Squeaks and Rattles

dsgrey

:
Mazda 2 Sport 5-Speed (2011), Miata 5-Speed (2002)
I'd like to start a new thread to determine if the M2 has some common squeaks. Let's face it, the M2 is not a huge SUV with large tires that absorb some of the hidden squeaks and rattles. Going to the dealership is a pain for such a trivial item plus they only half heartedly search for these gremlins. Basic troubleshooting is to empty the console, door pockets and glovebox to ensure your junk isn't the cause. Mine so far at just over 10k miles:

1) Buzz in the dash when driving over 60mph on "some" asphalt highways so it's a vibration buzz. Comes and goes. I haven't found it yet but I also haven't looked too hard.

2) Rattle in the rear cabin which started today when driving over bumps, thus the thread. I found the black plastic interior cover for the high-mount tail light is the culprit. Beating with my fist to find it also has temporarily resolved. I suspect the plastic clips need something soft to prevent. I.E. a piece of tape.

something @ my seatbelt do-er up-er is squeaking... only started happening after stereo install guy removed the seats and put em back... so i may have to take em out and check what he messed up!

ps driver side window, rattles a bit when its open like half an inch!

Im having rattles from front passenger speaker/ glovebox area. It comes and goes, but its getting worse as its starting to get cold where i live. Rear driver side speaker rattles when a bass heavy song is played. The Hatch lid area was rattling from the plastic piece above the LED brake light, duct taped it a bit and its gone for now. Rear shocks are squeaking, Mazda says its a bushing, its been in twice now for it to be "fixed".

I've got all these mentioned squeaks/rattles except the brake one. The most annoying to me is the seatbelt/A-pillar-where-it-meets-the-roof squeak RIGHT by my head. My solution? Turn the music up. Then the speaker rattles LOL. I've had the rear shock squeak since 5k miles, and now have 20k. I've learned to live with it.

Permanent solution? Add a loud muffler. Seriously haha. I'm back to stock for the winter and I hear everrrything, which is annoying.

Anti-solution? Stiffer rear motor mount. That makes a lot of noise, more than I expected for sure. And vibration through the whole car at 2,500rpm no matter what gear.

Oh well!

I attempted to find the driver's side dash buzz which happens on certain surfaces at highway speed. Feeling under the steering column, it's easy to tell it's related to the road vibration and possibly something near the steering column. Inserting my 5'10" frame upside down into the floorboard makes one realize this is a compact with little room to move your arms and not many places to insert them into the dash from underneath. Beating around, I found the brake switch rattles a bit (strapped) and a slight buzz around the fuse box/left vent (packed). Ironically, neither solved the issue and it seems the buzz is behind the gauges. Arrrgh.

I was waxing the car last night and while doing the rear bumper it made some noise as I rubbed the wax in....

Ive got a rattle in the pass side door. Seems like its coming from where the door meets the window. (Placing pressure on that area makes it stop). I also have a squeak that appears to come from the pass seatbelt bolt...

Occasionally, I will get a rattle that comes from the drivers side sun visor, but its easily fixed with a little movement.

OK... this seatbelt thing is really startin to get to me... anyone figured out how to make it GO AWAY!!!

I probably look like a madman driving down the road sometimes. I've started punching the pillar by my head where the seatbelt is attached.
It seems to help.

There is another rattle by the glovebox or passenger door. I punch stuff over there too, but I haven't hit the right spot yet.

Then there is a rattle within the dash I think somewhere behind the radio area.
Pretty annoying.

The only rattle/squeak I have had is when you put some weight on the DS door panel. I was going to take it in to the dealer at some point and have them address it. With the mods we have done to our shop 2, lowering springs, tires, etc we have not had any new sounds come up.

-Derrick

Bought mine new last week - had 64 km on it. Both front shocks creak VERY loud when going over speedbumps. Seems worse in the cold (-18oC today), and am a little concerned it will get worse when real winter hits. Anyone else have this trouble in cold climates? I'll end up taking to the dealership if it doesn't clear up over the next few weeks...

Bought mine new last week - had 64 km on it. Both front shocks creak VERY loud when going over speedbumps. Seems worse in the cold (-18oC today), and am a little concerned it will get worse when real winter hits. Anyone else have this trouble in cold climates? I'll end up taking to the dealership if it doesn't clear up over the next few weeks...

I'm not sure about the fronts, but there is definitely a TSB out for squeaky rear shocks. Apparently they forgot to lube something from the factory... if it's anything like the rear, it will get worse the colder it gets.

I live in Winnipeg, and the squeaking got so bad on my rear shocks that Mazda had to replace them. When i purchased my car in July, there were no squeaks, so it seems to come from cold weather.

My glove box rattles, if I put a little pressure on it, it quiets down, or if I open it. I think it's just plastic on plastic rubbing, so I am going to get some thin felt tape and see if that fixes or quiets it down.

Got the same problem with my glove box, it rattles every time the car moves, but as brassclef says a little pressure does the trick. In a more temporary solution I placed a tissue folded several times between the door and the glove box's dash. I'm thinking on getting a piece of rubber with a two sided tape to paste it in between. Any one else with this problem?

Back