Locked the keys in the car....

Mine needed to be recut, It could open the door but not start the car. I was getting it cut later this week........ =(

you can get a new key cut by your vin for cheap at a dealership.... thats the way to get in and the new key will work for everything as I had the same prob for copies

Last edited:
I didn't want to spend ten bucks on a blank and ten bucks to have it cut (plus applicable taxes) at the stealership.

I found a good locksmith that found the right blank,.. It's hard to get out of the ignition but it's only for emergencies,... cost me three and a half bucks.

(They didn't roll me for ID,... but the car is 13 years old,... coincidentally, some lady came in while I was waiting, looking to get a copy of her Apt. building key,... he said he wasn't allowed to copy it.)

Last edited:
I didn't want to spend ten bucks on a blank and ten bucks to have it cut (plus applicable taxes) at the stealership.

understandable.... that is a stealership !!! I had one done by Mazda for $10 + tax ($7 for the blank & 3 to cut it) my friend got at GM, he said they charge a $100 to do it.

Anyway I was just pointing out that utting by VIN is a good choice if you are locked out and cant get a spare

understandable.... that is a stealership !!! I had one done by Mazda for $10 + tax ($7 for the blank & 3 to cut it) my friend got at GM, he said they charge a $100 to do it.

Anyway I was just pointing out that utting by VIN is a good choice if you are locked out and cant get a spare

I refuse to believe this is possible without a ton of ID at the dealers.

The reason is that a VIN is not something incredibly secretive... you use it to do a history check of the car! And isn't there a badge with the vin on the dash of our cars thats visible straight through the windshield??

...I had one done by Mazda for $10 + tax ($7 for the blank & 3 to cut it)

My guy had to send it out to be cut,...

Anyway I was just pointing out that cutting by VIN is a good choice if you are locked out and cant get a spare

Good idea,... I didn't know that was possible,... (it's worth trying anyway)

Everybody should have a spare key hidden on their car. (make sure you don't need your key to get it)

I cut the rubber off one of my keys and put it in my wallet then went shopping for a third "emergency" key to hide. I went to at least four hardware stores and three of them cut a key that wouldn't fit the ignition. (worked the doors though,.. as mentioned above)

Only the locksmith knew about the "special" blank that fits our car.

I refuse to believe this is possible without a ton of ID at the dealers.

The reason is that a VIN is not something incredibly secretive... you use it to do a history check of the car! And isn't there a badge with the vin on the dash of our cars that's visible straight through the windshield??

perhaps I can clarify your doubts.... and yes the VIN must be visible on every car by law so it can be run to see if it is stolen

I was in the same boat as the original poster, I was locked out of the car.... no spares anywhere
Mazda made the key no probs, and the car wasn't even in my name with Mazda (previous owner)

All I needed was 1 photo ID (drivers License) & My Registration to prove ownership of said Car and VIN = new factory key and no need to break in or break anything trying in the process !

Last edited:
Back