After Timing Belt Install=Loss of Timing/Stalling

speedin

:
MSP 03.5
after doing a new timing belt i correctly setting the timing but it runs for a few seconds and skips timing. the spring on the tensioner stretches toward the fire wall, stalls the car. any ideas? these are before and after photos. a video will be on you tube shortly.

Attachments

• DSC_5996.JPG
    DSC_5996.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 447
  • DSC_5997.JPG
    DSC_5997.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
I remembered to tighten it. The only thing I found about the tensioner was to torque it down to about 40 ft. Lbs. Which seems like nothing.

the rubber does not go the whole length on the spring i replaced or the two that i just ordered. it only goes about 1/2 way down it.

Roger...

I checked my parts box and I have an old one and what seems to be an updated one

The one I bought last month has a more narrow rubber

so am i supposed to wrench the tension pulley assy as tight as can be? it seems like 40 ft lbs is a bit light but maybe it is supposed to have some movement for belt deflection?

I am assuming that your tensioner turns freely with a moderate amount of resistance. I have had experience with aftermarket tensioners that once the bolt is torqued down will no longer turn to take up the tension on the belt. However, this problem seems to be the opposite. Do you think you stretched the spring too much when you were installing the belt? it is a common problem.

I am thinking no because I did not install the tensioner spring until after everything was bolted including the tensioner. Maybe a dumb question but is it tensioner supposedto float back and forth and let the spring keep the tension? I'm wondering that because i really didn't find any solid torque specs 4 the tensioner pulley bolt.

IIRC it is a solid block with a tube/pin for the bolt. The bearing is just on the o.d. for the pulley and belt.

There is an allen key hole on the tensioner, use this and an allen wrench to set the timing on the belt NOT the spring you WILL stretch the spring and it CANNOT be stretched if it is to work properly. The tensioner can be rotated, make sure it is rotated towards the front of the car. You can swap the spring around to make the rubber on the other side but it won't make a difference. Also make sure you have the correct belt.

^^^^^^ That is how I set the timing. I first lined up the marks on the crank to block, then the cam gears and then put the belt in place on the tensioner. once everything was veryfied in-place i put some tension (snug with some deflection) on the pulley toward the front of the car using the allen key hole, tightened down the bolt to 40 ft lbs and then attached the spring. it is a direct replacement belt from Gates. I forget the number on it but I did verify before it was the right one when this problem started.

Here is the heading of the youtube video.
Greg's 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege Timing belt tensioner problem

You can see the tensioner start to slip toward the firewall and spring stretch out. the sound at the end is one of the cam gears finishing its cycle and slipping on the belt. you also can hear how smooth the car is running previous to it shutting off and losing time.

Hmmm...

Perhaps there is something wrong with the cams then, Normally they turn quite easily and it would make sense that if there was added resistance up top, then that would place a larger load on the belt and then stretch out the spring..

Yes I replace my head gasket and head. I do not have the specs in front of me but everything was torqued to spec and I primed everything by cycling the engine over with no fire or fuel

Make sure you didn't over torque the cam caps (100 in lb. I believe), do the cams turn like they should or do they bind?

They moved pretty freely with the use of a wrench. But I will go double check that again as I am out of ideas.

Back