How many miles do you have on your CX-9

A few other people have mentioned the oem brakes are not very good as well. Good choice on replacing them with something better. While your changing the trans fluid you might as well change the transfer case fluid as well. Out of all the other fluids this one is definitely not lifetime.

A few other people have mentioned the oem brakes are not very good as well. Good choice on replacing them with something better. While your changing the trans fluid you might as well change the transfer case fluid as well. Out of all the other fluids this one is definitely not lifetime.

My CX-9 is FWD, so no transfer case.

Just sold ours with 74K miles on it. We were very happy with it - 2011 touring w. AWD and tech package. Never had any issues with it other than occasionally the automatic shut lift gate would not close properly, but only happened a few times and not much at all in the last year we owned it. Got 22mpg on road trips, maybe 17-18 over-all. Great car in my view. Front brakes got pretty bad vibration around 60K, so I replaced with quality aftermarket rotors and pads and has been fantastic since. Really no other issues whatsoever. New owner is very happy with it so far as well. Our kids are away at college now so we just picked up a new 2015 Mazda3 grand touring S that will serve as my wife's daily driver replacing a 2003 Protege5, and that car will also get long distance road trip duty visiting our kids that are 3-4 hours away in opposite directions. Using half the fuel will be nice and I think the new 3 is just as nice on the highway as the CX9 was - a major improvement over previous 3 and Protege generations.

Just sold ours with 74K miles on it. We were very happy with it - 2011 touring w. AWD and tech package. Never had any issues with it other than occasionally the automatic shut lift gate would not close properly, but only happened a few times and not much at all in the last year we owned it. Got 22mpg on road trips, maybe 17-18 over-all. Great car in my view. Front brakes got pretty bad vibration around 60K, so I replaced with quality aftermarket rotors and pads and has been fantastic since. Really no other issues whatsoever. New owner is very happy with it so far as well. Our kids are away at college now so we just picked up a new 2015 Mazda3 grand touring S that will serve as my wife's daily driver replacing a 2003 Protege5, and that car will also get long distance road trip duty visiting our kids that are 3-4 hours away in opposite directions. Using half the fuel will be nice and I think the new 3 is just as nice on the highway as the CX9 was - a major improvement over previous 3 and Protege generations.

I'm guessing that you got the 5-door version of the Mazda3 to replace the CX-9 and Protege5? I have a 1st-gen (2006) Mazda3 s 5-door that I bought new in 12/2005. My CX-9 had to go in for a warranty repair and they gave me a 2014 Mazda3 i Touring 5-door as a loaner for a few days. I was extremely (plesantly) surprised by how quiet and smooth the new model is compared to mine. But even with the 2.0L and automatic, it still performed very well and the fuel economy was amazing. The 16" wheels look dinky on the 'i' models (they really should go up to 17s) but the handling was still very good despite the dainty footprint! =)

I've looked at the current Mazda3 s Grand Touring 5-door since then. It is a very imrpessive car. I really like the Blue Reflex color....

I'm guessing that you got the 5-door version of the Mazda3 to replace the CX-9 and Protege5? I have a 1st-gen (2006) Mazda3 s 5-door that I bought new in 12/2005. My CX-9 had to go in for a warranty repair and they gave me a 2014 Mazda3 i Touring 5-door as a loaner for a few days. I was extremely (plesantly) surprised by how quiet and smooth the new model is compared to mine. But even with the 2.0L and automatic, it still performed very well and the fuel economy was amazing. The 16" wheels look dinky on the 'i' models (they really should go up to 17s) but the handling was still very good despite the dainty footprint! =)

I've looked at the current Mazda3 s Grand Touring 5-door since then. It is a very imrpessive car. I really like the Blue Reflex color....

Yes - 5 door. I opted for the S model which has a 2.5L motor making an extra 30hp, which I find suits the car better and only costs 3mpg (37 vs 40 highway)
Plus the S models get much nicer looking 18" wheels, which also improves the handling and braking. I am a big BMW nut, and this version of the car certainly reminds me of a BMW in the way it drives and handles and the cabin quietness too. Went with Liquid Silver which is a neat color with a ton of metallic in it. Blue Reflex is nice, but hard to find around here - dealers don't seem to order blue cars in CA in general. Annoying IMHO!

I have 80k on the ticker of mine......im really reserved at the moment on my 2008's reliability I just had the carrier bearing go out on my rear driveshaft. What am I to expect coming up for repairs to get to the 150k mark. I had planned all along on driving this to 200k but the more ive worked on this the more idk it seems the quality isn't on par with my Subaru's and I hate to throw out a brand comparison, but the quality doesn't seem there as much. so by all means those who have owned 2007 and 2008 cx9 in particular how many miles have you gone and what repairs have you done. I have changed the transmission fluid at 60k and the transfer case was changed multiple times at 60k with 1k between 4 drain and refills, it was some awful oil that came out of that transfer case NOT impressed with that design or lack of it there, so how about transfer cases who has had to change them ? so who has the highest has anyone made 200k?

Last edited:
How many miles did you get on your subaru? I am with you on the reliability. I have had 2 coils replaced, control arms, i flush the trans every 20k and had the water pump replaced at under 70k miles. I can live with the control arms and ignition coils, but when it comes to the water pump and other high ticket items i can't really accept that. Especially with a vehicle this pricey.

If you plan on keeping it to around 150k you'll want to replace these items as you approach 100-120k. Water pump, plugs and intake gaskets (inspect the coils at that time as well). The water pump is a major job on these cars so definitely prepare for this. There are a few other items that others have mentioned like control arms and minor repairs. Other than that just keep up with your normal fluid changes and you should be good.

I have a 1994 legacy that has 230k now and I have done the timing belt and water pump twice (the water pump on timing belt engines should be replaced upon timing belt service, however its much easier to replace and much cheaper for that reason) its had brake pads all around twice, and new struts and new front cv axles and obviously spark plugs several times. Thats it original transmission and transfer case and engine all control arms etc coil packs..... I have a 2001 outback H6 that has 150k I have changed the alternator and brake pads and spark plugs once and one cv axle the rest is original. I would drive either of them across the country today...

2008 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD, 145,000 miles, replaced transfer case, right rear differential mount, alternator belt, rear brake pads, front brake pads & rotors, front wheel hub left. Love the look of the 2nd generation but must resist.

I'm now up to 93k on my 2008 GT.
Preventative: Brakes, Spark plugs, Slip belt & Serp belt, trans drain & refill
Non-preventative: Windshield wiper plastic cap cracked and fell off for no reason, fan motor relay 1 minute fix
Recall & TSB: Lower control arms, interior silver door trim scratched, replaced awhile ago under warranty
Also, the headlamp vertical adjusting motors have gone to crap.
For a vehicle of this age, you just can't get any better than this.
Sadly, it doesn't get driven much anymore and just sits in the garage, mainly because around town it just uses too much fuel. Shiny oem trailer hitch also just sits in my shed.
I've thought about selling it, but the utility it offers makes it a must have (trips to Lowes, hauling a bunch of kids when needed, towing a trailer, bikes, etc)

2008 CX-9 GT AWD. My moms car I drove for a few months in between my own vehicle sitatuon. It was at 96K miles, only issue was a fuel injector replacement. I just picked up a M6 at 45K miles CPO. I am so excited and looking forward to many more worry free miles.

My newest CX-9 is a 2015 and it has 22,000 on it. My 2011 had 130,000 before I traded it and my 2009 has 140,000 before I traded it. Great cars. My 2011 had a vacuum pump fail but otherwise it was just tires and routine maintaining. I put rear brakes on the 2011, which was weird, but I think I had a sticking pad. Otherwise I couldn't wear out the front brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ours turned 3 years old on 9/14 and it was just a few miles over 90k. Regular maintenance (haven't even had to replace brake pads!).

My 2008 CX-9 transfer case broke at 123,000 miles. Not pleased. The car looks like new and gets every service required by the book. Told $1700 to replace the transfer case and 90% chance needs a new transmission as well. Another $7000 installed. TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED. Told my wife we're selling her 09 CX-7 soon and I went out an bought a new 2016 CX-9 GT. I'm a glutton for punishment.

My 2008 CX-9 transfer case broke at 123,000 miles. Not pleased. The car looks like new and gets every service required by the book. Told $1700 to replace the transfer case and 90% chance needs a new transmission as well. Another $7000 installed. TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED. Told my wife we're selling her 09 CX-7 soon and I went out an bought a new 2016 CX-9 GT. I'm a glutton for punishment.

Have you considered getting a used/'recycled' transfer case and/or transmission (if needed)? Buying low mileage parts and components from auto salvage dealers can save you a ton of money! For example, I had to replace the (manual) transmission in my 2006 Mazda3 in 2010 and the A/C compressor failed at the same time. I paid $675 for a transmission and A/C compressor from a 2007 Mazda3 that was totaled with 14k miles on it. The dealer estimate was over $3200 and an independent mechanic quoted $2500. My mechanic installed both for $250, so I paid a total of $925 ($1575-$2275 less than a dealer or other shop would have charged)!

The website car-part.com searches hundreds of auto salvage dealers for parts and lets you see what is available and the price. A transmission with under 80k miles can be had for $1200 or less. A transfer case with under 40k miles is in the $600-$700 range. Then you'd only need to worry about having a mechanic install them. It would be a much more affordable way to get your 2008 CX-9 back on the road.

Only 18,000 on our family's 2013 GT. Looks and works like brand new. I decided to keep this vehicle and just bought it out of lease.

Have you considered getting a used/'recycled' transfer case and/or transmission (if needed)? Buying low mileage parts and components from auto salvage dealers can save you a ton of money! For example, I had to replace the (manual) transmission in my 2006 Mazda3 in 2010 and the A/C compressor failed at the same time. I paid $675 for a transmission and A/C compressor from a 2007 Mazda3 that was totaled with 14k miles on it. The dealer estimate was over $3200 and an independent mechanic quoted $2500. My mechanic installed both for $250, so I paid a total of $925 ($1575-$2275 less than a dealer or other shop would have charged)!

The website car-part.com searches hundreds of auto salvage dealers for parts and lets you see what is available and the price. A transmission with under 80k miles can be had for $1200 or less. A transfer case with under 40k miles is in the $600-$700 range. Then you'd only need to worry about having a mechanic install them. It would be a much more affordable way to get your 2008 CX-9 back on the road.

Thanks for the advice. Your price is amazing, but my guess is it's time to walk away from my losses and not sink anymore money into the car.

Back