How to: Install Sparco Steering wheel on Protege 5's, MSP's, ES

This applies to all Sparco, Nardi, Momo, etc 6 bolt steering wheels.

*disclaimer*
This can be a very dangerous procedure if not careful. Im assume no responsibility for any damage or injury that may occur while doing the modification. This is merely the way I did it and would like to share my experiences.

I installed my Sparco Strada steering wheel lastnight. Not a difficult install at all. Everything went smoothly.

I first started by removing the negative cable on the battery.
sparcoinstall010.jpg

I then pressed the brake pedal for about 30 seconds to fully discharge the system.
I removed the dust cover caps to expose the (2) 10mm bolts that attach the airbag. These are loctaed under the steering wheel. one on the passenger side, and one on the drivers side.
sparcoinstall007.jpg

Remove the 10mm bolts using a long extension. When doing this, its a good idea to not sit directly in the path of the air bag, just in case.
sparcoinstall009.jpg

sparcoinstall011.jpg

Unplug the yellow connector and remove air bag and again, not facing the air bag by holding it away from you.
sparcoinstall013.jpg

sparcoinstall012.jpg

sparcoinstall016.jpg

sparcoinstall018.jpg

Heres what you should have now.
sparcoinstall019.jpg

Next, unplug the white connector.
With a 21mm socket and short extension, remove the center nyloc not that holds the wheel in place. (no pic of that lol)
sparcoinstall020.jpg

After you unplug the connector, and remove the nyloc nut, wiggle the steering wheel till it comes off. You'll need to guide the plugs through the open cutout, then the wheel is free.
sparcoinstall021.jpg
[/img]
The wheel off. lol
sparcoinstall023.jpg

This is what you're left with.
sparcoinstall022.jpg

Now you must remove the steering column trim by removing the 3 bolts located underneath the column.
You dont have to remove the lower piece entirely, just pull it down enough to get the extra room you need to get at the next bolts. I did remove the upper piece though.
sparcoinstall026.jpg

sparcoinstall027.jpg

Remove the 3 screws, and unplug the yellow and black connectors.
sparcoinstall028.jpg

Then remove the unit.
sparcoinstall029.jpg

Now this is where my dilemma starts. I have no idea how I would hook up a horn as I only see these 2 connectors. I dont really want to start cutting up any oem wiring, so I just reinstalled the steering trim and tucked those wires away for now till I figure out what to do.
The new goods.
sparcoinstall033.jpg

sparcoinstall034.jpg

Now install the hub using the 21mm nyloc nut. In this case its an NRG short hub. On the back of the hub there are 2 holes. These must line up with the 2 white nylon studs.
sparcoinstall035.jpg

Not real happy with those gaps that shows the inards of the steering column. But its a solid piece no doubt.
sparcoinstall037.jpg

Next, grab the base of the quick release unit.
sparcoinstall039.jpg

Install it using the screws and allen key supplied. Tighten them in a criss cross pattern.
sparcoinstall040.jpg

sparcoinstall041.jpg

Now go grab your steering wheel, a Sparco Strada for me. :)
Take the locking portion of the quick release unit and bolt it to the steering wheel. You'll need to purchase 10mm momo, sparco, nardi, nrg, etc bolts as the wheel does not come whith them.
sparcoinstall042.jpg

sparcoinstall043.jpg

Next install your horn button and apply Sparco sticker.
sparcoinstall046.jpg

Comparison: stock vs Sparco Strada 350mm.
sparcoinstall047.jpg

and locked on the car. I must say, it locks SOLID. No play whatsoever. Awesome!
sparcoinstall050.jpg

sparcoinstall061.jpg

sparcoinstall048.jpg

before:
sparcoinstall001.jpg

after:
sparcoinstall002.jpg

I LOVE LOVE the way it feels when driving. Also, removing it is pretty cool too I must say. Makes nice solid cluck as it locks in position. lol
I've had a few wheels on different cars in the past and forgot how they truly transform the driving experience in a car. Really nice.
However, the turn signals will only turn off after making more than a 90* turn. Regular turns it stays on constantly. I'll have to look into that.
Oh and the airbag light is flashing so I delete that bulb in the dash soon. lol

*I posted here because the how to thread wouldnt allow me to post a new thread. mods feel free to move as needed.*

this helped me out :)

bro where you at havent seen you on here.
also on mines horn works :p

Just an fyi: proper air bag removal procedure is unplug battery, wait 10 min, make sure your free from all static electricity, then proceed to remove the air bag.

Great how too bro!

Im guessing you ended up not using the Cruise Control? Im looking to keep mine. =)

Also do you think there is enough room to use just the short hub and a 3" deep dish wheel?

Thanks!

are all sparco steering wheel removable? or do you have to buy extra components to do the installation?

I know this is a old post, but I just installed a JDM wheel with the help of your tutorial. The hub adapter I used has a top marked on it which is wrong. It would of gave me the same turn signal problem you had. The two pins on the turn signal cancel have to be at the 9 and 3 o'clock position with the cam at the 9 o'clock. My hub had the cam at about the 11 o'clock if I installed it with the top marking at 12 o'clock which would cause a cancelling problem. As for the horn I just have to find which terminal is for the horn on the connectors, a test light will help figure it out.

I noticed your dash over your meters are a different color! Did you remove it and painted it? If so, how? I wanted to do that, I already removed the center console and past I'd it white.

Back