P0421 Code

dirizarr

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hi guys I have a '02 protege5 and got a CEL which seems to be code P0421. Car idles, drives fine. Only thing I did do recently is put a chevron fuel injector cleaner in it. I just bought the car used and past inspection. Car has 107k miles. Could it just be the O2 or maybe the fuel cleaner clogged on injector and should go to a jiffy lube place and get the complete fuel system cleaning?

A code P0421 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* The catalytic converter is no longer functioning properly
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* A sparkplug is fouled up

Thanks CR3. I have not changed the plugs yet but I already have NGK's ready to install. Since the car runs and idles smooth with no misfires I didn't bother changing them yet. But just might do that this weekend.

Just wondering if anyone would know if the both top cat would be the problem or the top 02 sensor? Rarely the the downstrean one's right?

*BUMP*

I have a 2001 Protege LX (2.0L) and I'm throwing the same code, P0421. It appeared right after an oil change/trans flush. Car still idled smooth and power didn't seem inhibited. I was then driving the next day to reset the ecu after removing a battery terminal, and the car suddenly started to bog hard. Almost total loss of power and a terrible rotten egg/sulfur smell for about 5 min. I pulled over and had it checked out. Multiple misfires, and it after testing the ignition coils, they were the culprit. I have changed them and reset the code, and after about 20 more miles, it has come on again.

Safe to say this is more than likely the cat converter? And if so, does anyone have a resource for changing it yourself?

Thanks guys!

Yes it's the precat. Mazda oem is $400. Do you have smog tests? If not look up the non fouler trick

Had same issue. For me it was the top catalytic converter. Replaced the whole thing with obx headers and did the non fouler trick to trick the o2 sensor that there was a second cat. The obx headers removes the top cat completely.

I went the expensive route just to keep the car stock. I started off with just replacing the top(upstream) O2 sensor but within two weeks the same code back on so bought a cat and so far so good.
I know myself and just sold my 500hp 1993 mustang for personal reasons and I do not want to start the craze of adding power to the car. It will never end for me so I rather leave the car stock just to get around in. LOL

Hello all.

Please help me out! :-(
I love my car!

I have a stock 2002 Mazda Protege5. There's no shortage of P0421 threads on this forum but I've yet to find someone who has actually FIXED the issue once and for all.

I've had a P0421 + CEL for at LEAST 3-4 years. Yep, years...but the gas mileage and general performance of the car has remained stable for all this time, despite the CEL and the P0421. Ultimately, it was a horrible idea not to tend to it right away-- but I didn't expect to keep the car this long.

Thing being, I now have to get it smogged, the CEL is getting in the way of doing so. I have a gut feeling that it would pass but you can't smog with a CEL.

Aside from some pinging at 2000RPMs and a bit of struggle on VERY steep hills (pedal all the way down and car has difficulties going up, especially if it's also hot out), the car runs great and idles quite nicely (even from a cold start). It has 255K miles on it and runs very well considering. (Sidebar: I'd love to resolve the pinging noise; tried higher octane already. No additives yet and probably won't go there.)

I just ordered the OEM precat and before I install it, I want to be sure that I've covered all my bases and won't ruin the new precat. I've also heard horror stories about people replacing the precat, O2 sensors, EGRs, etc.--and the CEL and P0421 issues persist. I simply can't afford to have that happen...not financially or otherwise.

Here's what I've completed thus far:
- Spark Plugs / 9-Jun-2012
- Wires / 9-Jun-2012
- Fuel System Cleaning (mechanic cleaned all lines, no additives) / 9-Jun-2012
- Coils (2) / 17-Sep-2012
- O2 Sensor, Downstream only / 19-Sep-2012
- PCV Valve / 22-Sep-2012
- Battery Checked, 12.9V = OKAY / 22-Sep-2012
- MAF cleaning (only) / 24-Sep-2012

I've reset/deleted the codes every time I've done a job and the CEL comes back on after some amount of driving (all monitors cleared). Here's a curveball, after resetting, I do get P0300 and P0660 as well but they eventually subside (intermittent, I suppose?). I haven't checked for these codes recently and they MAY have been resolved by the new coils.

I wanted to check and clean the EGR but it's way beyond my abilities. I'm not trained and most of what I've done thus far has been very easy and I've relied on the suggestions of others and knowledge I've gained from this forum.

I paid a pretty penny for the precat and I'm happy to make the investment on other parts, too-- especially if that means I can get more life out of the car and pass CA smog.

What else would compromise the (new) precat? If the EGR was "bad", wouldn't I be getting EGR specific codes?

Has anyone fully resolved this code/associated issues? Again, passing smog is my immediate goal but if I can prolong the life of this great car by doing some other repairs, I'll do it...

Thanks everyone.
NM

Last edited:
P0660 is for Vic's solnoid it isn't emission related and won't throw a cel

You don't have to replace the precat, you can use a non fouler to trick the ecu and the cel will go off, it's worked for me for 2 years. People have deleted the precat and had just the main cat and passed emissions but idk if they were in cali or not though

i had that code as well i changed the manifold cat on it and both up and downstream o2 sensors and no more code and my car just passed emission, now the manifold cat aint cheap i spent 350+ tax and my o2's were 265 for both so its gonna cost you but in the end it helps

Back