What did you pay for your CX-5?

Finally getting some decent pricing and availablity out of two dealers in the San Diego area; clear at the other end of the state! Located 5 cars that will work. One dealers quoted $300 over invoice, the other invoice. The latter would save me $700 over the one N. Calif. dealer I could find who has one on his inbound list for this month who won't budge of MSRP. What a hassle!

I bought mine last day of the month in June, they had no GT's in stock, closest one we wanted (blue) was 3 months away. I ended up getting the floor model which was Aluminum Metallic, its so bright in the sun :) 1200 off MSRP, I didn't want the 19's, I'm probably the only owner of a GT with 17's (I work in a tire shop and know how stupid expensive it is to replace 19" tires, plus I can get tires and rims I want at cost.) they gave me command start also first oil change free. Compared to my old legacy outback, were getting double the fuel economy, I'm quiet pleased.
Dan, I am in the same situation. I want a GT but don't want the 19's. How were you able to handle this?

Dan, I am in the same situation. I want a GT but don't want the 19's. How were you able to handle this?

The eventual cost of replacing the 19's is one of the things that makes me not want a GT. But for everything else, I really want the GT. If Mazda USA started offering the GT with 17's at a small discount (say $500 off) I would be all over that.

The eventual cost of replacing the 19's is one of the things that makes me not want a GT. But for everything else, I really want the GT. If Mazda USA started offering the GT with 17's at a small discount (say $500 off) I would be all over that.

At this point I am torn between what to get. I could get a touring all optioned out to get as close as posible to a GT. Of course I would be missing leather, heated seats and auto climate control. Or should I just get the GT and first try to get the dealer to trade the 19's for 17's and if that doesn't work look for someone online who wants to trade.

The replacement tire cost isn't really that bad. The 19" is about $60 more per tire than the 17". So figure $240 per set. Every car I get I think I am going to keep for ever but I rarely keep it long enough to get to the third set of tires. So $240 over the life of the car isn't too bad.

When I look at the minimal wear on my Toyo 19's in first 9500 miles, it's obvious they will last 50 - 60K miles, so the cost is not an issue due to the long tread life. The 19's give a much better look, somewhat better handling, with no significant difference in ride quality or noise. I wouldn't own a CX-5 with anything smaller than 19's (and I've driven 2 CX-5's, with 17's and 19's) .

I paid MSRP, 30715, for a red GT AWD with tech pkg. I ended up waiting about 7 weeks for it to come in because I wanted a red one. The only red GT on the dealer's manifest was turned into a Touring model....something about not being able to get wheels or tires, not exactly sure. So they ended up swapping a car with another dealer to get what I was looking for. It came through with the remote starter and roof rails which they did not charge me for. I wanted a remote starter almost more than anything since I work nights and we get a ton of snow around here. The rails are great too since I just now need the cross bars and I can put my Thule box on for ski trips.

I also have an '04 CR-V so naturally I test drove a new one before buying the CX-5. Very underwhelming. I was all set just to go get a new CR-V when my son insisted I test drive a Mazda. Fun to drive and all the bells and whistles I was looking for.

Wanted to thank all the people on the forum. You've been a great help in pricing out the car. Here are the numbers I got:

CX-5 Touring AWD (no other options)
75 doc
75 dmv (transfer plates)
10 inspection
12.5 tire tax
+ tax

Last edited:
The replacement tire cost isn't really that bad. The 19" is about $60 more per tire than the 17". So figure $240 per set. Every car I get I think I am going to keep for ever but I rarely keep it long enough to get to the third set of tires. So $240 over the life of the car isn't too bad.
And what about choice of brand, tire model? My guess is it's much more limited on the 19s.

And what about choice of brand, tire model? My guess is it's much more limited on the 19s.

Definetly more choice for the 17s. To be sure and compare apples to apples I just compared prices of the oem tires that come on the car. I am sure if I picked the cheapest 17" and compared it with the most expensive 19" the difference would grow dramatically.

First post here. Just picked up a sky blue CX-5 Touring for $740 under actual MSRP (their "dealership" starting price was an astounding $30,975). The dealer fought with me for every dollar, but I am happy with the end result. Just goes to show that doing your homework really helps out BEFORE going into the dealership.

First post here. Just picked up a sky blue CX-5 Touring for $740 under actual MSRP (their "dealership" starting price was an astounding $30,975). The dealer fought with me for every dollar, but I am happy with the end result. Just goes to show that doing your homework really helps out BEFORE going into the dealership.
Pretty much he same deal I got on a rock stock Sky Blue touring FWD last Thursday. I got invoice, which was $674 under MSRP minus $500 Mazda owner loyalty (wifey is on her second MX-5) and financing through Mazda credit for three years @.9%. I'm happy. Only downside was I had to go 600 miles from home to get the car and the deal!

Purchased CX-5 Touring AWD (MSRP $26,240):
$24,217 sale price (7.7% below MSRP)
$599.50 dealer fee
$21 title fee
$1716.16 Sales tax 7%
$26,553.66 out the door

Purchased CX-5 Touring AWD (MSRP $26,240):
$24,217 sale price (7.7% below MSRP)
$599.50 dealer fee
$21 title fee
$1716.16 Sales tax 7%
$26,553.66 out the door
So they discounted it 7.7% and then marked it back up 2.3%? Wow, that's some creative accounting!

So they discounted it 7.7% and then marked it back up 2.3%? Wow, that's some creative accounting!

Yeah...unfortunately, dealer fees (aka 'document fees") in GA are not regulated/capped the way they are in many other states. I got quotes for the CX-5 from 6 different dealers (all via email) and the standard dealer fee is $600 in the Atlanta area. One dealer dropped the dealer fee to $400, but had a much higher sale price for the vehicle.

I"m in the process of waiting (Sport 6sp if they do exist) and obtaining pricing from dealers in Bay area and few down SoCal.

Few Socal Dealer are selling at MSRP, even internet pricing
Costco/AAA Norcal, all around $200 off MSRP (so is like 400 over invoice)

I have an miata so I get extra $500 royalty.

just FYI

I"m in the process of waiting (Sport 6sp if they do exist) and obtaining pricing from dealers in Bay area and few down SoCal.

Few Socal Dealer are selling at MSRP, even internet pricing
Costco/AAA Norcal, all around $200 off MSRP (so is like 400 over invoice)

I have an miata so I get extra $500 royalty.

just FYI
If you're willing to go to Carlsbad (near San Diego), talk to Paul Galindo at Bob Baker MAzda. He was very straight with me, gave me invoice price (minus $500 Mazda owner loyalty money) as well as .9% Mazda credit financing on $10k balance. He even picked me up at the San Diego airport! PM me if you have any questions.

Back