Diesel version coming to US?

particleman

:
CX-5 Touring AWD, Tech package, Metro Grey
I have read and heard all of the rumors about the diesel engine coming to the US. Reports said the engine would come here, but Mazda would not say in which car. This article: http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/01/mazda-begins-production-of-diesel.html says it is indeed coming in the CX-5 in early 2013.

When I went to drive a CX-5 last week and mentioned I might want to wait for the diesel, the salesman said, "Yeah, if and when we ever get it. Could be a few years, if that." I figured he just wanted to sell me a car that night rather than risk losing the sale.

Is this article to be believed? Does anyone know if we are actually going to get the diesel version early next year? If so, I can wait a year, no problem.

The best questimate I saw was 'diesel in new mazda 6 next year, then maybe it'll trickle down to other models'. I wouldn't hold my breath.

well, it's all rumor at this point whether or not the Diesel CX5 will reach the U.S. Some reps say yes, some reps say no. Mazda is pretty mum about it, saying that the diesel will reach the U.S., but they wouldn't elaborate whether that will be the CX-5 or the next gen 6. However, it would make sense to bring it over since the design is already complete. I'm holding out for a diesel version myself...

I know for a fact I'm not pulling the trigger on a new CX 5 till they offer a diesel. As good as the driving dynamics and fuel economy are I need the extra fun quota that only comes from more HP and torque.

Other than VW/Audi and Mercedes, every other passenger vehicle maker that tried diesel backed out after short runs. I wish it wasn't so but I think the marketing types are scared to death of selling diesel engines to Joe and Jane Blow in the US. I too would buy a CX5 diesel in a heartbeat but have a sinking feeling that we will not see one on these shores for years if ever.

It may be a niche market but it could be a big niche market. I'd guess that half the people who buy Subaru Outbacks would love a CX5 diesel. Some of the hybrid crowd would switch too.

Glad I'm not the only one. My 3 hatch is still going strong, so I'm hesitant to take the plunge with a new CX-5 right now if the diesel may in fact make it here in a year. Getting a diesel motor without having to put up with the questionable reliability, expensive parts, and high insurance of a German car would be great.

Other than VW/Audi and Mercedes, every other passenger vehicle maker that tried diesel backed out after short runs.

That used to be the case here in Australia. It's also the case in Japan.

The Japanese media is advertising the CX-5 as the vehicle that's going to turn the Japanese market around. At present, the diesel usage in passenger vehicles is less than 1%. Diesel is cheaper in Japan that normal petrol, and with the fact that the CX-5 diesel is a much better performing vehicle, Mazda Japan is hoping to sell 50% of each type.

The sales percentage of diesel in the US is what Australia was about 4 years ago. But with fuel prices rising, and decent Euro diesels being pushed the market has changed. The past 4 years, there has been a 40% growth in diesel sales year to year, to a point where manufacturers not offering clean diesels are losing sales.

Every other Mazda market is selling the CX-5 Diesel now, and I think it won't take long for Mazda US to realise that it's a winner and introduce it.

Let's hope they're quick.
An example of not importing a vehicle early is the following...
When the VW Scirocco was released in Europe, VW in Australia ignored it because they thought the Golf R would be good enough. Only a few months in, there was enough customer demand for the Scirocco that VW Australia made moves to import it..... it took 3 years.

Now thankfully we get Golf R and Scirocco R - and they're both selling extremely well.
I'd have to have been patient for 3 years though.

VW Australia noting the Scirocco

Last edited:
Not sure if it's to be believed, but the salesman I was dealing with in Canada said a CX-5 diesel by the end of the year. He claimed the next model with a diesel would be the Mazda5?!?!?

I'm also in the camp where I would pull the trigger on a CX-5 in the next month or so, but am willing to wait another 6-9 months to see if any news of the diesel firms up. My biggest fear is that it would only be offered in the top-tier models, while I'm looking for a base 6pd. manual car.

Diesel didn't get pulled after a short run because of poor sales. They got pulled because US tier 2 regulations on emissions kicked in that are more stringent then the EU countries and it didn't make sense to re-engineer for the smaller US market.

I think the CX-5 is one of the few upcoming diesels that does not have to cart around a tank of urea for emission control.

From what I keep reading, I was expecting March-April 2013 for the diesel CX-5. However, when I mentioned waiting for the diesel to one of my local dealers, he said it would be coming in January.

Like the rest of you, we are holding off on purchasing a CX-5 for more details the diesel (specifically price). I do believe it will come to the US, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. I would like to sell my CTS-V today to start saving, but that would only guarantee that the diesel never makes it here. ;)

Mazda is expecting a 40-50% take on the diesel in Japan, so I imagine part of the delay is to make damn sure they can meet demand in other parts of the world and hopefully vet out any issues that crop up. Some of the American public is fickle on the subject of diesels - Mazda needs to get it right.

However, when I mentioned waiting for the diesel to one of my local dealers, he said it would be coming in January.

January?!?! That's way better than the "could be a few years, if at all" I got from my dealer. If there were a sign-up or deposit list for the diesels, I'd go put one down now.

January?!?! That's way better than the "could be a few years, if at all" I got from my dealer. If there were a sign-up or deposit list for the diesels, I'd go put one down now.
of course he would tell you that, That would be the only way you would buy a CX-5 that day was is you thought that it would never come with the diesel.

Is there any reasoning behind why the US doesn't get the diesel now?

Is there any reasoning behind why the US doesn't get the diesel now?

I have not seen that question answered by anyone. Given that the market for diesels in the US is (currently) very small, I think they have very little to gain and everything to lose by releasing it as soon as possible in the US.

Sure, most of us enthusiasts want the diesel, but a vast majority of Americans won't touch the diesel unless it makes financial sense (like buying a new car makes financial sense!). My wife's reasoning for not wanting a diesel is the smell and higher cost of fuel.

On top of that, I hear that Mazda is somewhat strapped for cash. Just a wild guess - I don't know what the cost of certifying a diesel with the EPA and CARB is, but they may be trying to spread that out and/or pay for it with the profits from the gas CX-5.

I agree with DougNuts. Also I think the price of diesel being higher than gasoline in the US is playing a major role as well. I'm sure the diesel option will be the costlier of the two and with the added increase in diesel fuel over gasoline makes a poor financial case for many Americans. I understand their reasoning for not bringing it in so soon and I can't blame them.

Not sure if it's to be believed, but the salesman I was dealing with in Canada said a CX-5 diesel by the end of the year. He claimed the next model with a diesel would be the Mazda5?!?!?

I'm pretty sure your dealer got it wrong. It'll be either the CX-5 or the next gen Mazda 6. The reason is because CX-5 skyactiv-d already exists and the next gen 6 already has plans for a skyactiv-d engine with the eneloop tech. Maybe he mixed up the Mazda 5 for a CX-5?

well without a hybrid vehicle I believe mazda will bring a diesel to the market to meet MPG regulations. to which car is unk. Mazda is in talk with toyota for a hybrid vehicle. with combine effort from toyota means less profits. the diesel tech in mazda has been developed a lot further therefore i believe mazda will rather sell more diesels.

Diesel didn't get pulled after a short run because of poor sales. They got pulled because US tier 2 regulations on emissions kicked in that are more stringent then the EU countries and it didn't make sense to re-engineer for the smaller US market.

I think the CX-5 is one of the few upcoming diesels that does not have to cart around a tank of urea for emission control.

Before the Tier 2 regulations went into effect, the only diesel passenger vehicles sold in the US were Mercedes and VW. Both dropped their diesels for a couple of years before introducing the tier 2 compliant Bluetec versions that are on the road now.

I think the issue of diesels in the US sadly relates back to the horrific experience with diesels in the mid 1970's when GM tried to bugger a gasoline engine into a diesel (Oldsmobile as I recall) and sold a bunch of them during the first fuel crisis/embargo. Those engines were so horrible that it ruined the public's notion of diesel engines, at least for passenger vehicles. Detroit and apparently Japan have been reluctant to put resources into selling diesels to what they perceive is a small niche market. The US market for super economy cars seems to continue to favor hybrids so that is another reason manufacturers have not taken the dive into diesels. Too bad as I think a Japanese car company, with their reputations for reliability, would do extremely well with a diesel. I hope Mazda follows through with the CX5 but would point out that they also said there would be a diesel version of the CX9 that never made it here.

Back