Hat1018's build thread

hat1018

:
2003 Protege5, 2006 Mazda3, 2015 CX5
Ok, so here we go. To get everyone up to speed, I bought my 06 Mazda3 in Feb. 2010. I had the mod bug before we got her home. I had all sorts of things in mind (you don't want to know so don't ask). After driving her daily for just over a year. I decided that I really wanted my car to turn better. So I bought a set of Enkie RS7 wheels 17x7 with Dunlop star spec tires 215/40/17. Those were a big change from the stockers, quicker take off since the wheels are lighter, and more grip from the tires. Now I have bought Speed3 front and rear sway bars and Speed3 coil springs. Both of which are stiffer and should give me the up-grade that I am looking for.

I took the first step today in installing the sway bars. I called a machinist buddy of mine to have him make some bushings for the stock 3 end links (10 mm stud) to fit the Speed3 sway bars (12mm hole). Pics to follow.

speed 3 springs will raise your front end a little bit from what I hear since they are made for a heavier motor, but will be much stiffer and still an improvement

I pulled my body side moldings off this morning. Left a bunch of 2 side tape crap on the car FML.
I also had to replace my rear shocks over the weekend, not fun. Needed a deep well 12mm socket in a bad way! I made due and got them in. I should be installing rear sway bar and rear springs this weekend. I plan to have a shop do the front bar and springs (struts) plus an alignment, obviously.

Even after the tape is removed the invisible residue remains and is a byotch to get clean even with goo gone and rubbing compound...if the actual 2x tape is still stuck to the door, a heat gun\sunny hot day and your thumb which will surely be rubbed raw is in order. You can use a few chemicals but I wouldnt trust it on paint personally, and a blistered thumb is the price I have paid in the past.

I used goo be gone and a terry cloth. some vigourous scrubbing and voila no more tape. i washed with soapy water right afterwards rinsed dried and then waxed and it didn't harm my paint at all.

I pulled my body side moldings off this morning. Left a bunch of 2 side tape crap on the car FML.
I also had to replace my rear shocks over the weekend, not fun. Needed a deep well 12mm socket in a bad way! I made due and got them in. I should be installing rear sway bar and rear springs this weekend. I plan to have a shop do the front bar and springs (struts) plus an alignment, obviously.

Larry we have a product that is better then the goo gone, if you are coming out to the ledges this weekend to watch the boys run, I will bring it out for you to use. It removes road tar, bugs, and more does not harm the paint at all. We even use it on the wheels to remove stuff.

Thanks Marlon but it looks as though we are not going to be out there this weekend. Going to be pretty busy all weekend. I will figure something out.

i heard plastex works but i went with option 2(hot air and my fingers) much rather hurt myself then my car

Im about to take off my side moldings this weekend.. ive heard goo be gone and fish line works the best... judging from some of the comments here it seems like a real pain to get this left over tape off... now wondering if it is even worth it and is my car going to look like crap afterwards sense its an 07 white hatch...

Its the darker colors where faint residue will show the most in the light, problem for you being white is the sun wont heat up your car enough without a heat gun...It looks a LOT better with them off...just do it...your thumbs will heal.

Im about to take off my side moldings this weekend.. ive heard goo be gone and fish line works the best... judging from some of the comments here it seems like a real pain to get this left over tape off... now wondering if it is even worth it and is my car going to look like crap afterwards sense its an 07 white hatch...

It is worth it. The car looks soo much cleaner. I also need to remove the 2.3 from the doors, they are just "floating" now and looks pretty dumb so they gotta go.

yeah ill be taking all that off... my moldings are this yellowish tint that just is ugly... well looks like i need lots of bandaids and wish me luck!!!!

Its the darker colors where faint residue will show the most in the light, problem for you being white is the sun wont heat up your car enough without a heat gun...It looks a LOT better with them off...just do it...your thumbs will heal.

Will i have that faint residue left over when the light hits it? i but if i get all the crap off and do a quick rinse and wax it should look like they were never there right? :) tis my hope

Will i have that faint residue left over when the light hits it? i but if i get all the crap off and do a quick rinse and wax it should look like they were never there right? :) tis my hope

Thats what i did with mine and the outline dissappeared after less than three days.

You'll be fine, Courage. Don't worry so much. Just remember, many have come before you and made it out the other side. :D :D :D

Hat, did you get you short shifter yet? Or was that MazdaSwede?

So i took them off and now theres a yellow stripe where the molding used to be and it wont come off... any suggestions..

LOLOLOLOL @ all the amateurs using their thumbs and chemicals to get 2 sided tape off!

Tell them what they SHOULD be using, Larry!! haha

BOOM!!!

2011-04-13201451.jpg

Back