Rear Tailgate won't close

ibecowtippin

:
2010 CX-9
Good? morning all,

Just came across a small problem with the automatic tailgate on my CX-9. Searched the forums, but didn't see any real fixes for it.

Went out this morning and it opened up fine. When to close it and it got 3/4 of the way down and stopped. So I manually lifted it up, no problem. So I thought one of the hydraulic tubes may have had an issue, so I took them off, the tailgate will wouldn't close. So ended up taking the ball joint connection off the trunk between the tailgate and motor, then was able to close the tailgate all the way. So it seems the tailgate motor isn't allowing the tailgate to fully close.

Tried it with the vehicle started, still no dice. So can't figure out why the motor after a year of buying it, is now having this issue. Just glad I was able to get the tailgate closed by removing the connection between the rod and the tailgate and push the rod down enough for it to close. Will be making an appointment this week.

Checked the owners manual and didn't see anything about resetting the motor or the like. Yes, it is parked on a level surface, and nothing in the way of the sensors. After disconnecting the closing rod from the tailgate, I hit the tailgate open button the remote a few times. It will open up, but only "close" 3/4 of the way before I get some error beeps and it reverses itself (again, not attached to the tailgate), so I know the tailgate is not causing the motor problem.

Any one else have this issue or have a solution?

Thanks!

I have the same issue with my 2012 CX-9 GT, I give up with Mazda and just shove the tailgate closed.

I have heard people replacing the motor to fix a similar problem.
If your CX9 is still under warranty, press your dealer to fix it.
The repair might cost you more than $300.

P.S. the gate can be interrupted by
1) torque of resistance (in your case, the motor encounters unknown resistance and stops)
2) pressure on side pressure strips

There have been a couple of folks on here with the same problem and they discovered that the problem was insulation that had come loose near the motor shaft behind the trim panel and was binding the motor, the fix was to secure the insulation inside there better. Try that first.

Did the hatch just stop or it bounce up?
Is there any beeps when it stops or reverses?
If nothing is obstructing the motor (as helbigtw said), then it might be that the motor went bad,
which has happened to a few owners here.

Insulation was the problem

The insulation from the rear panel under the left 3rd row seat belt mount area pulled into the screw drive of the motor on my 2010 cx-9. Easy fix,

Back