DVD Headrests

kshatzka

:
2011 Mazda CX9 GT
All -

I just got the new 2011 CX9 GT (replaced a 2008 CX9 GT), and looking once again at aftermarket DVD headrests. I had the ones from China - and replaced them 2 times in a 19 month window. I also had a recurring problem on all of them that the length of the ribbon connecting the lens was too long and kept scratching my DVD. Finally, the biggest problem I had was that the headrests were unuseable as actual headrests - they were angled improperly and not thick like the normal CX9 ones.

So, I've re-researched the options out there (I won't say "price is no object", but I don't mind spending up to around $1000-$1200 given it is a brand new car that I will keep for some time), and I have come up with the following choices:

1) Power Acoustik
2) Audiovox
3) Vizualogic
4) Rosen
5) Myron and David

Can someone give feedback if any of these have been installed in CX9, and the comfort level of putting your head back against them?

Thanks

We just bought a 2011 CX-9 and went through the same thing...
Our plans were to buy headrest dvd systems, but the more we looked around
and more people we talked to we ended up deciding to go with a dual dvd player setup.
They come with the straps that attach them to the back of the factory headrest (around the rails). It comes with a power adaptor that plugs into the cigarette lighter, but im planning on buying additional adaptors and just hardwiring them to the fuse box...that way we dont have to use our power plug or look at the wires. If we removed them, there will just be a short power wire on the back of each seat. I can then use the other power adaptor for my other vehicle.

Reason for going with these instead of the headrest was versatility. We have more than one vehicle and this will allow us to quickly switch or split them up. When going on vacations or trips, they can take them into the hotel or condo and watch them with the a/c adaptor that is provided...just think we'll get more use out of them.

Screen size also...most of the headrest we found were 7" screens. We had a 9" screen in our previous vehicle -Odyssey- and wanted to keep the same size. Going with a seperate allowed us to get a 9" screen.

cx9dvd.jpg

Philips PD9016/37 9-inch Portable LCD Dual DVD player $175
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

With them only costing $175, its not a total waste if they dont work out. Worth a try.
If we dont find that they work for us, the kids can still use them and we'll just go ahead and pay the $1200 for headrest systems...

Just used them yesterday for the first time and so far very happy with them. They can watch there own dvd or there is a jumper cable that will allow them to share one dvd with the other screen. Our kids are 8 & 10 so they are old enough to use wired headphones and so this works great for us. They can just tuck the headphones and wire into the seatback when not using.

Safety was another factor...although the more expensive ones are good im sure. I checked consumer reports for reviews but did not find any, when i questioned them why they did not review them, they said it was a safety decision. they did not approve of replacing the factory headrest with aftermarkets. one they are not tested for safety as the factory are, and they are much heavier.... Not sure it was part of our decision..but interesting view.

I guess it depends on the age of your kids, and if you plan on using them on more than one vehicle... Good luck!

Last edited:
We went with an iPad. It is more expensive than the cheaper DVD headrests but two of them are less than the higher end systems plus we use them around the house. They can hold a bunch of movies and have 10 hour batteries so no charging is necessary.

-Mike

how did you install the ipad, can you please post pics i did the onfair dvd since i need speakers with the player, isnt the ipad's volume too low?

Attachments

• DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,777
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,319
how did you install the ipad, can you please post pics i did the onfair dvd since i need speakers with the player, isnt the ipad's volume too low?

mainard1,

That's a really clean install. Which unit is this? Is it the 9 inch version? And how hard was the install especially running the wiring behind the leather seat backs?

2011 CX-9. 9" Power Acoustik HDVD-93BK's. I also installed a switched 12 volt accessory outlet. Easy install one power wire ran from the fuse block. Seats have zippers for easy access all wires are hidden and out of site. The headrests can share video between them or act as a stand alone player. They do require dual channel headphones. Photos taken from my cell sorry for the quality.

Attachments

• Power Acoustik HDVD-93.jpg
    Power Acoustik HDVD-93.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 438
  • Power Acoustik HDVD-93 2.jpg
    Power Acoustik HDVD-93 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 352
  • 12 volt accessory plug.jpg
    12 volt accessory plug.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 302
I would have thought the 9"s would have over flowed on the top of the seats where they poke up. looks good sorta. anyway you can get a cleaner shot of those?

New pictures added.

Attachments

• Power Acoustik 2.JPG
    Power Acoustik 2.JPG
    469.1 KB · Views: 425
  • PowerAcoustik.JPG
    PowerAcoustik.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 415
Back