Whichl manual transmission fluid is best to use?

speed3_07

:
2007 mazdaspeed 3
my MS3 is almost at 45000 and its about time to change the trans fluid.
i have been looking around the forum but have not found any for sure answers. not sure to use mazda oem fluild or what?
Need help please

ya just wanted to see if there were any other recommended fluids

and thanks for replying back

Last edited:
Use Motorcraft in 08 MS3 with 81K on odometer and this is first winter in Wisconsin that I haven't had the noise and super hard shift into 2nd normally expweianced in WI winters..

I got brutal 1st to 2nd gear hard shift. You can literally hear the grind every morning. Haven't changed the fluid yet, but I will. Canadian winters suck! My car has 58,000KM....so it's time to change the gear fluid.

Motorcraft Synthetic Manual Trans results feedback:

Picked up my car yesterday after having the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS Synthetic put in it.
Right out the parking lot I put it in first and drove around slowly with the radio off.
I made some turns from lock to lock, on and off throttle listening for noise.
The gear noise from the diff seemed more quiet and shifting is about the same but slightly smoother and easier.
All I have is a SURE RMM no other bushing upgrades or mods.

First cold drive this morning. Shifting into second was my only minor gripe previously. It would almost always grind just a little bit when cold.
Now it's better, but not a lot different when stone cold. Happened to me right after leaving my driveway and then never again on the way to work.
It improved almost immediately once there was some heat in the motor so I'd say it was worth the $70 ( plus tax ) for the Motorcraft stuff.

Actually what's more remarkable is the smoother idle after the oil change! I was running Castrol GTX synthetic and only had 3700 miles on it. I put Mobil1 Super Synthetic in it this time as it was less expensive by about $4 for the 5qt jug at Walmart. Idling at lights is surprisingly smoother now. I've never noticed that before.

Further feedback.
Reverse is MUCH quieter. Like amazingly less noise from the diff.
Second gear is now about the same as it was before. If I don't want grind when cold, I need to double clutch for the first few miles.
It's better in less time than before however.

i use redline mt 90 but i only drive warm weather. the motorcraft is assumed the best product. i have changed my fluid once from stock and twice more just to see. and i am clean as a whistle when last changed at about 68k when i replaced axle shaft

Finally bought some Motorcraft. Holy crap is it expensive!

Will change it this weekend at 45k

My local Ford dealer has it for $22 @ quart. The odometer just hit 40K after five years so I'll start saving money now for the next five year interval.
The James Barone Racing short shift kit plate and Sure RMM really made the 1-2 shift like budda' especially above 60' fahrenheit or when warmed up.

Back