What did you pay for your CX-5?

Just picked up our 2017 Black mica CX5 GT AWD with premium yesterday for $1500 under MSRP. So just about $500 under invoice. Best deal I could find in the bay area. NO haggle just said I wanted the best price and I got it. It pays to shop around to see what KBB says and what others are paying.

From reading Truecar you'd swear that none of these cars will go for less than $500 above invoice. But with only $900 of gross profit, which would barely be enough to even pay the salespeople by itself, there's got to be a lot of holdback or something on these cars. It's almost as if you can't believe the invoice price but that would be crazy.

And for the Bay Area it actually gets worse, according to Truecar, when there are more car dealers in the area, the prices get higher.

Maybe I shouldn't believe Truecar?

From reading Truecar you'd swear that none of these cars will go for less than $500 above invoice. But with only $900 of gross profit, which would barely be enough to even pay the salespeople by itself, there's got to be a lot of holdback or something on these cars. It's almost as if you can't believe the invoice price but that would be crazy.

And for the Bay Area it actually gets worse, according to Truecar, when there are more car dealers in the area, the prices get higher.

Maybe I shouldn't believe Truecar?

Trucar is a sham. So are people quoting Invoice Price. There is no way to guarantee if an invoice # quoted is valid. I have not seen one with Mazda stamp on it - I am not even sure if Invoice changes from port to port because shipping etc. will be different.
I know only 2 numbers - MSRP! and the discount % on MSRP - rest is all hogwash.
Invoice can be printed to read whatever dollar amount you want. I had a Hyundai dealer quote Invoice $400 less than MSRP. Suck it up - I am not paying anywhere near that.
Costco > Trucar if you value your time more than money.

When there was enough data on Trucar - last september - I beat their lowest price by another 2.5 Grand. So Trucar is Shucar in reality.

Trucar is a sham. So are people quoting Invoice Price. There is no way to guarantee if an invoice # quoted is valid. I have not seen one with Mazda stamp on it - I am not even sure if Invoice changes from port to port because shipping etc. will be different.
Invoice can be printed to read whatever dollar amount you want. I had a Hyundai dealer quote Invoice $400 less than MSRP. Suck it up - I am not paying anywhere near that.

When there was enough data on Trucar - last september - I beat their lowest price by another 2.5 Grand. So Trucar is Shucar in reality.

Yeah, just out of curiosity, I tried looking at some Miatas with Truecar and laughed my ass off when they came back with stupidly high prices.

I used Costco and contacted the Costco trained sales rep at the local dealer that came up. Costco's site said that dealership should be able to "meet or beat" the specified price (which was invoice, in the case of a FWD GT + PEP). The price quoted back to me was just a few hundred below MSRP, but was higher than invoice, so... someone isn't following instructions. Boo on that!

I used Costco and contacted the Costco trained sales rep at the local dealer that came up. Costco's site said that dealership should be able to "meet or beat" the specified price (which was invoice, in the case of a FWD GT + PEP). The price quoted back to me was just a few hundred below MSRP, but was higher than invoice, so... someone isn't following instructions. Boo on that!

Car buying is like rolling a dice. If you dont have anything written from the dealer they play games. Speak to the dealer first, confirm before you go - Once you go to the dealer, you have your time invested and he will play to his advantage.
Vangergraph line of dealerships pulled this on me - Oh you want that used car - the key was snatched by 2nd salesman saying its sold just now (It was so dramatic my wife clapped and almost said bravo). How dumb you think we are? There are more used Camry's than oxygen molecules in Dallas / Ft Worth. I can get 10 others if I dont close this deal. Dont pull that dumb trick on people.

Truecar is a pro-dealer site for people who can't be bothered to negotiate and want to feel like they're getting a good deal. However, the "invoice" prices really are that close to MSRP. I still was able to negotiate a tad over $700 under invoice which ended up being 6.5% off MSRP.

Truecar is a pro-dealer site for people who can't be bothered to negotiate and want to feel like they're getting a good deal. However, the "invoice" prices really are that close to MSRP. I still was able to negotiate a tad over $700 under invoice which ended up being 6.5% off MSRP.

I don't think we're debating that those are the actual invoice prices, instead, what we're saying is that the invoice no longer has any resemblance to the actual cost that a dealer pays for a car. In other words, it's meaningless.

It's a good read.

I read it a few weeks ago when I noticed that Mazda was claiming that there was less than 3% gross profit on the CX5 and WTF symbols appeared above my head

Agreed. I was like "how the heck can you operate, if you have margins that small?" Figured invoice isn't what they actually paid for the vehicle.

this thread is depressing.... :p(hand) bought mine on day one it came out on my dealer's lot & paid 33k+TTL from NY, NJ dealers were asking more.... Jukstkidding... still love the car...

have to mute this forum looking at the deals others are getting...

Just picked up a Snowflake White 2017 CX-5 GT for $30,500 + fees with loyalty rebate in Portland. Was in the market for 2016.5 but inventory for color/features was running lean. 2nd Mazda to our stable of CXs.

Took our trade in car to 3 different places, if we take the average offer we got for it from the 3 different dealerships then we paid $29000 OTD for a loaded GT. For a big of backstory of how I got to that number , of course in the haggling process they said 'we'll give you our original offer for your car plus $1000 (insert pointless number here) but all I cared about was 'if I give you my car how big of a check do i need to include with it to get a 2016.5 GT CX5'. They can knock a grand off the price of their car or add 1000 to the offer for my trade in, from my perspective it's a wash.

Took our trade in car to 3 different places, if we take the average offer we got for it from the 3 different dealerships then we paid $29000 OTD for a loaded GT. For a big of backstory of how I got to that number , of course in the haggling process they said 'we'll give you our original offer for your car plus $1000 (insert pointless number here) but all I cared about was 'if I give you my car how big of a check do i need to include with it to get a 2016.5 GT CX5'. They can knock a grand off the price of their car or add 1000 to the offer for my trade in, from my perspective it's a wash.

Congrats and enjoy the ride. This info tells us nothing though, and doesn't help anyone hoping to see prices paid. Maybe you can share the selling price and MSRP alone without any rebates or trade-in subtracted...

Not entirely true. If they lower the price of the car, then taxes you pay will be lower as well. That is not the case if the sales price stays the same and they up the trade-in.

Not entirely true. If they lower the price of the car, then taxes you pay will be lower as well. That is not the case if the sales price stays the same and they up the trade-in.

In Texas if you trade a 10000 dollar car and buy a 25000 dollar car - you pay tax on the difference i.e. 15000.
So if the trade in goes up or the selling price goes down - the difference reduces, so your taxes are reduced in both cases.

In Texas if you trade a 10000 dollar car and buy a 25000 dollar car - you pay tax on the difference i.e. 15000.
So if the trade in goes up or the selling price goes down - the difference reduces, so your taxes are reduced in both cases.

Seriously? I thought the taxes were based strictly on the sales price, not on how much you are financing. Good to know! I had no idea :) That makes a little difference in negotiating, when a trade-in is involved.

Last edited:
Seriously? I thought the taxes were based strictly on the sales price, not on how much you are financing. Good to know! I had no idea :) That makes a little difference in negotiating, when a trade-in is involved.
Or when you have a Max sales tax no matter the price paid. Here, it is $300. Nice, huh...

Back