How to Clean Air Idle Control Valve?

RABID_MP5

:
2002 Protege5
I'm getting intermittent idle wander. EGR ruled out. I've never had the idle control valve off. Is this the one with the non-tamper screws? Want to make sure I get the right thing off. Then, how should it be cleaned?

If I remember correctly on mine it had 4 philips screws on it that were rock hard on the TB and I needed to use one of those tools with a philips head on it that you hit with a hammer to unscrew them. Works like a charm and keeps the screws from getting buggered up. There is a really funky rubber gasket underneath it to separate all the chambers that you need to be careful with and then you need a plastic toothbrush basically and a can of brakekleen to clean it up. Do the TB at the same time since you'll have it off anyway. And get yourself a new TB gasket as well. The car will run like sheet for a few seconds after you start it while it finishes burning off the trace amounts of brake kleen in the TB and idle control valve.

yeah I looked at it. Looks like one of the TB coolant hoses goes thru the body of it. I had the throttle body off 3 years ago but forgot it all. Can anything be gained by instead of pulling the 4 phillips screws on the housing to somehow pull just the 2 screws that hold the valve into the housing? MIGHT give better access to clean it up too? Since the new units come with this all assembled, I don't want to try it unless someone else has already done this OK. Don't wanna ruin it.

Is this substantially like what we need to do?

http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52307

guess we need a how-to for the P5. A thread may be floating around already with this too.

Last edited:
OK I've dremeled slots in both anti-tamper screws and broken them loose. Can I pull the control solenoid (and put it back in) with the body of the valve in place? Or does it require a different angle, requiring removal of the whole IACV and/or Throttle Body assembly? i.e. to get the pieces all out and back into the valve body?

Bump on this old one - my idle & hesitation is getting bad. I'm ready to pull the IAC solenoid out horizontally via the 2 anti-tamper screws, leaving the main part in place on the throttle body. Can I do this without something dropping out?

Bump - I need to know if this will work or it something will fall out. Also, I now think the IAC valve is causing a brief but bad hesitation when starting up off idle. My theory is that it is hanging up with crud and finally breaks loose, leaning out the mixture for an instant. I believe the IAC valve is supposed to be pretty much open except when idling.

Latest posts

Back