2006 sway bar bushing sizes

I was changing over to summer tires this weekend and also decided to measure the diameter of my 2006 M5 to replace the front(worn) and rear(squeaky) sway bar bushings. with a digital caliper.

My measurements are: front ---> 23.1mm
rear ---> 20.2mm

I was able to confirm that the stock rear sway bar is 20mm but the only reference on the front sway bar show it should be 21mm not 23mm. Can anyone verify my measurements?

BTW. While changing the tires I noticed the rear passenger side shock is leaking after 120,000 Km.

Sorry I can't answer your question... but I have a question for you... i just replaced my rear bushings and my front end-links... well, I actually had my local shop do it. I bought OE replacement Mazda front and rear bushings expecting to replace all of them. My guy at the shop recommended not doing the front bushings because getting at them meant removing the entire steering rack = huge labour $$. He told me they looked fine anyway but recommended replacing the front end-links which were substantially worn and take much more of a beating than the front bushings do. This also saved me quite a bit in labour + the links are quite cheap... at the end of the day new front links and rear bushings greatly improved the ride!

Anyway, just wondering if you've gotten to this point and/or found a way to get at the front bushings without removing the steering rack??

(He did mention another way, but it was even more intense and more labour... can't recall exactly what it was but I think it involved removing the front subframe..)

Last edited:
I just took my 5 to metrotown mazda and they quoted me 120 to replace the front sway bar bushings with oem replacements. I was going to replace them with some polyurethane bushings but cant figure out what size is needed.

I bet poly is going to squeak. Don't just take my word, but if rubber with cross hatching on the inside squeaks, why wouldn't poly?

Sorry I can't answer your question... but I have a question for you... i just replaced my rear bushings and my front end-links... well, I actually had my local shop do it. I bought OE replacement Mazda front and rear bushings expecting to replace all of them. My guy at the shop recommended not doing the front bushings because getting at them meant removing the entire steering rack = huge labour $$. He told me they looked fine anyway but recommended replacing the front end-links which were substantially worn and take much more of a beating than the front bushings do. This also saved me quite a bit in labour + the links are quite cheap... at the end of the day new front links and rear bushings greatly improved the ride!

Anyway, just wondering if you've gotten to this point and/or found a way to get at the front bushings without removing the steering rack??

(He did mention another way, but it was even more intense and more labour... can't recall exactly what it was but I think it involved removing the front subframe..)

Sounds like the guy just didn't want to do the work. This TSB recommends pulling the transverse member off to access the brackets easier, but no mention of the steering rack. I lubed the front bushings last fall, and did all the work on the ground. If I had an air ratchet like a shop, it would have been a 30 minute job max (I didn't pull the cross member off either). My difficulty was from the bolts being semi-rusted, so I had to do alot of muscling. Put it all back together with some antiseize to make my life easier the next time I have to do it.

Hmmm... looks like I may just have to find the time and do this myself... would normally have done the other work myself, but with 4 month old twins finding time these days is very difficult!! Thanks!

Sounds like the guy just didn't want to do the work. This TSB recommends pulling the transverse member off to access the brackets easier, but no mention of the steering rack. I lubed the front bushings last fall, and did all the work on the ground. If I had an air ratchet like a shop, it would have been a 30 minute job max (I didn't pull the cross member off either). My difficulty was from the bolts being semi-rusted, so I had to do alot of muscling. Put it all back together with some antiseize to make my life easier the next time I have to do it.

Most mechanics don't see the easiest way to do things. Sad. I am so tired of hearing these stories from people who have to rely on these a**wipes to get any work done. It's pitiful really. The dealers are just as bad.

If it doesn't require specialized tools (that's subjective too with the loan-a-tool program parts stores have) or equipment, I ain't skeered ov'it.

I bet poly is going to squeak. Don't just take my word, but if rubber with cross hatching on the inside squeaks, why wouldn't poly?

Mine aren't squeaking, I hear a clunk going over some bumps. I'm not worried about squeaking, just figure if I need to replace something, might as well upgrade it :)

Mine aren't squeaking, I hear a clunk going over some bumps. I'm not worried about squeaking, just figure if I need to replace something, might as well upgrade it :)

From what I have heard from the Mazda techs and service writers, the Mazda5 OEM front bushings have undergone several engineering changes, and they are on version ~3.0 now.

SWay bar specs

I was able to find the sway specs from the factory service manual, the front is 23mm and rear 20mm.

The Energy Suspension part number for the 23mm bushing is 9.5159.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.5159

They do not make a greasable 20mm bushing, here is the non-greasable part number:9.5124

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.5124

I don't know if the brackets will match up with the Mazda 5s bracket mounting holes, but it looks like these thing are pretty much standardized. It would be great is someone can verify this.

kezr0z.jpg

Latest posts

Back