2002 MP5 will crank but won't start

norcalnewb

:
Protege5
First, this my first post, so I should say hi. I just got a 2002 MP5 with about 120K on it. Had the car for a couple of weeks without any problems.

This week, I went on a business trip and left my car at the airport for since Monday. I got back this afternoon and could not get the car to start. It cranks, but won't fire up. I left the car at the airport for the night, but I am heading back tomorrow to see what I can do. Does anybody have any suggestions on something to look for?

Thanks,

Jim

If it cranks over and over, then it's probably the starter. If it cranks but then sort of winds down, it's the battery. You can try tapping on the starter...often a starter that's going can be coaxed into working by tapping it with a hammer. If it's the battery, try jumping it. GL.

Just curious how could the starter be bad if it turns over? If its turning over. It might not be geting spark

Depending on mileage. I'd say 2002 - somewhere near 100,000. First take off oil filler cap, have someone with flashlight look into hole and while you crank over engine see if camshaft turns, if not. Replace Timing belt !

If that's the case look on here for a timing belt complete change guide. Someone posted with full pics while he did his print it out and read very carefully all his tips and writings helped a great deal and saved a ton of time.

+2 on the timing belt check. Also I'd pull a plug and see how they look. If they are all black and wet, you may need to replace them. They should look a little sooty and mostly white.

Try turning it over for 30 seconds or so and then go smell the tail pipe and see if it smells like gas. If it does, you most likely don't have spark, if not then you may not be getting fuel.

Does anyone know if there are any security switches (neutral safety switch and the like) that could keep the car from starting?

Back