mine came with black stitching.
Or just give Japanparts.com correct part number listed above for color stitching you want.

Thanks to all who have provided headrest information. On April 3, 2016, I ordered K073-88-240 39 - Parchment GT Leather with Parchment Stitching. Around $170 delivered. Arrived today, May 9, 2016. Perfect match.

Or just give Japanparts.com correct part number listed above for color stitching you want.

I did order KD49-88 240 02 and got black stitching. The link they provided below shows the headrest w black stitching right next to the Mazda part number sticker.

It may just be an issue with the cloth headrest (not knowing what color stitching one will receive)

From Japanparts:
"Thanks for your mail and I've posted the part (KD49-88-240 02) on my website.
https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/40843
Unfortunately, I can NOT check the color of the stitching.

Best regards,"

I emailed them and they promptly replied and have switched my order to red stitching. JapanParts.com is amazing!!! Since the red stitched ones are cheaper they are crediting my account with the left over 1,000 Yen.
FYI-
Leather Rear Head Rest with Red Stitching is part# KD51-88-240 02
Leather Rear Head Rest with Black Stitching is part# KO72-88-240 02

Leather Rear Head Rest with Red Stitching is part# KD51-88-240 02
Leather Rear Head Rest with Black Stitching is part# KO72-88-240 02

Isn't that what yrwei52 has been telling us?

I agree, my experience with japanparts.com was excellent. I'm happy to have the black cloth rear headrests.

I got the Leather Head Rest with Red Stitching on http://en.impex-jp.com/. Web site is pretty poor, and customer communication is not very great. But, for the pair it was $87 and $14 for shipping it was cheaper to get. Ordered on 5/11 received on 5/26.

How did you chose, the one you wanted? That site, is horrible, but if it is cheap than that works for me.
I just don't understand, how do I chose what I need(black cloth w/black stitching)?

How did you chose, the one you wanted? That site, is horrible, but if it is cheap than that works for me.
I just don't understand, how do I chose what I need(black cloth w/black stitching)?
I imagine if you give Impec Japan the Mazda part number according to MY and color listed above, they'll get them in Japan and ship them over. The saving is on shipping from Impec Japan somehow they found a way to ship parts internationally cheaper and faster!

Back