Gas tank filling problems at the pump, who can help.

:
Mazda Protege 5
I have a 02 P5, and as of the past few months my trips to the gas pump were rediculously timely. Maybe it is my car trying to reject the oil companies monopoly.

Every time I try to fill the tank the gas gets backed into the fill neck and trips the pump handle stop. It will happen around 1.2 gal to pop the handle the first time and then every .05 gal if you try to fill it quickly. I've taken up to 35 mins to fill my tank of what, 13 gallons? A real bummer when you're driving Atl to Detroit trying to keep a good trip avgerage speed.

I did use to top off the tank to keep an accurate record of my mpg and fuel costs. I just fell off writing it all down eventually and stopped topping off. I am sure because of this the vent is cloged up or something of the sort. I went peaking around to try and see if I could find the vent but it was late december in Detroit and I was frozen.

Who knows where the vent is accessable to run a snake or compressed air down to clear a possible clog? I do know the little hole in on the 12 o'clock spot above the fill hole is nothing more the a hole in a peice of metal, vent. Any pictures of the parts might help too.

Thanks in advance.

(Sent from phone, please excuse any spelling/missing letters)

Probably spiders in the vent system. Yes, that is the recall on newer ones, but based on the experience of some guys in Toronto it impacts the protege as well.

One thing I, and some people I know, have done when having trouble filling the tank is to turn the handle upside down. Looks silly, but it seems to keep it from cutting out all the time. Give that a try and see if it helps at all.

I am getting a bad trunk leak with water too, so who knows maybe it is the spiders getting into other mischevious things as well.

Did '2 0r '3 have a small spring loaded flap at the top of the fill tube that could fall off, drop down and slow the fill process?
Thought mine had this and fell off yrs ago.
Could have just been a past car.

Back