Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: Code P0455

Registered Member

Mazda 5 2009

Code P0455

Hello,
    I got the error code P0455. I check the gas cap but the engine light still on. The car still under warranty for emmision and powerdrive not bumber to bumper. The milage is 43,450 I bought it at 41,000k. The panel for the plug was missing so the dealer must have run the diag. Mazda wants to charge me $100 for Diag check. I am under warranty? And can I safely reset the engine light with my OBD II tool? Thank you.

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by letcondor View Post
    Hello,
    I got the error code P0455. I check the gas cap but the engine light still on. The car still under warranty for emmision and powerdrive not bumber to bumper. The milage is 43,450 I bought it at 41,000k. The panel for the plug was missing so the dealer must have run the diag. Mazda wants to charge me $100 for Diag check. I am under warranty? And can I safely reset the engine light with my OBD II tool? Thank you.
    I would say replace your Camshaft Sensor and also check your Crankshaft Circuit for your Crank Shaft

Registered Member

2006 Mazda 6 - auto

Quote Originally Posted by M2P503 View Post
    I would say replace your Camshaft Sensor and also check your Crankshaft Circuit for your Crank Shaft
    My guess is that you should be still under warranty - best thing to do is ask Mazda. The dealer should refund your diag cost if it turns out to be covered under warranty.

My understanding is that you should be able to reset the light and it will come back if you still have a problem. Otherwise, it will take some time to clear on it's own.

I'd tighten the gas cap back and reset the light and see if the problem comes back.

PVB, Mazda2, Mazda5, Protege5 & Spam Removal Moderator

'13 Mazda3 / '13 Edge / Your Mom

Quote Originally Posted by M2P503 View Post
    Not sure what the camshaft sensor has to do with it... since p0455 is EVAP emissions control system leak detected (no purge flow or large leak).

This is usually a gas cap issue... at least that is the simplest fix to try first.

Also, the original poster has not been on here since his question was answered in a different thread... so they probably figured it out.
    13 MZ3 // 13 Edge
    If you see spam.... REPORT IT! Fight the spam, don't eat it... or bump the spam threads.
    Audio stuff for sale!

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by kw_da View Post
    My guess is that you should be still under warranty - best thing to do is ask Mazda. The dealer should refund your diag cost if it turns out to be covered under warranty.

My understanding is that you should be able to reset the light and it will come back if you still have a problem. Otherwise, it will take some time to clear on it's own.

I'd tighten the gas cap back and reset the light and see if the problem comes back.
    This isnt my car that has the problem KW DA it's Letconor i think you were referring too

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin03mp5 View Post
    Not sure what the camshaft sensor has to do with it... since p0455 is EVAP emissions control system leak detected (no purge flow or large leak).

This is usually a gas cap issue... at least that is the simplest fix to try first.

Also, the original poster has not been on here since his question was answered in a different thread... so they probably figured it out.
    It could also be a leak in your Fuel line or loose Fuel line some where. Here click this link and see for yourself http://www.obd-codes.com/p0455

2009 Mazda5 GT

Do not go in like a bull in a China shop and start replacing unrelated parts. Use common sense. Start by clearing the code. Come back and let us know if it comes back on and we'll walk you through a logical problem solving approach that doesn't involve blowing money with no clue what you're doing.

2003 Mazda Protege5

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    Do not go in like a bull in a China shop and start replacing unrelated parts. Use common sense. Start by clearing the code. Come back and let us know if it comes back on and we'll walk you through a logical problem solving approach that doesn't involve blowing money with no clue what you're doing.

Registered Member

Mazda 5 GT

I agree with resetting the code first and observe.

The system checks for leaks during startup. An airpump pushes air into the tank. The computer
    measures the 'current' flowing into the pump motor. How fast the current rises, how slow, how high.. etc.
    the program will check with 'normal values' stored in its memory. and gives you the codes. like if there is a leak,
    the current load on the pump motor will not rise fast enough. computer then wills say 'there must be a leak because
    by now the motor should be working hard already.

I'm regularly getting this code too. Usually after a fuel fill up. Most often if its my son who does the filling up.
    So I think in my case it is the gas cap that's losing its seal. I just reset the code (I have maxitrip (poor man's scangauge))
    and smear thin layer of silicon grease around the gas cap.

Eventually though, I expect this pump unit to fail in the near future.

Mine is a 2006GT with 82,000km.

Registered Member

2007 Mazda5 5MT

1.) Dealer should never charge for something under warranty at all. It is not a fault with you, it is with the vehicle. They are scamming you.

2.) Clear the code. It is the gas cap. If it comes back, it is a faulty cap and should be replaced under warranty with no cost to you.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

You guys do realize the OP is from April 2011 right?

And he's been gone since then...
    Aaron

Registered Member

2007 Mazda5 5MT

yeesh, I got duped...

PVB, Mazda2, Mazda5, Protege5 & Spam Removal Moderator

'13 Mazda3 / '13 Edge / Your Mom

Quote Originally Posted by flcruising View Post
    You guys do realize the OP is from April 2011 right?

And he's been gone since then...
    Yeah, I believe I said that earlier when I moved the thread from one of the main sponsors (where it shouldn't be) to here. I put it here mainly for reference.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2006 MAZDA 5, 2009 MAZDA 3

I have a similar issue with my 5...how do i "clear the code"?

2009 Mazda5 GT

That's funny.