Tech Package vs No Tech Package

kobec

:
Mazda CX-5
I'm still going back and forth on this one...getting the GT model...but now the dealer's said he has both available in the color i want. Anyone wanna give me some advice? Some things I've been considering...

1. Navigation - I have a Garmin with lifetime updates...so don't know if i really need this...does resale do better with a navi in a car?
2. Mazda Advanced Keyless Entry - this is convenient...but worth it?
3. Alarm system - Probably one of the key reasons why I'd consider the tech package...would reduce insurance...by how much? I have no idea.
4. Bi-xenon headlights with auto leveling - another nice to have feature
5. Pivoting Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) - also nice
6. Auto dimming mirror w/ Homelink - i live in a condo and don't have a garage...so the homelink is lost on me

Any help in deciding would be great! thanks!

The bi-xenon alone is a worthwhile option. All the others is just a bonus.

1. Navigation - I have a Garmin with lifetime updates...so don't know if i really need this...does resale do better with a navi in a car?
3. Alarm system - Probably one of the key reasons why I'd consider the tech package...would reduce insurance...by how much? I have no idea.
6. Auto dimming mirror w/ Homelink - i live in a condo and don't have a garage...so the homelink is lost on me

1. My CX5 didn't come with navigation, but I picked it up from the dealer for $500 plus tax. It's tomtom nav, and it's fairly responsive. The voice recognition is s****, though. Be forewarned.
3. I went with the Karr alarm system, and am happy so far. It comes stock with an annoying horn chirp on lock and unlock, but you can disable that.
4. This is something I didn't get, but am waiting a bit to see if they offer any OEM equipment for it.
5. See #4. Same deal. Nice to have, but I don't really notice any issues with driving at night without it.
6. This is a personal preference.

I was debating the same thing and just went for it. If you think about the conveniences of the tech package, I think it's worth it. The Nav is intuitive and will actually be used. Alarm system - potential insurance savings. Keyless entry - meh, doesn't make much difference to me, but I'm sure I'll like it. I've never had the pivoting headlights, but I hear folks say they're great especially when there are boatloads of deer runnin' round. I say take it! Cheers.

I'm still going back and forth on this one...getting the GT model...but now the dealer's said he has both available in the color i want. Anyone wanna give me some advice? Some things I've been considering...

1. Yes and no. GPS units are pretty affordable these days, but the tomtom solution Mazda has is alright.
2. Its convenient, and worth being part of the Tech package. I love the walk away locking feature. Just have to be mindful of interference from mobile phone, surroundings...may not lock if there is interference. Also states this in the manual.
3. Alarm is pretty good for stock. Depending on your insurance, the immobilizer and anti theft alarm should get you some savings.
4. Bi-xenon headlights...i use to buy Silverstar and GE nighthawks bulbs on my P5 and loved having a slightly brighter light. The CX5 with BI-xenon is incredible. Night time driving is effortless.
5. Still getting use to the AFS. its nice but need more time driving at night to see the benefit
6. The auto-dimming is nice. Really useful to eliminate the glare from the d-bags that drive with their high beams behind you.

If it is in your budget, the tech package is the way to go.

Last edited:
My incoming car does not have the Tech Package....I would have liked it for the lights and enhanced locking, but I likely won't miss it. Bought the TomTom kit for $449 to move to factory NAV...15 minute install..

Looking from the list you're getting GT? TO get tech package in Touring I would have to get moonroof package as well so I decided to skip this. Here is my list:
1. Navigation - as mentioned 15 minutes install. Price is steep for now. I'll wait for those to show up at the junk yards in few months :)
2. Nice one, but I would not pay for tech package just to get this one.
3. Alarm - my insurance is so low I can't see it could go any lower
4. This is the thing that would get me sold on this package (if it wasn't for the moon required). The xenon lights are worth a lot, but not $2k. BTW. In my father's toyota the hole bi-xenon headlamp is a standalone unit (meaning that self leveling is done within the light itself). He could as easily go from regular to xenons and back as he wished. If Mazda's lights are done the same way it means that we'll be able to upgrade as soon as OEM lights show up on the market as spare parts.
5. See point 4, pivoting blinkers can be as easily done all-within-the-light to allow simply upgrade by switching headlights.
6. This is $200 part that you can get everywhere.

Again - the tech package is great on it's own. But on touring it requires moonroof and bose for another $1k installed which effectively makes it $2k package and even then you don't get the advanced keyless entry feature, so I decided to skip it.

Some of these are so essential they're not even options in Australia - they're standard.
A lot of people wouldn't part with them....

I reckon.... get the lot.

1. Navigation is the best in-car out there. Resale would match the additional cost, because it's a fairly economical system. (Australia: Standard on all but entry model)
2. Keyless entry is one of the most convenient parts of this car. (Australia: standard on all)
3. Alarm system - you can get one of these anywhere after market
4. + 5. - Xenon is very handy on country roads (AFS too). - (Australia: both standard on GT)
6. This is probably the most gimmicky on the list - skip (standard on all international models apart from US)

The option I tried and have considered compulsory: blind spot monitoring. It's bloody awesome!!

Some of these are so essential they're not even options in Australia - they're standard.
A lot of people wouldn't part with them....

I reckon.... get the lot.

2. Keyless entry is one of the most convenient parts of this car. (Australia: standard on all)

The option I tried and have considered compulsory: blind spot monitoring. It's bloody awesome!!
Are you sure it's the same keyless entry we are talking about? Here in US all of them have keyless entry, but only GT+Tech have advanced keyless module allowing you to open the door with fob in your pocket. All the rest have 'standard' keyless fob where you have to press the fob lock/unlock button.

Are you sure it's the same keyless entry we are talking about? Here in US all of them have keyless entry, but only GT+Tech have advanced keyless module allowing you to open the door with fob in your pocket. All the rest have 'standard' keyless fob where you have to press the fob lock/unlock button.

Yeah I've just learned that from another thread. I am really not sure how it differs, and will ask the dealer next time I'm in. I thought it was all the same.
That said, the system I used in the GT (one fob rules all) - was fantastic.

Yeah I've just learned that from another thread. I am really not sure how it differs, and will ask the dealer next time I'm in. I thought it was all the same.
That said, the system I used in the GT (one fob rules all) - was fantastic.
The difference is that small button on the door handle allowing you to unlock door without using fob (it's enough that it's in the proximity of the car). That's the only difference. Fobs look exactly identical.

Over here in Canada, the tech package for ~1400$ adds only:

- HID w/AFS
- Navigation
- Sirius Satellite radio

Everything else is standard on the GT and that particular trim is also not available without AWD here. I did not take the tech package personally, the only thing I thought I would miss are the HIDs (because I had them on my previous car) but so far the headlights seem to be bright enough. Advanced keyless is great though, not sure I could live without now after using it.

Sucks that you have to get the whole package for just a few "interesting" things, but that's how they roll.

Last edited:

I have a similar package on my CX9 GT. My thoughts:
1) built in nav is the cat's pajamas. No more fiddling with cords or inviting theft. I'll never have another car without it. Of course the CX5 allows aftermarket "factory" nav to be installed so take that into consideration.
2) I like the Mazda keyless system on my car. Not sure how it differs on the CX5. In general, the tech package on the CX5 seems very similar, with a few updates, to the same package on the CX9.
3) Alarm is good for cutting insurance by $50 bucks or so. I have an iphone operated remote starter/alarm that is quite handy. Mine is a Python product not the Mazda remote. For what it's worth, I can open my rear hatch in Boston while traveling in Singapore. Woopie!
4) Bi Xenons are great. Period. You can install them aftermarket.
5) haven't tried this but seems a tad gimicky
6) I like the homelink. No need to fumble for the garage door opener. Useful even when the car is just sitting in the driveway too.

what package would you have to get to have the advanced keyless entry in Canada? It seems to be different and confusing. And I read a thread on the fob in Canada and how it is quite positional.

what package would you have to get to have the advanced keyless entry in Canada? It seems to be different and confusing. And I read a thread on the fob in Canada and how it is quite positional.

I believe the option is part of the Tech package, but only currently available on the GT trim.

Last edited:

Advanced keyless is included on the base GT Trim without tech. Standard keyless (without the black button on the front doors) is base on all other trims.

awesome thanks. ya, the GT is sharp. I like the leather seats but Mazda does such a great job with fabric interiors that sometimes I think I'd rather have the fabric seats in a GT haha,

You know what angered me about the tech package in touring trim is that it omits Sirius Radio. In the brochure it shows O/A for the sat radio. Meaning Option/Dealer installed accessory. Well its dealer only in the touring. Really grinds my gears.

Advanced keyless is included on the base GT Trim without tech. Standard keyless (without the black button on the front doors) is base on all other trims.

That's incorrect. I just bought a "base" model GT and it did not come with the Advance Keyless feature, no button on the door handles.

Back