Tips for removing turbo assembly without breaking everything

PointFive

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
So, it looks like I'll be removing my turbo assembly tonight. Does anybody have any tips for doing this the right way? Also, I remember reading somewhere that if I were to remove the downpipe from the turbo, I'd have to replace the studs. Is that accurate?

This is how I have done it everytime. (i think 4 total on mine and a few on some of my friends)

Drain all coolant.
Remove intake
Hot pipe
Cold pipe
Disconnect fan wires
Remove coolant lines from hoses
Unbolt oil line from turbo
Unbolt J pipe
Unplug 02 sensor
Unbolt exhaust mani bolts
Pull turbo, exhaust mani, and s pipe at the same time

You can replace the studs for good measure, I didn't last time I replaced the turbo and i'm having no issues. I would recommend going bolts w/allen head if you decide to remove the studs.

I had the assembly most of the way off the other day when I replaced the exhaust manifold gasket, but I didn't remove the oil or coolant lines. Is coolant going to start pouring out of that line when I take it off?

ive always drained the radiator and and pulled it too. doesnt need to be done. just made my life easier

It needs to be done if you have an upgraded radiator and a 3in dp youll definitely have to pull it

If the radiator is oem, then the most you have to do is remove the fans if you want extra room.

Back