Pinging on mazda protege5

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
Hey guys so I have one question for you all..
I have recently been having a problem with pinging on my mazda protege5 2003, 145,xxx miles, and decided to do a seafoam treatment. I did a two can use with one in the gas tank and half of the other into the brake booster. It smoked a little. The pinging problem mostly went away and now it returned again. But anyways the pinging usually happens under load usually when in 2nd-4th gear and accelerating. Ive been trying so hard to get this problem resolved but still dont know what the issue is. usually pinging is alot louder when the temp outside is hot. I really think it might be spark plug issue and just need to change them out, but wanted to hear some prof. opinions and I really dont think its my cat, egr valve, or any wires. Please let me know cause ive been dieing to fix this and dont need to spend much money since im going to school. THANKS ALOT!!

have you tried bumping the gas level? if 87 pings, does 89? if 89 pings, does 91+? if fuel 'premium' level doesnt change it, then something else is seriously wrong, and you will need to have a mechanic check it out.

Yah i've been putting in 89 octane and it usually takes it completely away but when I put 87 in her then it def gets alot worse. I mean i still would rather figure out the problem and fix it if its an easy fix, I mean plus its required gas is 87. And yah cheeseHelmet i actually just ordered some new sparkplugs and there on there way, I read the Copper NGK V-power ones are legit, is that a good choice? Also when I seafoamed the car and was trying to start it after hydrolocking I realized sparks when cranking the car right where the spark plug wires connect to the coil. So im going to buy some wires as well but do you think just changing the wires and plugs will do?
Thanks alot guys for the help cause its been killing me everyday I drive it, cause I love her. hahha.

Wires and plugs are definitely a good idea. NGK plugs is what Mazda recommends, I have the NGK wires too, they're just like OEM ones. You might also want to replace the coilpacks too, especially if they're the original ones.

Regarding using Seafoam, when you're pouring it into the engine you shouldn't pour it so fast that it stalls right away. You have to keep the throttle open and slowly pour it in, the engine will run like s*** but won't stall until you close the throttle. Also, you're not hydrolocking the engine, you're simply making the mixture so rich that it can't possibly combust. That being said, I'm not a believer in Seafoam, if you use good gas you shouldn't need to be using additives like Seafoam to clean out your engine.

Alright sounds good I'll definetly get some wires with it too then and see how it goes from there. I was wondering what is the right spark plug gap for the car (Mazda Protege 5 2003). I read anywhere from 0.34 in to 0.40 is stock size. And I got the the Copper NGK V-Power ones which are pregapped at 0.44 in are those a good idea? Should I get them checked and regapped to 0.40 or should I keep them like that. I also heard that the bigger the gap then the better the idle which ive had a few problems with. Also was wondering if that was a good spark plug decision with the v-powers or not?
Thanks again,

Sorry for all the question, ha

If it stops pinging with 89 then using a higher octane gas would be your easy solution 87 is the lowest octane you can put in it not the required rating you could put 112 octane in it if you want. Btw when was the last time you changed the oil?I'm asking because my mom put 17k miles on her car and it started pinging. I would say change your plugs and go from there especially since your having a rough idle a spark plug could have a weak spark which would explain the higher octane helping it

Alright sounds good I'll definetly get some wires with it too then and see how it goes from there. I was wondering what is the right spark plug gap for the car (Mazda Protege 5 2003). I read anywhere from 0.34 in to 0.40 is stock size. And I got the the Copper NGK V-Power ones which are pregapped at 0.44 in are those a good idea? Should I get them checked and regapped to 0.40 or should I keep them like that. I also heard that the bigger the gap then the better the idle which ive had a few problems with. Also was wondering if that was a good spark plug decision with the v-powers or not?
Thanks again,

Sorry for all the question, ha

The plugs should come pre-gapped, you needn't gap them yourself. The service manual says that the gap should be 1.0mm to 1.1mm (or 0.040 to 0.043 inches).

Mazda recommends two NGK part numbers, BKR5E-11 and BKR6E-11. What you ordered should have a similar part number (BKRxE-11). BKR5E-11 is the normal plug, but you might want to try BKR6E-11 since it's one step colder.

Sounds good yah I checked my plugs and its pregapped to 0.044 in and the part number is the BKR5E-11 ones so I think I should be alright. I also just got the NGK wires so I'll def change them this weekend. But yah Tweety I def changed the oil and its been maintained very well, so I know thats not the problem. Im just not sure that just changing these plugs and wires will fix the pinging which is what im worried about. But I guess I'll find out soon and let you know what happens.

Here is my take in addition to above posts:

- Could be lots of carbon build up. If you rev up the engine to redline momentarily, does a lot of black smoke come out? [Excess carbon build up will create more compression, and would cause pre-detonation]
- Are you using good quality gas? http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
- After changing the plugs, see if there is something out of the ordinary with the old plugs (pre-det. excess carbon etc.)
- While using higher octane a good run on the highway might help to burn off the carbon, if this is the case.

so I changed all four spark plugs and spark plug wires and the problem is still there. I have no idea what other problem it could be? Usually just rattles in second or third but thats it and when under load. I also cleaned the MAF recently so i doubt thats it. I read that it could possibly be a tie rod, or the heat shield but im not sure. Anymore suggestions?

Its also not carbon build up because I just recently seafoamed the car, but the problem does go away when I use a higher octane fuel....

my car has pinged since day one.
I've tried everything...plugs, different gaps, egr, wires, coils, etc...I always use premium fuel as well. I find seafoam in the gas tank helps a bit. But I have just come to live with it. Bought the car with 4 miles, now has 120xxx. Has pinged the entire time. lol

yah man i think ive decided to give up on this thing. I mean the spark plugs, wires, and seafoam def helped out the car in mpg, performance, and did take the sound away a lot, but im guessing this is something im going to have to accept Im just worried it doesnt break something bad you know. But i guess im just going to have to use some higher octane fuel and live with it ha. Hopefully it'll last me.

Do you still have the original intake hose (accordion hose from the air cleaner to the throttle body)? If so it could have some hairline cracks in it causing lean condition and pinging. Replaced mine and haven't heard any pinging since.

See if you can dig up another MAF to try on it. I dealt with the same issues on 2 other cars and it all came down to a bad MAF. Both never threw MAF codes, one of the cars melted all the pistons...

+1 for checking the intake tube from the MAF to the throttle body. My car had random ping issues and it turned out to be a huge tear in the intake pipe.
intaketube.jpg

Back