EGR Valve Symptoms / Missfire

socjdqcer

:
Mazdaspeed protege
Hey guys, so i heard that eventually all of our EGR Valves go bad, some go quicker than others. I was wondering what the symptoms of a bad egr valve are. So if any of you have had yours go bad, let us know!

My MSP has been running awesome w/out any problems for about 2 years. Recently I noticed yesterday when i came to a idle at a stop sign it started to idle rough ( like a misfire). Well I wen to take off and it didnt want to go, but once i got to 2k rpms it was fine from then on. I thought it might be my plugs i have been wanting to change them for about 2 months. So i went home and changed them and it didnt fix anything, it was still running rough from about idle to 2k rpms. Once i get over 2k rpms it runs amazing all the way to redline. So this morning im on my way to school and it ran fine with no problem. Well I just had a quick break and ran to the store, and it was running rough again( but mainly only at lower rmp range.

I have never changed my wires and coil packs (I never needed to) I change my plugs every spring. I was thinking maybe its time they get changed too.

My dad has a P5 and when i ran the problem by him he thought it sounded just like when he had a bad EGR.

Thanks for looking and any help would be great

time for some new coils, wires, and probably a new egr. I would do coils and wires and plugs for now though.

Coil pack, it will get progressively worse until it goes. They start showing symptoms at low rpms and go away at high. you'll notice that everyday the rpm that it starts getting better at will move up in the rpm range until you can't move at all. That was my experience with a bad coil pack.
Hope that helps.

How guys thanks for the help! I was actually thinking coil pack too. I noticed that When i changed the plugs, the coil that controls cylinder 2-3, its plugs were a bit more dirty, and cylinders 1-4 were much cleaner!

Also My EGR looks like this
egr1439_full.jpg
\
and its about $124

or they have one like this, but im not sure what the hoses are for, its only about $115?

egr1883_full.jpg

this looks like the same one on ebay for a great price: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I changed one of the coils ( the one i thought was going bad) and the car is running much smoother. Ill have the other coil changed this weekend a long with the wires.

I tried to take the EGR Valve off, at least to clean it out, but the bolts are rusted sooooo bad, I cant get them off...looks like when that goes bad a shop will have to do it!

thanks again for the help! SO FAR SO GOOD!

Back