Sleeping in mazda 5

Stew

:
2012 Mazda5 6M
I am considering a mazda 5, but was curious how tall you can be and still sleep in the rear area of the car. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks chief. I work for a dealership with a mazda franchise about an hour and a half away, so I would not be buying from any of the dealers in the area. Didn't want to break their fuzzy little hearts lookin and leavin.

Thanks chief. I work for a dealership with a mazda franchise about an hour and a half away, so I would not be buying from any of the dealers in the area. Didn't want to break their fuzzy little hearts lookin and leavin.

Glad to help. You're a better man than I; when I bought my Mazdaspeed3, I test drove locally and purchased from another larger dealer with better selection and price about 45 minutes away. I don't feel too bad, because the local dealership gets my service-related business.

I quickly measured the back of my '5'.......it's about 6'0" from the back of the front seats to the tailgate, and about 6'8" diagonally. I'm 6'0" and I'm sure I could sleep in it the easily, but I'd need an air mattress to lay on.
(couch)

Meh...we just went to New York City for 4 days and THREE of us slept in an 06 Civic instead of paying for a hotel...I am sure you will have no problems at all in the 5...

Hope this helps. I hauled a twin size bed frame from Ikea and the package (about 83 inches in length) reaches partially into the front row. If you really want to sleep comfortably in the back of the 5, you can even push the two front seats all the way towards the front and recline the seat backs forward. There is a Coleman air mattress that is designed for SUVs and supposedly fits the 5, but I haven't had time to use it yet.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10180411

168903_1888601175249_1248052196_32250161_369833_n-1.jpg

180011_1888602975294_1248052196_32250172_7521758_n.jpg

see post #296 in the below thread; while I'd advise against using a mattress and box spring, you can eek out the length of a mattress with second row stowed and the front row almost all the way forward.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...&p=5567357&highlight=chief_wiggum#post5567357

Actually, a better pic would be on page 9, post #131.

Alternately for taller people who must have the rear hatch open, I wonder if there's any rear hatch tent attachment designed for the 5. I remember there was one designed for the Aztek...

go to the showroom, fold the seats down, and lay down :D

OK, went to the local dealer and tried it out. Pass seat all the way forward with pass rear seat forward was able to fit in (5'11" tall). My concern was not distance to back of front seats, but distance to the botom cushion once folded forward to lay down the mid row seats. I didn't see a way to not have them there other than unbolting them which I don't think I want to do.

Thanks for the help.

I just went outside and measured the back of my 2012 Mazda 5 GT. I moved the passenger seat fully forward and tilted the seatback toward the dash. I then pulled up the seat bottom of the second row seat on the passenger side and pushed the seatback all the way flat (after removing the headrest). Measuring from the inside of the closed tailgate straight behind the passenger seat, the distance to the folded second seat bottom was 72". Measuring from the driver's corner of the inside tailgate diagonally to the folded seat bottom on the passenger side, the distance was 80". I'd venture that 90% of the male population could sleep comfortably in the back of the '5'. Here are a couple earlier shots of the inside of my '5' with all rear seats folded down:

5GT_12.jpg

5GT_11.jpg

Thanks for the pics Johnny. It really is amazing how much space they snuck into these things.

I slept in the back of my 5 (along with two kids) on a camping trip when it was too cold outside. Three sleeping bags, no pads or air mattress. This is of course largely due to the fact that I am the bottom 10% on the growth chart. A commodores folding chair and a small pillow filled the gap between the two second-row seats so no body parts will get stuck in there. The only problem I had was closing the liftgate from inside the cargo area. I had to enter the cargo area from a side door.

yup, 3/4" thick shipping crate cardboard. Which since I took that photo I cut a larger piece that looks like this:

3701654222_a7cb1510f2_o.jpg

This old thread came up in my search for "bed in mazda 5," looking for pics of a built-in platform to sleep 1 person, about 8" below the rear passenger window sill height.
I've built a flat cargo floor that installs w 2d & 3rd row seats out. With a 3" memory foam on the cargo floor, it's perfect for one 6-footer (I assume the 6'2" clear length at hatch height has been settled. Also, realize we don't sleep at our full height.)
The problem for two sleeping is the 41"width between the wheel wells -- pretty tight for two if you're used to a king, unless you're also used to both turning over at the same time.
I've seen van conversions online that attach a bed for 1 along the side of a larger van, or even a pair of them over-under. The M5 doesn't have the height for two, but one platform about 28" wide could sleep 1, with another on the cargo floor.
Has anybody seen this or something similar?

That's a pretty specific request... I definitely haven't seen anything like that. If you've already taken measurements with seats completely removed from the car, I'm sure you can map out the volume better than most. There's a LOT of room under that third row once it's out. If you're not claustrophobic I'm sure you could build a double-decker sleeping arrangement in a stripped out 5.

Back