Mazda 6 Brake upgrade

Someone correct me if im wrong here because im still a littlelost and need to do some brake work soon.
2006+;Mazda6 calipers are the best option for fronts? Will 15inch rims work with that? (i ask because my winters are that size) and rears, 99+ 626? No modifications needed with that set up?

i have 2008s and there's no way a 15 would fit...the 16 barely does lol. the 2006 caliper is the same part #

Ok so what is bigger the 2008 mz6 or 2006+ Mazda 6 brakes?

Also anyone figure out a solution to run either or in the rear with a functioning e brake?

None. I tried last week for the 1999 Mazda 626 rear swap. Doesn't work, the rotors rub up against the bracket. (yes i used 626 brackets and 626 rotors. This was a huge PITA and inconvenience for me. Just stick with stock rears. There won't be much of a benefit of using larger rears on our cars.

Just recently got on a set of 06 mazda 6 front calipers and rotors. So will a good set of rotors and pads for the rear be enough? Planning to autoX this year sometime.

Just recently got on a set of 06 mazda 6 front calipers and rotors. So will a good set of rotors and pads for the rear be enough? Planning to autoX this year sometime.

Personally I think yes, I just wanted to do the swap to fill in some wheel gap for aesthetic reasons.

For auto-x you'll be fine with the stock setup. Just some better pads will do the job very well. With our cars being momentum cars we don't really use the brakes much anyway.

My 06 MS6 brakes with front stoptek ceramic pads, stock rear pads, and stoptek slotted rotors all the way around feel amazing. I still need to install the ceramic rear pads to see how that feels.

Cool I had read elsewhere on the forum that there might be an inssue with having too much braking in the front and warping the rears because of it. Besides after installing the M6 fronts and attempting to bleed the system the bleeder screw on one of my rear calipers broke and instead of just swapping in another figure I would upgrade. However if it's not necessary then I'll just swap it out.

After reading alot and from some personal experience the Proteges seem to have a bit of a rear bias. Supposedly this was done to prevent nose dive under hard braking and for more even front/rear pad wear.
The downside is that the abs is a little tail happy especially at lower speeds. Some of the guys who used to autocross claimed good results from putting a more aggressive front pads on.
Right now I love my my setup with the 06 MS6 front calipers, stainless braided lines, and ATE super blue. It's perfect right now but I have not put the new rear pads in (had to exchange pads.) As long the new pads don't drastically change it I'm good.

I just picked up a 2003 protege5, and I'm looking into the mz6 brake swap front and rear, and swapping of all my performance goodies over from my es. I would to do like the ms6 swap, but I don't want to have to run 17's or 18's in the winter. A lot of useful information in this thread. I'll post my findings after I attempt it.

I just picked up a 2003 protege5, and I'm looking into the mz6 brake swap front and rear, and swapping of all my performance goodies over from my es. I would to do like the ms6 swap, but I don't want to have to run 17's or 18's in the winter. A lot of useful information in this thread. I'll post my findings after I attempt it.

The Mz6 rear brakes are a bit of a pain due to the bleed screw being on the wrong side and the e-brake cable not bolting up. People have gotten them to work but it is not a straight bolt on. Look at late model 626 rear brakes; they may be an easier install and I'm pretty sure that they are the same size as the MSP and Ms6 rears. 11" iirc.

The Mz6 rear brakes are a bit of a pain due to the bleed screw being on the wrong side and the e-brake cable not bolting up. People have gotten them to work but it is not a straight bolt on. Look at late model 626 rear brakes; they may be an easier install and I'm pretty sure that they are the same size as the MSP and Ms6 rears. 11" iirc.

Yup! 99+ 626 rears are the same size and will bolt up with no ebrake issues. I am just waiting to get pads, rotors, and get mine rebuilt to do the complete upgrade with 07 MZ6 fronts

I just flipped the Left caliper to the right side and then the bleeder is in the correct location.

194223_10150148651683754_502903753_6539267_1304730_o.jpg

I just flipped the Left caliper to the right side and then the bleeder is in the correct location.

^True. What about the e-brake though? Mz6 rear are a little more work for no gain over the 626 rears. Mz6 will work, but why bother?

Who actually has 626 rears? I tried this last week and it didn't fit.

What didn't fit? I have a pair in the garage that I am waiting to order pads and rotors for. I guess I can try bolting one side up?

I researched it a couple pages back and the Probe guys were bolting on P5 rears and 626 rears without any issues ...

Bumping and updating this thread as I have found a good rear solution for those that don't want to do the crazy ebrake setup for MZ6 brakes: 99+ 626 rear brakes

I've been researching all morning and found a bunch of Probe guys do this swap. They already know about the P5/MZ6/MS6 swaps and those all bolt up to a Probe, as do the 626 brakes, so they should also be a direct swap for us! They are the same diameter as the MSP/MZ6 rear brakes, but bolt in and are way cheaper!

I already have a set of 07 MZ6 front brakes, and will be finding some 99+ 626 rears to complete my OEM BBK. Very Excite!

Front: (Height | Width | Weight)
2006-09 Mazda6 (v6) : 298mm | 25mm | 19lbs
2003-05 Mazda6 (v6) : 282mm | 25mm | 14.8lbs
2003-03.5 Mazda MSP: 273mm | 24mm | 13.5lbs
2002-03 Mazda Pro5 : 257mm | 24mm | 12lbs

Rear: (Height | Width | Weight)
2006-09 Mazda6 (v6) : 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2003-04 Mazda6 (v6) : 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2003-03.5 Mazda MSP: 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2002-03 Mazda Pro5 : 261mm | 10mm | 9lbs
1999-02 Mazda 626: 280mm | ??mm | ??lbs

Research links: