Rear View Camera

Well one seems to clip on and the other mounts with screws? I really like the idea. Have you looked into displays? Actually, I wonder if I can hook this up to our navi unit somehow.

I like the looks of the first one, it says in the illustration to remove reverse light, above that it says it installs in the license plate light. I ordered an item off Ebay from Hong Kong and had a problem with it, a $5.00 item was going to cost me over $25.00 to return it so I'm reluctant to order anything from there again.

Last edited:
Well one seems to clip on and the other mounts with screws? I really like the idea. Have you looked into displays? Actually, I wonder if I can hook this up to our navi unit somehow.
I like the one that screws on too since it also has a little clear lens to retain some license place light -I think. There has to be a way to use the OEM navi screen as a standard video screen. Have you checked Mz3 owners?

Regarding screen, I have some ideas but not sure how I want to approach it just yet. As much as I would love to replace the OEM radio for a 7" touch screen (+ future carputer) and remote mount the head unit (using steering wheel control for primary functions), it does not make financial sense at the moment. I'm looking of a quick and dirty solution so I'm thinking of using a 4.3" LCD (see ebay) and either mount it right ontop/center of the OEM radio (need custom housing to make it seem somewhat integrated) where the cassette would be else it would be a thief magnet. This area is just a large waste of space! The other option is to mount the screen overhead, near the rear view mirror with a flip hinge so it is less visible to thief. Bottom line, I'm not sure I plan on keeping this car as long term as I initially thought. I am really temped to do it right with the carputer setup and use USB cams (4) for an around the car view.

@ hurschel - this is why I am soliciting some feedback to see if someone here might be using one of these :D. I am very tempted to jump on the camera though...

I am really digging the 2nd camera b/c the lens is angled downwards (the first one seems to point straight out), and it looks like a direct light replacement. The other one seem to require you to ‘make’ it fit.

The camera seems to be offered in a few flavors. I’m no video buff but I believe NTSC is a must for US and CCD, though better, CMOS is fine for the occasional backup use on a tiny screen?.
1) CMOS in NTSC format $35
2) CCD in PAL format $70
3) CCD in NTSC format $70

Those are awesome little cameras. I wish they'd had those when I was trying to convince my father to get a rear view setup for his 5........ or that they made one for the 3. :(

For displays you could also consider installing one of the several gentex auto-dim rear view mirrors that has a LCD built into the glass. When the LCD is off it just looks like mirror (though you can see a little outline of the display). When the LCD is on you only see display. Alternately there are some replacement visors which have LCDs built into them. I know eonon.com has one. That said I don't know what the size of it is compared to the regular visor, and if the screen has a remote activation wire (i.e. would only turn on when the car's in reverse).

Those are awesome little cameras. I wish they'd had those when I was trying to convince my father to get a rear view setup for his 5........ or that they made one for the 3. :(

For displays you could also consider installing one of the several gentex auto-dim rear view mirrors that has a LCD built into the glass. When the LCD is off it just looks like mirror (though you can see a little outline of the display). When the LCD is on you only see display. Alternately there are some replacement visors which have LCDs built into them. I know eonon.com has one. That said I don't know what the size of it is compared to the regular visor, and if the screen has a remote activation wire (i.e. would only turn on when the car's in reverse).

That would be cool to see the screen on the back of the visor AND get rid of those pathetic plastic flaps they call visors on these cars. It's funny how the 5's visors are so pitiful that I actually pay a lot of attention to the quality of them on other cars now. My Civic has really nice visors. Only plastic where you grab them, which I like because I have a tendency to make nice, clean fabric look awful. That's why I like leather.

I am more than happy with my Gentex mirror and Sony camera from visor view. There have been zero issues with any of the components including fogging. You get what you pay for......

Back