Water leak in my passenger footwell! 2004 Mazda 6!

meso_tech

:
UK Mazda 6 2004 TS2
Ok so I had a look on the web for an answer before posting on a couple of Mazda forums but I have not received any replies to my post and I thought I might get lucky here... Especially as there is an awesome post on what seems to be a similar issue suffered by drivers of the Mazda protege on the forums.

My Mazda 6 Estate (UK and RHD) has sprung a leak, which it seems is quite common. I spotted the passenger side was soaking wet one day from the front to back seat after some heavy rain.
Initially I thought it was the sunroof drain tubes or AC drain pipe but I had the garage check these and I thought all was resolved. However it seems they didn't get to the bottom of it and unbeknownst to me the car was stilI taking on water and the carpets rotting. I spoke to the garage again (non Mazda) and they suggested taking it to a Mazda dealer garage but they estimated it could cost up to 500 to get the bottom of it.

I decided to take matters into my own hands and find the leak, I dismantled some of the interior and ripped out the stinking soaking wet underlay and waited for it to rain. It rained and I made a youtube video of the leak.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I should do (or dismantle) next please?

It looks like it is coming in the near side passenger seam of the firewall. Has anyone else experienced a leak in this location and if so how did you go about resolving the issue please?
Am I looking at dashboard removal and sealing whatever is leaking or the front left fender panel or the wheel and wheel covers?

Any advice will really be greatly appreciated my wife is 39 weeks pregnant and is making noises that she does not want a newborn to go in the car which to be honest I quite understand!

Hi there,

I have just come across the same issue I'm my 2003 Mazda 6. After it rains the carpet in the front passenger floor well and also rear floor well (passengers side) is fairly soaked.

Did you have any luck sorting it out? Was it both the front and rear footwell that's were wet in your case?

Back