SenSen shocks

Ok, kids, in response to the shock oil tar sands appearing under my car, I just bought a set of the above shocks from APX auto.

I just want a stock replacement damper with a small quality/damping upgrade so, these seem to offer that, at a very reasonable price ($160/set of 4).

I also further added upgrade by ordering the set for the Mazda 5, which is a good bit heavier than the MS3.

I will report how this endeavour works out once I receive them and get the time to install these things.

Ok, unboxing the SenSens and the removal of a front wheel seems to indicate that, yes, the SenSen Mazda 5 strut is identical to the stock Speed strut. All the brackets are in the same place and the same design, it appears, visually.

Damping appears to be about a Koni medium setting in compression and rebound, hopefully that bears out on the road, when I get them in. This may be a while as, skiing kind of totalled my left shoulder and I'm going off on vacation at the end of next work week. I'll still update this as soon as I can.

Roger, I won't lower an already low car with the roads around here. Low cost of replacement, better QC than stock and a touch more damping, if I can get it, is what I'm testing for here.

Report in:

Sen Sens are a win. Firmer damping than stock, less nose dive and body rock under braking and acceleration, good ride quality. A nice inexpensive upgrade for people not into hardcore suspension modifications.

Issues I encountered because I used the Mazda 5 shocks:

I had to open up the hole slightly in the brake line mount to accommodate the larger MS3 brake lines (bit of file action).

Issues because of the Sen Sen's design:

I had to take the yellow dust cover/boot clip thing off the old shocks and dremel away a bit of the ridges of plastic oriented vertically inside it to get it to go over the larger metal dust cap on the Sen Sens.

Other issues:

The usual crap trying to get the struts in. You can get the strut out of this car in about 10 minutes but getting it back in can be a hassle. If all else fails, pull the front control arm bolt and that'll give you a little more room to work. Saves having to split the ball joint like the manual recommends. Definitely use the bolt and spreader trick or you'll never get it in. None of this is unique to the Sen Sens, any shock/strut will have the same issues.

Last edited:
APX lists the same part # for both the 3 and 5 - so your brake hose bracket issue is a defect. I had the same problem on the APX's I put in my 3s earlier today, a bit of work with a die grinder took care of it.

I expect the brake lines are smaller on the 3 and 5. If memory serves, they were on my wife's old '05 3. I expect it's one of the myriad of small changes to make a 3 a Speed.

The part #s are not entirely the same. APX lists the same base part # for both MZ3 and 5 (as does everyone else) but there's a 1 at the end for the MZ3 and a 2 for the MZ5.

All in all, it now has the damping it should have got from the factory, firm and European feeling, without being harsh.

I looked at some and it says (exclude mazdaspeed)
I just put HR springs in w/oem struts that have 65k on them. It's really bouncy.
I need new shocks/struts I'm assuming. Looking @ these but don't know wich ones to get.
You got a link to the website you got yours? Thanx in advance.

With the H&R - I would go with the Koni Yellows. For the Eibach springs this may work pretty good. I'm really thinking of buying these for my stock replacements with the Eibach Prokit I have on now.

I called them yesterday and the CSR person I spoke to said that they have a container coming in and will likely update their inventory on the site - likely early next week.

So the 3 and 5 shocks are the same part? I need new rears, and they have rear sets in stock for $65. Should I buy??

So if I were to purchase the 3 shocks, would I be losing performance over the OEM ones? Or are the SenSen Mazda3 shocks still an upgrade over OEM Mazdaspeed shocks?

So if I were to purchase the 3 shocks, would I be losing performance over the OEM ones? Or are the SenSen Mazda3 shocks still an upgrade over OEM Mazdaspeed shocks?

i would either get speed3 or mazda5 struts.

I figure the Mazda 5 struts would be a little stiffer since it's probably a heavier vehicle. So I wanna get these to run with my hr springs. Right now it's bouncy. Hoping to stiffen it a bit but still be comfortable.

Still listed as out of stock on their site, didn't call them though. I'm just going to order Koni Sport/Yellow from Koni NA.

Back