Mazda6 / RX-8 overhead console w/ sunglass holder

steronz

:
'09 Mazda5
Doesn't work. I just figured I'd post up here in case anyone else had the same idea. I was able to do this once on a Focus -- these overhead consoles typically just clip to the headliner, and as long as the contour is similar they can interchange. I picked up a Mazda6 console and decided to give it a shot. It looks like this:

mazda_overhead_console.jpg

The dome light portion is dimensionally identical to the Mazda3/Mazda5 unit, but it has a natural taper to it towards the windshield. Since the sunglass holder sits in front of the dome light, it continues the taper to the point where it's too small to cover the hole that would be left by the stock dome light. It could probably be made to work if you weren't too picky, or if you turned it around and got your sunglasses out backwards, but I didn't want to jank up my headliner. I've officially ditched this idea.

Bummer, I know.

Bummer, but good attempt.

I love all the VW swapping I can do w/ my Golf. The New Beetle sunglasses holder which replaces the oh shucks handle is awesome. And the overhead/ambient light overhead from a Passat W8 looks amazing at night.

Keep creating...

I thought I saw an 06 GS with sunglass holder, this is the one I tested when I decided to buy my 5. Well I dont know

I had a request to update this thread with clarification. Because my explanation skills suck but my MSPaint skills are da bomb, I made a visual aid. Below are the Mazda6 console on the left, and the Mazda5/3 console in the middle. What's hard to tell from the picture is that these are all very slight trapezoids -- that's the taper to which I was referring. I've exaggerated the trapezoid shape for effect here:

mazda_overhead_console_redux.jpg

If you were to line up the the map light portion of the console with the stock location, it would fill the hole nicely but you'd have to knock out the windshield. Because of that pesky piece of glass, you need to shift the entire thing rearward, and because it's a trapezoid, the sunglasses-holder portion isn't wide enough to fill the hole (the hole is represented by the green bits). I figured I can make the hole bigger, but I can't make it smaller so I gave up.

Hope that helps.

Thank for clarifying. So the issue is the headliner. The forward section (toward the windshield) is not deep enough for the sunglasses holder pocket, therefore you'd have to move it back but it would not fit with the existing hole (green gap). Is that correct?

ATTACH]
I don't drive the Mz5 much and thought the housing was more towards the rear, not up front. Still, I wonder how far off it is. Perhaps fill it? I really want the overhead sunglasses compartment. Damn it Mazda... If only you mounted the Mz3/Mz5 console farther to the back! (pissed)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 167
Thank for clarifying. So the issue is the headliner. The forward section (toward the windshield) is not deep enough for the sunglasses holder pocket, therefore you'd have to move it back but it would not fit with the existing hole (green gap). Is that correct?

Yup, that's correct.

I've no sunroof so I can't comment on any sunroof controls.

why not? It does suck that it is so samll. I look forward to the next car having a sky roof (or full drop top).
cuz the toddler's screaming: WINDY WINDY! and the mrs don't wanna get tanned/skin cancer (which is super confusing because her last car was an SLK, and my last car was a S2K).

but this sunglasses thing is becoming a major annoyance since there's no good place to put it without hearing constant rattles.

Well that's interesting. I wonder if it's a different part from the Mazda6 console or if the headliner is cut differently...

Back