HID Type and Installation

hsoujiro

:
Mazda CX9
Hi All,
Currently there is no HID on my CX9, only Halogen H11 for low beam headlight. I plan to change to HID.
In manual, it is D2S for HID. What is the different between H11 and D2S, in term of connector and beam ?
Please if you have any recommendation, Mfg, type and online store that selling the HID kit + bulb.
Is it required a relay?, or we can just connect to the existing cable ?

Well, first off, not sure what year your cx-9 is.
I have attached some images that are applicable for 2008. I don't know what year they changed the design of the headlamp slightly, perhaps 2009?
The plastic headlamp itself, has 2 different prices, which does not even include the harness, the module, or the hid bulb. Not sure what is different about the plastic headlamp between hid/non hid.
The HID assembly has a different housing, has an "hid module" (circuit that the hid bulb plugs into), and an hid bulb. Although the price for both wiring harnesses is the same, it appears that they are different harnesses.
Here are some images that may help you.
gtlamp.jpg

gtlamp2.jpg

gtlamp3.jpg

gtlamp4.jpg

Oh, I remember now why the empty headlamp bucket itself is more expensive for the GT.... it has electronic leveling, where there is a selector knob on the dash to move the headlights up or down.

Hi helbigtw, my Cx9 is 2009 model. Btw, what is the original Cx9 HID manufacture ? Is it Philips/Hella, Matsushita, Denso/Koito ? Tx

D2S stock bulb type is for stock headlight housing. If you want to go this way, it costs you $$$$.
Here is the website selling HID for upgrading stock halogen bulbs.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W
Your bulb type is H11. You can select Color between 4300K (best light output) and 6000K (best white output).
The kit includes everything for installation. However, you have to drill a hole on the cap for running cable.
These HID kits are advertised right here in this forum. Check market place forum.

You may want to consider upgrading the H11 in the low beam socket to the H9 as mentioned in this forum.
A little mod to the low cost bulb goes a long way.
They work well in the stock low beams because they are already projector housings...so you don't just scatter bright light all around.
Some of the $5 H9 bulbs on Ebay work well but have a 250 hr life versus perhaps 1000 or so for the stock H11
There are long life H9 at twice the life for not much more if you look around.
So unless you looking for a blue look or something, suggest you give this a try.
I just did it to my 09 Touring and was pleasantly impressed with the 50% approx more lumens on the road (for about $15)
I have the old H11 as spares and expect to replace the H9's in a year or so.

Okay, so I have a 2010 CX-9 Touring, and I am considering factory retrofit or aftermarket replacement. So the DDM option will use the factory housing or do I need to change to the factory HID housing? From reading this thread it looks like H11's for the low bean, but what should be used in the high beam socket? Also I am new to cx-9s, what is the story with removing the low beams bulbs - I read something somewhere that indicates that the low beam is a bear to remove?

DDM Kits let you install straight to factory halogen housing, but you have to drill a hole on the cap (bulb cover) to run the cable to/from ballasts.
CX-9 High Beam is 9005 Type Bulbs.
Remove Low and High beam is really easy. However, you have to remove coolant tank for easy access to passenger side.
Low beam is covered with domed cap. High beam is with flat cap. Remove them by turning counter clockwise.

DDM Kits let you install straight to factory halogen housing, but you have to drill a hole on the cap (bulb cover) to run the cable to/from ballasts.
CX-9 High Beam is 9005 Type Bulbs.
Remove Low and High beam is really easy. However, you have to remove coolant tank for easy access to passenger side.
Low beam is covered with domed cap. High beam is with flat cap. Remove them by turning counter clockwise.

Thanks nguvanh; Okay, so why does the owner's manual state that you have to have the dealer to remover the low beams or maybe I did not read that right?

currently I am thinking of converting to HIDs (Aftermarket) on my Cx-9. I will start with the Foglights and then move on to the Headlights. The fog lights are key as I will retrofit them first, get them set up with hi-powered bulbs, and then set them up for turning on without the headlights. Then set the headlights for aftermarket HID conversion.

Yes, you read it right, but they recommend it, not a requirement.
If you are familiar to the HID, it will be easy for you.
I have done this on my old 07' CX-9 Touring.
Thanks nguvanh; Okay, so why does the owner's manual state that you have to have the dealer to remover the low beams or maybe I did not read that right?

hi helbigtw - My RH headlight was smashed but the ballast and harness are still intact. I have found a used non-hid housing, can I just plugin my old ballast and the harness? I read somewhere that the difference between the halogen and hid housing is the projector but I am not sure about the CX9, please enlighten me. Thanks.

My 2015 CX-9 did not have stock HIDs. Rather than do a full conversion requiring a new housing etc. I went with the DDM H11 bulbs and couldn't be happier.

Back