Adjustable Mazda 2 Struts/Shocks

CorkSport

2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Authorized Vendor
:
All Mazdas!
We have spent some time looking at building adjustable dampening front struts and rear shocks for the Mazda 2. We have now hit the point where we need to decide if you the Mazda 2 customers would want them if we produce them. The struts would be a 10-25 step adjustable dampening gas charged twin tube design and would work with stock and lowering springs. The adjusters would be accessible on the front through the top of the strut and on the rears from the wheel well, not the inside of the hatch.

There is a significant investment we would have to make for the tooling to get this project off the ground which is why I am posting up asking for your thoughts. We would be looking at a price of $399 for the complete set of 4 dampers. It would take us around 6-9 months to have the struts/shocks ready to go once we started them.

How many of you would be willing to put down $50 towards the purchase of these to get it going? This is more of a question and not a request for people to put money down.

We are open to any and all comments on this project so fire away.

-Derrick

I think it's a great idea since I haven't seen any other companies like KYB, Koni or Tokico come out with anything yet. I would be down for a set once my stockers blow, which is going to be awhile since the car doesn't even have 3500 miles yet. The $400 mark is more than fine with me.
My initial question is, why not limit the level of adjustment to 4,5 or 8 levels instead of 10-25. Yea it's great to have that kind of option, but KYBs have 4-8 levels and I think most Tokicos have 5 levels from previous cars that I have owned. If you limited the levels of adjustability down some, wouldn't that save a couple bucks in the whole process?

I think it's a great idea since I haven't seen any other companies like KYB, Koni or Tokico come out with anything yet. I would be down for a set once my stockers blow, which is going to be awhile since the car doesn't even have 3500 miles yet. The $400 mark is more than fine with me.
My initial question is, why not limit the level of adjustment to 4,5 or 8 levels instead of 10-25. Yea it's great to have that kind of option, but KYBs have 4-8 levels and I think most Tokicos have 5 levels from previous cars that I have owned. If you limited the levels of adjustability down some, wouldn't that save a couple bucks in the whole process?

We put it out there for the range of adjustments we can go with. We have not decided on how many steps and how precise people would want the adjustments to be. There is no price difference on the shocks between the 10 steps or the 25 steps.

-Derrick

I was just throwing it out there. Designing suspension components is what I'd like to do but I'm just a BMW tech and replace/diag suspension complaints when they come in. As far as adjustability I wasn't sure if cost were an issue in adjustments. It might make things a little easier for those that play around with the setup if they don't have as many options.

Either way. 2 adjustments or 1000, I'd be in for a set when mine need replacing.

Manufactured by whom/where? What kind of warranty?

I might be interested, but likewise, not right away -- I'm fine with stocks so far. If/when I decide to lower her, then definitely.

I might be interested, but likewise, not right away -- I'm fine with stocks so far. If/when I decide to lower her, then definitely.

Probably the main thing that's been keeping me from buying springs is that I really want dampers to match. I'd be interested to know what the warranty would be as well. It'd be really great if you guys could offer then paired with springs for like $500-550. I had a GTI before this and NGP Racing offered what they called a "cup-kit" for $499... matched dampers and springs. Great alternative to coilovers IMO.

I'd throw down $50.

well by the time you have mentioned "6-9 month" id be willing to get a set but $400 seems cheap for a set, not that im complaining lol, only thing is though what would the price increase be once its shipped to the UK and would be offereing it to your partner shops here in the UK?
Chris

id be in for a Spring/Damper kit... something that would match-up / pair well with each other...

id be in for a Spring/Damper kit... something that would match-up / pair well with each other...

Which is currently sort of available as a "coilover kit" :) Of course it's a bit expensive and has too many adjustments...

well by the time you have mentioned "6-9 month" id be willing to get a set but $400 seems cheap for a set, not that im complaining lol, only thing is though what would the price increase be once its shipped to the UK and would be offereing it to your partner shops here in the UK?
Chris

The kit would be available to any of our re-sellers.

The manufacturer supplies alot of product in Japan, I cannot mention who it is though. We would have a warranty on the parts.

Probably the main thing that's been keeping me from buying springs is that I really want dampers to match. I'd be interested to know what the warranty would be as well. It'd be really great if you guys could offer then paired with springs for like $500-550. I had a GTI before this and NGP Racing offered what they called a "cup-kit" for $499... matched dampers and springs. Great alternative to coilovers IMO.

I'd throw down $50.

We are thinking of doing this exact thing, a strut/shock/spring combo for a decent price.

This is why I haven't bought springs yet. This had me intrigued though. CorkSport hasn't failed me, so I'd trust the warranty and quality of the dampers. I'd be willing to donate to the cause.

We are thinking of doing this exact thing, a strut/shock/spring combo for a decent price.

Good. Typical moderate lowering 1"-1.5"? Certainly worth considering -- I'd hate to mix'n'match myself (springs, shocks, custom wheels, making sure it all fits...)

Good. Typical moderate lowering 1"-1.5"? Certainly worth considering -- I'd hate to mix'n'match myself (springs, shocks, custom wheels, making sure it all fits...)

I would say closer to the 1.5 inch drop. We plan on trying them out with other makes of springs to see how they do.

Which, realistically is still about half the cost of decent coilovers.........you guys should open a Canadian shop. Just saying.

Back