2013 Mazda 6 Ford Fusion

boiler47

:
2010 Mazda 6 S GT
This weekend I attended the Houston Auto Show. Ford was introducing the new designed Fusion. I noticed that it looked a lot like what the newly designed Mazda 6 is proposed to be. Does anyone know if Ford and Mazda are sharing designs and other technology or did Ford just happen to come up with this new Fusion design??

Dont forget Ford owns 3.5% of Mazda, and always have owned a good portion, up to 33% at one point. The Mazda6 shares it platform/chassis with the Ford Fuzion, Lincoln MKZ/Zephyr and Mercury Milan. There have always been Ford/Mazda "Cousin cars" since the mid 80s

Ford owns only a few % of Mazda now. I think it used to be 30%. The new Ford Fusion and Mazda 6 are completely different cars now. The Fusion will still use the base 2.5 Duratec which is essentially an 2.5 MZR rebadged. The two other engines from Ford will be the 1.6 ecoboost and 2.0 ecoboost. It shares more parts (and looks) with the European Ford Mondeo than it did with the old Fusion. This new Fusion will now be a "global car" meaning the car won't change much from one country to another.

For the Mazda 6, its an all new frame, motor and transmission. It will share nothing with the Fusion. I haven't heard of the engine choice, but I'm guessing a new 2.5 Skyactiv with 6-speed Manual and Auto and probably a V6 from another company. I heard Volvo is looking for a small partner to share some costs. This would be a nice opportunity for Mazda to get some nice Inline-6 engines in their line-up. The design looks somewhat different IMO, but I can see some similarities.

Back