Has anyone used the OEM backup camera with an aftermarket Head Unit?

mightymavkev

:
2012 CX-9 Touring
Looking to install my Kenwood double din unit with nav and it takes a rear camera input. Has anyone used the OEM camera on the back of the CX-9 and adapted it somehow to connect to an aftermarket head unit for backup camera support? I have a camera that I can install but I really don't want to run all those wires if I don't need to since there is already a camera back there.

Thanks.

I am interested in the same thing. I just logged in to post almost the exact same question.

Also looking for compatibility info on steering wheel controls and the existing bluetooth mic + controls. I know that the Bose amplifiers in my Nissan had some issues with aftermarket head units, so that is another concern.

The factory nav in the 08 GT is terrible. The Bose stereo is decent and actually one of the better sounding Bose units I have owned. The lack of Ipod integration (or even an Ipod option on the 08) + plus the archaic nav system are the only negatives I have found with my car. I fear we may be stuck with them due to all of the other options that tie in to the factory head unit.

I'm replacing my 2012 bose head unit with my Kenwood DNX-7160 this weekend and posting progress in my other thread.

I'll post there the results.

I've already confirmed that the universal steering wheel control from AXXESS / Metra will not allow the OEM phone answer and hangup and voice command controls to work. This is because they are handled with separate control units from the OEM Head Unit. Once the Head Unit is removed, the steering wheel controls will still talk to the OEM control unit for the bluetooth but that unit will no longer be operational since the OEM head unit will be replaced. I'm OK with that in my case because the Bluetooth phone support in the Kenwood is actually pretty good.

Any update on this? I am curious to see how the install went. Did you lose any functionality at all? Any unforeseen problems?

Sorry. I've been keeping the "journal" of this install mainly in this thread.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Unit-Any-difference-between-the-2011-and-2012

I decided to use my camera. it's better quality anyway and I already had it. I haven't been able to find the reverse indicator wire however so I can have it automatically turn on when putting the car in reverse. But I can turn it on manually and it works great. I have pics out there on that thread of the camera install.

i have the pioneer avic and my installer had to use a diffrt camera he cannot pin out the oem camera

Back