Plastidip your M2 emblems!

Redkills

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport.
So here's what you need.
Plastidip which you can get at a hardware store or most auto shops.
Newspapers or whatever to cover things with.
Painter's tape. like that blue ones.
and about an hour's time.
which comes out to be about 11 dollars in USA.
Here's the Plastidip. MAKE SURE YOU SHAKE THE DAMN THING LIKE NO ONE'S BUSINESS.
WP_000392.jpg

Here's all my emblems as well as side blinker chrome all taped up and ready to go.

Photo_E459D026-92E2-0F66-2DA8-D5A93CE6BEB6.jpg

WP_000390.jpg

WP_000389.jpg

Spray one even layer till it all looks wet. Wait between 10-20 mins. depending on weather and conditions.
Photo_B33418CD-4596-3E05-F130-A0AA38CDAC4F.jpg

same with Second coat.
WP_000393.jpg

and...last coat.
Photo_3AD6A477-8888-6EBD-B1D8-C61A1E51CEC6.jpg

Some people do four coats but I think that's too much.
so now we wait for it to dry to a TACKY SURFACE then we just peel it off slowly.
in between the letters and emblems just use a toothpick or a razor, be careful not to damage the paint. The plastidip should peel like butter. Like so....
Photo_C9732399-B310-4BF0-16FE-8B3D2B1C6074.jpg

Tada sweet blacked out emblems. Let it dry for about 4 hours before hitting rough weather. sorry for bad pictures. it's dark and a cell phone. haha.

Photo_F09A5E98-F70C-707D-1E5B-00825EC9B0F2.jpg

This is something everyone can do if you like, very easy and if you think you messed up, NO PROBLEM! let the plastidip dry then peel it off and start over! It's pretty much mistake proof.

Thanks for reading and I hope y'all post pics of your plastidips!

Cool! Will try. How long do you reckon the coating will last? Am I going to have to reapply every couple months, or is it fairly sturdy?

any pictures of the rear emblems done? I feel like the front emblem would be easy but the ones on the hatch would be very difficult. or did you not do those?

when i dipped mine i just sprayed them on the car as is then went in with a toothpick to pick out the counters....errr letter holes.

when i dipped mine i just sprayed them on the car as is then went in with a toothpick to pick out the counters....errr letter holes.

ahhh ok that good. thanks for the tip. So it sticks to the plastic letters and not the metal and paint? hence the term plasti-dip? lol

ahhh ok that good. thanks for the tip. So it sticks to the plastic letters and not the metal and paint? hence the term plasti-dip? lol
technically it doesnt stick to anything per say. yes itll stick but you can always peel it off =]

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

you can plasti dip a whole car lol and my wrap shop may eventually offer this as an alternative if i can talk to my boss about it lol cheaper than vinyl and can be stronger.

technically it doesnt stick to anything per say. yes itll stick but you can always peel it off =]

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

you can plasti dip a whole car lol and my wrap shop may eventually offer this as an alternative if i can talk to my boss about it lol cheaper than vinyl and can be stronger.

your paint has to be in really good condition for it to all peel off. I knew a guy that covered his car and then when he went to peel it off most of it wouldn't peel off. He ended up having to get the car re-painted.

I won't even use plasti dip for tools. But if your looking for a non permanent easily removable coating its ok.

just did my msm emblems, came out great! easy to apply and remove the areas between the leters and emblems. check out the avatar

Here are the rears, but first a few notes from my experience.

--Def use newspaper like Redkills did. I tried to just use tape and ended up with more cleanup within a foot of the badges than I wanted to.
--In between coats, use a toothpick and make sure the nozzle is clear on the spray can. On my second coat I went right for gusto and paid the price.
--I would go with 4 coats...could just be my climate right now in Seattle, but I think an extra coat would have helped with the pull off from the surrounding areas.

Def worth to take the time and do this, easy, cheap, and improves looks for sure!

Minnow2_2.JPG

Here are the rears, but first a few notes from my experience.

--Def use newspaper like Redkills did. I tried to just use tape and ended up with more cleanup within a foot of the badges than I wanted to.
--In between coats, use a toothpick and make sure the nozzle is clear on the spray can. On my second coat I went right for gusto and paid the price.
--I would go with 4 coats...could just be my climate right now in Seattle, but I think an extra coat would have helped with the pull off from the surrounding areas.

Def worth to take the time and do this, easy, cheap, and improves looks for sure!

Minnow2_2.JPG

Looks great :)

Back