Locked the keys in the car....

HKPRO5

:
Supercharged Protege5
Hey guys this morning I was taking a nap in my car before work. 10 min till start time I grabbed my stuff, locked the door (from the inside as I always do) and closed the door. Only to realize that the key was still in the ignition. (Car off)

Back story My alarm doesnt work, and the spare key is in the side pocket next to the drivers side...

Anyone have any tips to get the door open?

grab a metal hanger, and get started. lol.

sounds bad. but ive never not been able to get a door open this way. and after working at a grocery store for 4 years when i was younger, i got a TON of practice.

Yea I cant really call until I get off of work, but everyonce an a while Ill go outside with the hangar and try to work it. Any tips for that? lol

get two screw drivers (flat head) and make the window go over the rubbers. once thats done put the screw drivers on each side of the window and pull toward you ( window will not break ive done this a thousand times) and find someone w. a skinny arm to put their hand in and unlock the door

Well, if you happen to have AAA, I think they might send someone out for freeeeeee, not sure though. My girl did that in her car, used her friends dads AAA unlock, first month she had her car too...

Yea I cant really call until I get off of work, but everyonce an a while Ill go outside with the hangar and try to work it. Any tips for that? lol

yeah I told you how to do that. you open the hatch. drop the hanger down to the hatch pull up!

Mine needed to be recut, It could open the door but not start the car. I was getting it cut later this week........ =(

So I called USAA, they hooked me up with a guy that came down to get the door open for me.

The hatch doesn't have a lever to open it next to the driver's seat in the P5, that's only the sedan. If that's what you're suggesting...

Do you by chance still have the buck tag or know the key code?

If you have this, you can get a Mazda dealership to cut you another key but they're going to ask you for a bunch of identification.

Good luck and after this, I bet you never do it again. lol

yeah, I often say that a main advantage of key fobs is you can't lock your keys in the car if you always lock using them- from OUTSIDE the car with the doors all already closed (if the keys are still on the fob LOL) But I must admit that I too often lock up with the driver door switch. But I at least try to mentally remember to verify that the keys are in my hand when I do this.

After this post, I may go back to fob only. Also, I need to paint a white line on the outside top of the driver door lock piece so I can easily see whether it's locked, even thru the tint. I'm always having to peek in to verify, esp with my crummy fob transmit range.

Last edited:
I always carry two different keychain on me with keys to both my car and house key, everyone think im crazy but I never got locked out of anything.... I do always lock from inside because I dont want to wait for the TT, I just set the alarm from a distance.

Back