Big purchase time.

BigSpicy03

:
2003 MazdaSpeed Protege Spicy
Hey guys...Ok so here's the deal I've got 3g's to spend on my spicy it's completely stock. where is this money going to be best spent I know an intercooler upgrade is key but whats gonna be the biggest difference maker i'm looking for power and reliability a new turbo or are there some other things i should focus on I'm a former mustang guy so this whole turbo four banger is new to me any help would be great.

Buy yourself a spare FS block and get it built with forged rods and pistons. Also look at the transmission. A new welded MSP, Mfactory, or quaife LSD will do you good. It all depends on what you're looking for though. How much power are you looking to make?

i'd like to make 230-250hp I want a nice daily driver with enough power to let me play with most imports out there.

Very few people have got to those levels on the stock block. Don't know if you know but the engine in your MSP is the same as the regular protege. The rods suck, the oil system sucks, and so do a few other things. I would recommend doing a boatload of research on the forum here before spending that hard earned money. You will love yourself for it later. Check out all the different sections. I don't even know where to start on giving you advice because there is so much to tell lol.

no prob at least your honest..didn't know the stock internals were so weak thanks for the info bud

like boostr said many people have hit 230 to 250 whp on the stock block and turbo. your about like me money wise and my 2 things are power and suspension. the stock body is great and the wheels look good no need for appearance upgrades yet. i so far have the following
kw coilovers-1500 but i got em for 1k
turbolife fmic-600
aem cai-130 also go a nice deal on this
unichip-250
pope downpipe-310 very nice piece
i still have to get the vibrant 505 intake manifold and gauges

to answer your question i would go with the tein lowering springs for your drop there nice and cheap. FMIC, TBE (doesnt matter how you do this, custom exhaust is fine too but you want to get rid of the stock downpipe too) cai, turbo manifold (not many makers, steedspeed is probably the best maker for our car also you could go custom) ssafc/unichip your choice. with full bolt ons a tune and upping the boost 230 whp is possible. its not all the motor why these things blow it is also the weak tune. i know of multiple guys who have ran 14 15 psi on the stock motor granted you flirt with danger when upping the boost. 10 psi is considered the highest people would go with some good mods. open it all up before you do up the boost ie fmic tbe youll see a huge change in the car. actually these two things will naturally up your boost to maybe 8 or 9 psi.

Last edited:
Back