Can you sleep in the back of the 5?

I'm too lazy to go back to the dealership and measure. Could someone fold down the middle and back seats flat and pull up the front seats as far forward as they go and measure the length from the back of the front seats to the rear hatch and the width at the narrowest point? Basically, is it feasible to fold the seats down and put an air mattress and sleep back there? I know there is a gap between the middle seats so I guess the feet would go down there an the pillows to the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks. Oh, and I'm interested in the measurements for a 2012 mainly but if someone has an older model, that would be interesting to know as well.

you could fit if you guys curl and spoon hahahaha

I had thought about that but it seems the back of the third seat would be dented by my weight of 220lbs if I slept on it.

I've taken naps in my 5 and Im 6' tall, not good for camping as I had to lay at an angle. My 5 has been perfect for "Power Naps" during lunch on my 12-16 hour workdays.

Late but I measured again. It's about 66" from the rear door to the seat cushion bottom when flipped forward. If you slide the front seat forward you get another 8-10", but it's not usable because the second-row seat bottoms don't move forward.

I just bought the car and tried it. I can easily fit and lay down with the seats down and the front seats all the way forward and I'm 5'11". There is a BIG gap between the back flat area and the middle row though that if i wanted to sleep back there camping I would have to put a bag or something to support the air mattress. I'm pretty sure I could easily fit a twin air mattress back there. I'll post some pictures if I get around to trying it.

Last edited:
Back